Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Super Bowl XL

Who Will Win Super Bowl XL?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. The Winner of Super Bowl XL will be...

• Seattle Seahawks by 2 or more touchdowns
    • Seattle Seahawks by 1 touchdown
    • Seattle Seahawks by a field goal
    • Pittsburgh Steelers by 2 or more touchdowns
    • Pittsburgh Steelers by 1 touchdown
    • Pittsburgh Steelers by a field goal

Well, not to belabor the point, but...

(1) getting a tight end who doesn't drop so many passes

Hey, if I discovered that the refs were big Pittsburgh fans, I'd have a little trouble feeling 100% myself, especially late in the game when just about any play that goes right gets called back for whatever reason they can find.

(2) obtaining safeties who don't bite on play fakery and abandon their run support duties

Ooooh, Pittsburgh pulled off one big trick play. Yeah, the Seahawks must totally suck.

(3) sending more than 5000-7500 fans to the Super Bowl so that your team doesn't feel like they're playing in Pittsburgh. But that's just me.

With a record like Seattle's, away-game crowds proved to have very little effect on them indeed. Now, perhaps "playing in Pittsburgh" means having the field slanted against you... in that case, sure, I'll bet the Hawks missed their own level-ground playing field.

It's annoying that Jeffrey is posting about this separately, in a topic that is "locked," which links to his blog posts -- which allow no comments! That's Seattle bravery for ya, I guess.

Oh yeah, you know me... always afraid of provoking conversation about anything I care about.

No, I just closed the comments so that the comments wouldn't turn into yet another yelling match on the subject. I'm getting plenty of email for posting anything on the subject as it is.

And the quality of sports-related comments on the Web tend to be of a very different color than comments related to film criticism.* I didn't want to leave the door open for that.

So, if you want to write that off as "Seattle bravery," are you volunteering yourself as a fine example of "Fairfax discernment"? ::box2::

Last night, the local news encouraged fans to contribute to a fund to pay any fines that the NFL slaps on Holmgren for criticizing the refs. We're willing to back him up on those responses all the way.

*(Although I have been receiving obscene hate mail from homosexuals who think that my Brokeback Mountain review is an expression of hate and bigotry.)

So you want to post your outrage, but put a damper on people who want to express an alternative viewpoint? I suppose that's OK on your own blog; it's your prerogative. But to open a thread here and have it "locked" -- thus forcing those of us who want to respond to take up the matter elsewhere -- seems odd. (Maybe Alan locked the thread without your knowledge?)

But really, it's no big deal. I didn't much care about this Super Bowl, although I do have several church friends who are die-hard Steelers fans. And then there's you, lobbying for Seattle. Of course, I hold no grudge against the Seahawks, who eliminated the Redskins from the playoffs. :cuss: (Seattle is a superior team to Washington, so it was a well deserved victory -- even though the Redskins beat the Seahawks earlier in the season).

But as I mentioned earlier, I've been goosing some Pittsburgh fans about the Steelers victory, and I sent one of them to your blog, just to fire him up, and encouraged him to post a comment. It was this friend who told me he couldn't post a comment, and that surprised me.

Edited by Christian

So you want to post your outrage, but put a damper on people who want to express an alternative viewpoint? I suppose that's OK on your own blog; it's your prerogative. But to open a thread here and have it "locked" -- thus forcing those of us who want to respond to take up the matter elsewhere -- seems odd. (Maybe Alan locked the thread without your knowledge?)

Are you referring to the automatic occurrence of my blog entry on the "A Look Outside" section?

Those are all locked, automatically, because they refer to outside blog entries, not to threads created here. Anything I post on my blog shows up in "A Look Outside" as a locked link. Same for anybody else who registers their blogs here.

If that's not what you're referring to, then I have no idea what you're talking about.

And, like I said, I don't want the Looking Closer blog to be a place for rampant sports debate. It's a place for dialogue about the arts, and I occasionally throw in notes about other topics just to spice things up, things that aren't invitations to discussion.

Feel free to express your alternative viewpoints wherever else you want. I treat the comments as an invitation to comment and discuss CERTAIN subjects... and I don't think there's any expectation amongst bloggers that comments will always be open. Heck, a lot of the blogs I read never allow them at all, and I don't hold that against them.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Russ   

Well, not to belabor the point, but...

Hey, if I discovered that the refs were big Pittsburgh fans, I'd have a little trouble feeling 100% myself, especially late in the game when just about any play that goes right gets called back for whatever reason they can find.

You don't think that's an exaggeration?

Ooooh, Pittsburgh pulled off one big trick play. Yeah, the Seahawks must totally suck.

Of course they don't suck. Jeff, the Steelers scored 14 points on two big plays. Stopping big plays is the way to stay in a game, especially when you're playing as lousy as the Steelers played Sunday. The Seahawks lost because they gave up two big plays and made too many other unforced errors, not because of the officials or because of anything else. Safeties exist to make sure big plays don't happen. Take away those two big plays and your guys win.

Then think about how lousy special teams play cost your team 6 points in two missed field goals (and the good field position that comes with that) and Rouen's nothing-but-touchbacks punting, which saved the Steelers from having to start inside their twenty.

With a record like Seattle's, away-game crowds proved to have very little effect on them indeed. Now, perhaps "playing in Pittsburgh" means having the field slanted against you... in that case, sure, I'll bet the Hawks missed their own level-ground playing field.

Ha. I was trying to figure out what all that "12th Man" stuff means. Does it mean you send 12 fans to the Super Bowl?

Well, here's where I bail, and go back to where I started before the big game... shrugging and saying that this is the very reason I gave up watching pro-sports ages ago... because it's so rare that you actually see fair officiating and displays of real teamwork rather than ego.

The 12th Man? Hey, I'm glad Seattlites turned out to cheer their team at home this year, because the Seahawks really played like a TEAM this year. They gave us something worth watching, a cooperative chemistry that was a pleasure to see, a change from the ego and the dirty plays that tarnish almost all pro sports. But clearly, the team didn't NEED the crowd, as their record this year shows. And frankly, it's probably going to take a while before Seattleites have enough confidence that the rest of the country will respect them... thus, they're probably a little less willing to shell out enough money to feed a family for a year in order to watch one game. I don't blame them for staying home. The game confirmed their reason for doing so.

Personally, I only watched the game because my wife and I were invited over to the house of some friends we hadn't seen in a while. I had promised SDG I was going to stay home and watch Sophie Scholl so he and I could discuss it... and I wish I had... a Holocaust movie would have left me in a better mood than this. Anyway, the game quickly re-taught me the same old lesson: that these things aren't worth getting worked up about, because you can't expect fairness and you can't escape the corruption. (I'd ignore the Oscars for the same reason if I could, except that I want to do what I can to help meaningful films reach the largest audience they can.) It's not that Seattle lost that upsets me. Heck, I'm a Seattlite... I expect the local teams to lose. The Mariners, the Supersonics, and the Seahawks... they've conditioned us all to expect little or nothing. It's unfairness that rankles my nerves, and that's why I bothered saying anything at all.

But oh well, this is reminding me of why I quit playing basketball at 17 years old... I was dismayed at how the pressure of high school sports took all the fun out of playing and made it all about proving something. Same reason I eventually quit watching the NBA, and why this was the first NFL event I've bothered to sit down and watch in its entirety in a decade.

Are you referring to the automatic occurrence of my blog entry on the "A Look Outside" section?

Those are all locked, automatically, because they refer to outside blog entries, not to threads created here. Anything I post on my blog shows up in "A Look Outside" as a locked link. Same for anybody else who registers their blogs here.

If that's not what you're referring to, then I have no idea what you're talking about.

And, like I said, I don't want the Looking Closer blog to be a place for rampant sports debate. It's a place for dialogue about the arts, and I occasionally throw in notes about other topics just to spice things up, things that aren't invitations to discussion.

Feel free to express your alternative viewpoints wherever else you want. I treat the comments as an invitation to comment and discuss CERTAIN subjects... and I don't think there's any expectation amongst bloggers that comments will always be open. Heck, a lot of the blogs I read never allow them at all, and I don't hold that against them.

Sigh. Yes, that's the post to which I was referring. The one that ends with the words, "Click here to visit this post (and comments) on the originating website." No comments there, however. The only option I have is to "E-Mail This to a Friend." Nice.

I guess the tagline at the end is standard for all "A Look Outside" posts.

Speaking of taglines, Christian, I love your new sig. That was one of the best laughs on one of the best episodes of that show.

Actually, I don't think he was in a good position to make that kind of call. The ref did have a better angle to determine if the ball touched the plane of the goal line or if the ball was a fraction of an inch away from touching it. The only way to tell that is to be looking right down that plane, and Ben's eye was not right on the plane.

Not that I'm a Seattle fan, but I do like to see a fair game (even if one team's bad clock management, etc. contributed highly to their own defeat). In that spirit I disagree with the statement above.

The Steelers quarterback, with his eyes just above the football in his hand, and perpendicular to the plane of the goal line had an excellent angle to determine 1) where the football was, 2) where the white plane of the goal line was, and 3) the distance between the two.

Totally agree.

Gosh, I think that money would be better spent (1) getting a tight end who doesn't drop so many passes, (2) obtaining safeties who don't bite on play fakery and abandon their run support duties and (3) sending more than 5000-7500 fans to the Super Bowl so that your team doesn't feel like they're playing in Pittsburgh. But that's just me.

Hey, I'm a Lions fan and we've tried everything here. Seems to me that the fans and their donations can only affect the fines if the team will accept the money, and #3. Even if you COULD donate money for payroll, no way it wouldn't count under the salary cap. Believe me, we've thought of that here. The Fords have spent the money in recent years, not always in the right places....

Nevertheless, your real point has merit.

The Steelers quarterback, with his eyes just above the football in his hand, and perpendicular to the plane of the goal line had an excellent angle to determine 1) where the football was, 2) where the white plane of the goal line was, and 3) the distance between the two.

Umm, that's not where his head was. He diving and horizontal to the field, meaning his eyes were about a foot further in the endzone than the ball - not in the same plane as the goal line. The ref was in the best position to make the call.

Of course, when I asked my brother-in-law turn on his satellite this past Sunday so we could hunt down the Super Bowl, he shrugged and said it was too much a bother for him, because he'd have to go outside and reposition the dish. Plus, he said, it wasn't real football anyway, and promptly turned up the volume on the Arsenal-Birmingham match.

Silly Europeans.

Edited by Buckeye Jones