Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where the Wild Things Are

236 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

<a href="http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117935686&categoryID=13&cs=1" target="_blank">Warner Brothers gives <b>Where the Wild Things Are </b>into the hands of one of the wild things... <b>Spike Jonze</b>.</a>

(It's a Variety story, so the link won't do you much good unless you have a subscription.) Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

FYI, the link works fine.

Posted · Report post

Huh.

When I click on it, it takes me to the first couple of sentences to the article, then says, "WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY?" When you click on that, it asks you to subscribe to Variety...

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(Jeffrey Overstreet @ Jan 9 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]97179[/snapback]

Huh.

When I click on it, it takes me to the first couple of sentences to the article, then says, "WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY?" When you click on that, it asks you to subscribe to Variety...

Just below that is a link that says "READ THE WHOLE STORY FOR FREE". Click that, and wait through a 15 second ad for something or other, and you get to the story.

Posted · Report post

ohmy.gif

An image from the movie released to MTV yesterday. Not much to go on. Plus, it seems to me that this image had been released a few months back.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Where the Wild Things Are may be in real trouble, and may have to be reshot. Apparently filming is running into some major obstacles in the area of "special effects", but the actual reason may have more to do with Warner Bros. not caring for the films' tone and a dislike of the lead actor.

Story here.

A portion of the special effects side of the controversy...

The film uses people in huge Jim Henson Creature Shop suits, and the plan was to shoot the suits and animate the Wild Things' faces later. That has been proving to be more technically difficult than anyone had foreseen, even though test footage had been shot (a leaked clip from the movie that hit the internet this weekend was in fact some of that test footage, according to a statement from Spike Jonze). This is a bad situation, obviously, but one where some footage could be salvaged, meaning that a complete and total reshoot of the film wouldn't be necessary.

A portion of the Warner Bros. concern over tone and the lead actor...

Sources tell me that the suits at Legendary and Warner Bros are not happy with Max Records, the actor playing Max, the mischievous boy who is crowned King of the Wild Things. Worse than that, they don't like the film's tone and want to go back to the script drawing board, possibly losing the Spike Jonze/Dave Eggers script when they do it. Apparently the film is too weird and 'too scary,' and the character of Max is being seen as not likable

And, from YouTube, the leaked test footage that has been circulating, and causing concerns that the entire film looks like this...

Also, for an interesting look back, a 1983 test scene for a possible Disney treatment of Where the Wild Things Are, combining traditional cel animation with state of the art computer animation, under the direction of newcomer John Lassiter...

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

Wow. There is a passionate appeal on Ain't It Cool. Sounds like this is a beautiful thing. And it may not ever see the big screen.

Posted · Report post

Can Spike Jonze save 'Where the Wild Things Are'?
Something has gone very wrong with "Where the Wild Things Are," the much-anticipated Spike Jonze adaptation of Maurice Sendak's classic children's book. The $80-million film, with a script by literary cool-guy Dave Eggers, was filmed largely in the second half of 2006 in Australia. It was originally slated for release this October but got pushed back to the fall of 2009. Last week it disappeared entirely from the Warner Bros. release schedule, a sign of continuing troubles.
Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times, July 11

Posted · Report post

According to this brief article, Warner Bros. has now set an Oct 16th, 2009 release date for Where the Wild Things Are. No info on what is actually happening to the film (rewrites, reshoots, recasting, etc.) during that 13 month time period.

Posted · Report post

Interesting article on Sendak in the Times here:

That Mr. Sendak fears that his work is inadequate, that he is racked with insecurity and anxiety, is no surprise. For more than 50 years that has been the hallmark of his art. The extermination of most of his relatives and millions of other Jews by the Nazis; the intrusive, unemployed immigrants who survived and crowded his parents

Posted · Report post

Nice lengthy interview and screenshots up at AIC.

Posted · Report post

An in depth interview, plus some intriguing photos at the end. (That's where I snagged my new avatar).

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

!!!

Now there are two.

Posted · Report post

QUOTE (Overstreet @ Mar 25 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree completely. This is the best trailer I have seen in a long time.

Posted · Report post

Totally. I watched that a couple of times in awe. Quicktime doesn't work well on my comp. at work, so I'm actually antsy to go home and watch it again!

It was also really cool to see Eggers and Jonze's name up there together on the screen, for what it's worth.

Posted · Report post

Really, really beautiful. Loved the beginning shots, especially the bits of leaves on the creature's fur and the glimpse up of the trees. Love the natural feel of the clips. Definitely a must see. biggrin.gif

I'd have to agree about the music as well. Nice to have one song all the way through. Remember back when nearly every trailer had Enya music in it?

Posted · Report post

Peter Suderman:
. . . And it seems like Jonze

Posted · Report post

Yes, I can see why some folks would have issues with the trailer, but it is one of the most visually striking trailers I've seen in a long time. I think that it will be a tall order for the movie to live up to it, but if it does, it will be a real treat. I will also be more than willing to forgive any departures from the source material. For one thing, an adaptation that didn't take a lot of liberties would only be ten minutes long.

Posted · Report post

The original animated version, produced in 1973 by Gene Deitch:

Posted · Report post

I have to agree with all the praise that has been heaped on this trailer. My wife and I have watched it quite a few times, I think just seeing the Wild Things brought to life so faithfully, so wonderfully, it's nostalgia at a deep deep level.

As for the song choice; sure there's an element of hipster/indie to the choice of The Arcade Fire, but the lyrics fall in line with the theme of the book quite well:

"But the children don't grow up
our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up
we're just a million little gods causing rainstorms
turning every good thing to rust"

The song continues to say "I guess we'll just have to adjust," a line which is not in the trailer; I think because that's the theme of the film and it explores that part with the story; how to adjust to the fact that we ruin everything that's good about life.

Posted · Report post

Winston wrote:
: . . . just seeing the Wild Things brought to life so faithfully . . .

They are? What about Millman's critique on this point:
And forget the sad-eyed kid