The BBC notes "the most successful entertainment venture of all time"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4594084.stm

I'd like to hear an argument for the role of professional/college sports as entertainment, and see if there are any challengers to the above mark.

And on a personal note, Ruth and I spend the last few hours of our honeymoon singing Phantom at the top of our lungs as we drove to the airport. No shame... :)

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I'd like to hear an argument for the role of professional/college sports as entertainment, and see if there are any challengers to the above mark.

I suppose it would depend on the definition of success...

And I don't think I'm the person to argue FOR sports as entertainment. Though with as much money as one must continually invest in sports programs, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't as financially successful as Phantom. It's also hard to compare the sustained effort of a professional or scholastic sports program with one single show production.

I'm just glad that CATS isn't the longest running Broadway show anymore. At least Phantom has a plot.