Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Yeah, we started reservations at our store (Borders Express) a few weeks ago...we're already have around 30 reservations. I'm pumped (I'm currently reading Half-Blood Prince right now).

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: We have a tentative date of July 7 for the release.

Hmmm, I could have sworn that that date had come up here before, but apparently not. I do know it was some time ago that I heard the 7th Harry Potter book might very well come out on the 7th day of the 7th month of the 7th year of the new millennium. (Kind of like The Omen's release date of 6/6/06, except, y'know, not so diabolical.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: We have a tentative date of July 7 for the release.

Hmmm, I could have sworn that that date had come up here before, but apparently not. I do know it was some time ago that I heard the 7th Harry Potter book might very well come out on the 7th day of the 7th month of the 7th year of the new millennium. (Kind of like The Omen's release date of 6/6/06, except, y'know, not so diabolical.)

Alas for this superfluity of sevens, publication date has been put back to the 21st. This from today's Publisher's Weekly:

The Harry Potter bookselling bonanza will take place this July, though not on July 7 as many expected, but two weeks later, July 21. Scholastic announced this morning that the final volume in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, will be priced at $34.99, the first price increase since 2003. Scholastic has received the manuscript, but no page count has been released, though at the hefty price the book is likely to be a long one. Amazon is already accepting preorders and is discounting the title at $18.89. It will be interesting to see how the discounting story plays out in the U.S. In the U.K., where a number of independent booksellers said they won

JK Rowling has revealed in a diary entry on her website that she experienced very mixed emotions at finishing the manuscript of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

'Charles Dickens put it better than I ever could':

'It would concern the reader little, perhaps, to know how sorrowfully the pen is laid down at the close of a two-years' imaginative task; or how an Author feels as if he were dismissing some portion of himself into the shadowy world, when a crowd of the creatures of his brain are going from him for ever.'

To which I can only sigh, try seventeen years Charles . . .

. . .

I've never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric.

I feel that when I finish my books, so I can imagine it must be much, much worse after writing a series like this.

Edited by Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins wrote:

: I feel that when I finish my books, so I can imagine it must be much, much worse after writing a series like this.

Just imagine how she'll feel once the last MOVIE is finished, in, oh, three years or thereabouts.

Tony Watkins wrote:

: I feel that when I finish my books, so I can imagine it must be much, much worse after writing a series like this.

Just imagine how she'll feel once the last MOVIE is finished, in, oh, three years or thereabouts.

I think she'll find it less traumatic - she's finished the story itself which has been a part of her mind for so many years. The films are distanced from her (however much she is involved in them) in a way that her own pen on paper isn't.

The Harry Potter bookselling bonanza will take place this July, though not on July 7 as many expected, but two weeks later, July 21.

Say, does this have anything to do with 7/7 being the date of the London transit bombings?

The Harry Potter bookselling bonanza will take place this July, though not on July 7 as many expected, but two weeks later, July 21.

Say, does this have anything to do with 7/7 being the date of the London transit bombings?

I wouldn't have thought so.

This is completely unrelated, but I will turn 30 on 07/07/07.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Jason Panella wrote:

: If she's anything like me, she should make a back-up copy of the manuscript.

You mean, by Xeroxing it? By writing it out again? By using one of those devices with the multiple pens? :)

One of the things that leapt out at me when I read this was that her manuscript really IS a MANUscript, i.e. a script written by HAND, at least in parts. I know old farts like Woody Allen and George Lucas write their screenplays this way, but I would have thought that J.K. Rowling would at least use a typewriter, or bring a laptop with her on her vacation, or something.

Well, Peter, I started writing my own stories at the age of 11 and I did so with pen and spiral notebook paper. When I wrote my first research paper at the age of 15, the teacher told us we had to submit it typewritten. Ouch. So I wrote it all out by hand, then transcribed it from my hand-written manuscript to the typewriter. Very laborious. When I got to college and got my first computer, I still wasn't able to think "through" or "with" the keyboard. Instead I was still in the habit of thinking "through" and "with" the pen and paper. The keyboard was just busywork with no creativity associated with it. My internal brain-wiring for my creative faculties was NOT routed through my schema of the keyboard, only through my schema of the pen. In fact, I didn't even have the ability to READ from the computer screen. I had to print it out, then take a pen, and read it as hard-copy, make manul corrections, then go back and transcribe the corrections. Very labor-intensive.

Until...

I had a serious deadline: ONE hour! I did NOT have the time to write out this one essay by hand, and THEN transcribe it to the computer screen, and THEN spell-check, and THEN print, and THEN re-read etc. I had to do it right then and there on the screen, hit print, and then race across campus and hand it to my professor.

I was PARALYZED with fear! I now had to think in another language entirely! I had to re-rout a life-time of internal wiring. But I was under the gun, so I just .... DID IT! It was a HUGE leap for me to do that and I'm so glad I did. I rarely do it by hand anymore. But if I had to, I think I could.

I suspect maybe Rowling might never have made that same leap that I forced myself to undertake. She might be a product of her generation.

This is completely unrelated, but I will turn 30 on 07/07/07.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Happy b-day! B)

What makes this even weirder is that one of the words appears to be treated like a noun, yet the two online dictionaries I checked both have it listed as a verb, only. Of course, I am familiar with the expression '

All Hallows Eve

', which is now known as '

Halloween

' and is related to '

the Feast of All Saints

' -- so are there "

saints

" in the Harry Potter world? Or is this referring to some utterly, completely new invention of Rowling's?

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS???

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Its quite an interesting name, but no one knows the true meaning it has, and alas what connextion it has with the story of Harry

The cover art has been released by Bloomsbury (global English-speaking, except USA) and Scholastic (USA):

Children's Edition:

normal_UKDeathlyHallowsChildrens.jpg

Adult Edition:

normal_UKDeathlyHallowsAdult.jpg

But the Scholastic one is the best by far with a single image wrapping around the book:

normal_USDeathlyHallowsCover2.jpg

The cover art has been released by Bloomsbury (global English-speaking, except USA) and Scholastic (USA):

Ahhh, that explains why the cover looked so weird when I first saw it, and why the artist's name was unfamiliar. All our editions are Scholastic; I guess I never realized the books are released with different cover art in the U.S. ... and certainly never knew there's a special "adult edition"! Is the adult cover art designed to fake out other readers at the beach or on an airplane who would scoff at an adult reading a Harry Potter book? ;)

Mark wrote:

: I guess I never realized the books are released with different cover art in the U.S. . . .

Heck, how else did you think you got the Americanized title of the first book, or that mysterious extra passage in the sixth book which had some fans thinking that Dumbledore might have faked his death? You're getting an entirely different book, mate! :)

Heck, how else did you think you got the Americanized title of the first book, or that mysterious extra passage in the sixth book which had some fans thinking that Dumbledore might have faked his death? You're getting an entirely different book, mate! :)

I knew about the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone name thing, but .... a mysterious extra passage in Book Six?? I plead ignorance. Really!! What's that all about?

I should mention being a latecomer to Potter-mania, having read all six books in the past two years. When Half-Blood Prince came out, I was still reading Goblet of Fire, and didn't pay much attention to the hoopla surrounding Book Six's release.

Mark wrote:

: I knew about the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone name thing, but .... a mysterious extra passage

: in Book Six?? I plead ignorance. Really!! What's that all about?

There used to be a website called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, but that address now re-directs to BeyondHogwarts.com. So it took me a while to find the article I was looking for. But here it is, and here's the key excerpt:

IMPORTANT REVELATION!

UK Edition Missing Important Text!

The UK edition of Half-Blood Prince is missing some text that is included in the American edition, and it's text that is very important to this clue!

This is the text as it appears in the UK edition:

"He told me to do it or he'll kill me. I've got not choice." "Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban...when the time comes we can protect him too...come over to the right side, Draco...you are not a killer..." Malfoy stared at Dumbledore. (
HBP UK Edition pg 552
)

But this is the same passage from the American edition (text missing from the UK edition highlighted):

"He told me to do it or he'll kill me. I've got no choice." "
He cannot kill you if you are already dead.
Come over to the right side Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise.
Nobody would be surprised that you had died in your attempt to kill me -- forgive me, but Lord Voldemort probably expects it. Nor would the Death Eaters be surprised that we had captured and killed your mother -- it is what they would do themselves, after all.
Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban...When the time comes we can protect him too. Come over to the right side, Draco...you are not a killer..." Malfoy stared at Dumbledore. (
HBP US Edition pg 591
)

Both of the ommissions are directly related, they are about having Draco appeared to have died, so it would seem the ommisions are intentional.

Did J.K. include those lines originally, and then decide she had gone too far and made the clue too transparent and obvious? Is it possible she decided to remove them, but the lines got accidentally included in the American edition anyway?

Make of all that what you will!

...Did J.K. include those lines originally, and then decide she had gone too far and made the clue too transparent and obvious? Is it possible she decided to remove them, but the lines got accidentally included in the American edition anyway?

Make of all that what you will!

Oh my word. I hadn't heard about this. I don't know whether to feel cheated that I didn't get these lines in the UK, or disappointed that I now have a clue JKR didn't want me to have or what. Of course, given the way the scene in question transpires, it could be a complete irrelevance now. So I'll settle for feeling confused for now, I guess.

John Granger posts lots and lots (and lots and lots...) of thoughts on the possible meaning(s) of the title.

Although very lengthy, very worthwhile! Having just finished listening (an aural re-"read") to HP&tHBP (#6), I think Granger is very much on the right track here with his alchemical symbolisms.

Eh, it's just 'cause he's Hermione's uncle...

I'm a buit surprised this thread hasn't gotten any attention in recent weeks. I guess with Overstreet's book, this has been on the backburner around here.

The Mrs. and I got our book at midnight last night. Like the previous two books, we purchased at a grocery store. It wasn't too festive, but it was fun. It has become a nice tradition for us. When the 5th book came out, there was maybe ten people waiting for it. I'd estimate there was around 50 this time. The real party was at our most popular local bookstore. We walked by it at one point during the evening and I'd guess there was 200 people there with waaaay too many people dressed up in costume. There was no costumes at the grocery store, but we did stand in line behind a Potter fanatic. She prededed to tell us about her experience last year in Las Vegas at a Harry Potter convention. I had never heard of such a thing and asked her about it. I guess it is like any academic conference: full of workshops where people discuss, prove, and disprove theories. She mentioned one particular workshop where the leader "proved" that it would be genetically impossible for the pure-blood wizards to die out. Sounds pretty intense if you ask me.

Anyway, about the book. I'm three chapters in - it's fast paced. It hits the ground running, that's for sure.

Anyway, about the book. I'm three chapters in - it's fast paced. It hits the ground running, that's for sure.

I'm on the third chapter as well, Kyle, and I agree completely. I'm really enjoying it so far; if anything, it's taking me by surprise with how she handles certain things.

I quit the bookstore job I had for years a few weeks ago (I got a job at a college, my alma mater). I still went to volunteer last night. This is a small, mall-based bookstore. We had nearly 1000 reservations. There were AT LEAST 800 people there last night. Incredible.

I was more than a bit off on my estimate. Like your store Jason, approximately 900 people pre-ordered the book. Village Books in the Fairhaven district of Bellingham, where it was most popularly pre-ordered, had an estimated 1000-1500 at their pre-release festivities. It's too bad it was a rainy night. It looked like they were having fun thus far.

So far, I'm about 250 or so pages in. I'm liking what I've read so far. Not that I can prove I made this prediction but

my prediction that a wizards treatment of house-elfs would make a big difference on how this iwould all shake out seems to be coming true.

Edited by Kyle

Kyle, I have a similar tradition. I usually go with a friend to a bookstore that is about 45 minutes away to talk with other friends and watch people play various game. Then my friend and I leave once the sale starts, go to the local Walmart and grab a copy.

The large bookstore is always packed, but last night was ridiculous. I was amazed at how many people were there.

When book five came out, there were probably fifty people at the local Walmart. Book six, there were comparable numbers. Last night, there was an amazingly large number of people at Walmart. I didn't count, but I'd say it was easily around 500.

I wonder what people will do now that the series is complete? If bookstores are savvy, they'd do an annual late night Harry Potter vigil on his birthday -- July 31.

I finished it yesterday. That's right, I read it all in one day. Overall I was very pleased with it. It was a fitting finale and provided a deep sense of closure and completion. There was much to applaud. I'm currently too tired to think as it stands now so more thoughts will come later.

I finished it yesterday. That's right, I read it all in one day. Overall I was very pleased with it. It was a fitting finale and provided a deep sense of closure and completion. There was much to applaud. I'm currently too tired to think as it stands now so more thoughts will come later.
I finished it tonight and largely agree with your comments, Kyle. It was a satisfying ending. My initial thought is that the

not quite death/rebirth worked, and even though Harry is alive at the end, there was still a sense of completion for me.

Finished the book yesterday, and while I agree that it provides nice closure, I am sad that the series is over! As I was nearing the final chapters, I almost wanted to read slower so that I could postpone the end!

Would the ending count as a death and resurrection? Seems Harry may be quite the Christ character. I totally cried as he was walking into the forest to allow Voldemort to kill him.

Edited by JennyLynne