Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Super Bowl XL

Who Will Win Super Bowl XL?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's the Seattle Seahawks (NFC Champs, 1st Super Bowl Appearance) vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers (AFC Champs). Who will win and by how much?

::bearballoon::

Ahhh, it's been a fun ride here in Seattle.

But I can hear the bees buzzing. And the sad thing is, they're probably just signs of Seattle psychosis... the fact that we've been conditioned to believe we can't win a bloody thing.

What do I think I'm doing, voting against my own team in this poll?

I'm exhibiting the consequences of having given up on Seattle teams many years ago. They're usually too bad to bother noticing. When they do well, they take us to the brink and then blow it rather spectacularly. Watching the game today, I remembered fondly being a kid in Portland, Oregon exultant that the Trailblazers won the NBA championship in 1977. I haven't been in the right town to see a single pro team win a championship in ANYTHING since then, so watching the Seahawks win today, all I felt was the dread of another disappointment next week.

But if I can just keep myself from caring... it won't hurt...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Well Jeffrey, since I too live in the NW, I am too much like you. I fondly remember the Trail Blazers winning it all in '77. Problem was, I was two years from being born. Since then I've watched Vinnie Johnson, Magic, Michael Jordan, and Shaquille O'Neal rip my heart out. I've witnessed the Mariners win 116 only to lose in the ALCS. For most of my life I didn't know it was possible for the Seahawks to even compete in the Super Bowl. I thought that was for other teams. To top it off, I was born and raised a Washington State Cougars fan. How futile is it routing for the Cougars? They've pefected the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. People didn't coin the phrase "Couged It" without reason. I have come to realize that I root for losers. I'm OK with that. You can't accuse me of being fickle.

That being said, I believe, with a grain of salt, the Seahawks will win Super Bowl XL. I now, because of my bold prediction, take on full responsibility if the Seahawks do lose.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I don't care. I have no life in me anymore. I am a husk of what I once was, a mere shell of a man.

Sigh.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

I was still a Broncos fan in Seattle. It's a 20 year affair, man.

-gnash! gnash!-

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Wimps, one and all.

Try being a Cleveland sports fan. First, we're talking about Cleveland, where it starts snowing in October, stops snowing in May, where the river catches on fire, and where the night sky is perpetually orange from the pollution spewed from the steel plants.

The last Cleveland championship? The Browns in 1964. 1964. The Beatles had just appeared on Ed Sullivan for the first time. Women wore pillbox hats. You could still buy an Edsel. McDonald's had sold more than 1,000 hamburgers. Get some perspective here, you crushed Denverites and hopeful Seattleites. Before that it was the Indians in 1948, not far removed from when guys still wore buckskin and rode around in Conestoga wagons. Championships for the Cleveland Cavaliers? None. Ever.

That said, I'm hoping for a glorious Seattle victory. Rooting for the Steelers is like rooting for Stalin or Chairman Mao.

I can't wait for spring training. Just one championship in my lifetime. Just one.

I'm not voting in this poll. I am posting just to say, in response to Andy's lamentations, that after that ball bounced out of Jerome Bettis's arm at the Indianapolis goal line last Sunday, once it was clear that it would not cost them the game, it seemed to me that the only verb capable of describing that play would be to say that the Bus "nearly-Bynered."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not voting in this poll. I am posting just to say, in response to Andy's lamentations, that after that ball bounced out of Jerome Bettis's arm at the Indianapolis goal line last Sunday, once it was clear that it would not cost them the game, it seemed to me that the only verb capable of describing that play would be to say that the Bus "nearly-Bynered."

Yeah, yeah. You had to remind me. That was "The Fumble." There was also "The Interception." And "The Drive."

In other sports, there was "The Pitch," the one delivered by Jose "Costa" Mesa (as in "You put me in the game, and I'll cost a great team the World Series") in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the WS in 1997.

So close. So close. And it is coming.

I have a dream. I have a dream that one day the great city of Cleveland will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "More bratwurst and beer, eh?" On that day in the industrial wastelands of Parma and Brook Park the sons of former steelworkers and the sons of former Ford assembly line workers will be able to sit down together at a table of feasting and celebration. I have a dream that one day even the city of Pittsburgh, a forsaken city, choking on the poison of misguided allegiance, will know the truth and will be set free. I have a dream that my two children will one day live in a city of greatness, where they will not be judged by the fires on their rivers, but by their Cleveland Indians 2006 World Champions hooded sweatshirts. In that day there will be no more weeping, or fumbles, or interceptions.

I keep hope alive.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Yeah, the Mayor of Windsor, Eddie Francis just annouced that the transit company (city run) I work for is giving FREE rides to Ford Field in Detroit. How nice that our city is not in debt to give away freebies like that. Probably figures we'll take in so much tax revenue from Americans coming over here (to the strip clubs) that we can do that. I LOVE YOU MAN!

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

Probably figures we'll take in so much tax revenue from Americans coming over here (to the strip clubs) that we can do that. I LOVE YOU MAN!

Oh. They START with their clothes on now (hence "stripping")? Not just the "Windsor Ballet", but the Cuban cigars. It's all about the Cubans. Oh. And the exchange rate. Tourists don't remember the good old days of Canadian dollars = Weimar marks.

Andy, I feel for you. Jim Brown is right up there with Bobby Layne, Joe Schmidt, and Lem Barney for alltime favorite players. But '64 WAS in your lifetime.

Anyway. Looks like Detroit is inching towards a two-fer to make up for the lousy Lions and Tigers. Will they REALLY have to bother with an NBA playoff this year? The NHL summit by the 'Wings is a little more in doubt.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Pool scores: My wife got into a pool at work. ($50 1st and 3rd quarter, $100 halftime, $300 4th quarter) One set isn't bad -- Pitt. 0, Seattle 3; Pitt. 1, Seattle 8

10-3 or 13-10 halftime score would be good. Better yet would be for seahawks to win 28-21 but a game with 7 TDs and no FGs is highly unlikely.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'm spending the day with a friend who's husband and his friends give new definition to the phrase "football crazy". I have no idea who they will root for, but guaranteed that I will root for the other team.

Because I'm just like that.

(Actually, me and my friend will probably ditch the football and go shopping for earrings for my newly pierced ears, but I don't want to derail this thread with too much girliness.)

GO WHOEVER!!!

:)

Subtlety is underrated

Rooting for the Steelers is like rooting for Stalin or Chairman Mao.

OK, so here's what happened. A good little Cleveland boy loved his Tribe and his Browns, and hated the Steelers and the Broncos and the Braves, and anyone else who would regularly hand us our hearts.

Then the Browns left town. And the Tribe stopped trying to win.

And the boy had no one to root for.

And, really, the only teams he had to care about were the ones he hated. For many years, his favorite teams were whoever is playing the Yankees and the ex-browns.

Then, he realized that the only football team he really paid attention to was the Steelers - so that the ex-browns wouldn't win the division. And then it happened. He decided to root for the Steelers. And they went to the Super Bowl. They lost, but he was rooting for a team and they did well. It was a strange feeling. And he liked it. But being a Clevelander in his soul (though he'd moved to places that didn't have teams anyway), he could handle the pitiful Slash years.

And the Browns came back. And they have yet to field a team.

Go Roethlisberger, Go Bus, Go Ward, Go Polamalu. They're a team I can root for. I may be a traitor, but I just want to love a team that's worth loving.

If it helps at all, I've finally come back to rooting for the Tribe. Can't believe they gave up Coco Crisp. Though, let's be honest, it's hard to take him seriously - even though he's very good.

You have nothing whatsoever to be apologizing for. Plus, the Roethlisberger/Jeff Hartings angle ties well into your Ohio roots.

Plus, we can stand lock-step in our white-hot antipathy for the Baltimore Ravens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am rooting for Seattle, simply because I thought Frazier was a better show than Mr. Belvedere.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Was Mr. Belvedere set in Pittsburgh?

EDIT: Huh. I did not know that. I never watched the show, either, but I did not know that.

Edited by Russ

The Guardian was set in Pittsburgh. My wife and I loved that show.

Go Steelers!

Ya know, I'd like to think my wife enjoyed The Guardian because it was well written and well acted. Strange, then, that she's insisting on seeing the new Simon Baker movie tonight. I'm sure he had nothing to do with her affection for the program.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

If she's got a thing for Simon, see if she goes for George A. Romero's Land of the Dead. He's the lead in that.

Also: though the city portrayed comes off more like a Chicago/NY metropolis, the title of Steven Bochco's Hill Street Blues was a reference to the Hill District of Pittsburgh, where he went to CMU.

Plus: Hope and Gloria.

Edited by Russ

AT LAST!!!!

The weather here at Super City Central has been pathetic. We might as well have the XL in Atlanta. This morning we have snow. Enough to brighten the place up, not enough to shut the place down.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

AT LAST!!!!

The weather here at Super City Central has been pathetic. We might as well have the XL in Atlanta. This morning we have snow. Enough to brighten the place up, not enough to shut the place down.

Go Seahawks!! ::mf_hide::

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

I know the NFC used to dominate the Super Bowl, but they neer pulled off the stunt the AFC is pullin with this contest. Both teams are from the same conference.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx