Is there life after the first novel?

Sven

Hi, all,

I just joined the forum yesterday after browsing some of the posts. I'm in the tweaking stage of my first novel (draft 5), and am convinced I've totally ruined what was once a kicka$$ story. Is it just me? Or does this happen to all writers? Up to now, I've been a consumer. This subcreation business is fraught with something or other, and I'm now hip-deep in it.

BTW, I'd just like to say that I'm saddened and depressed that the Writer's Block group is now defunct. I suppose it was inevitable, in our hustle-and-bustle world, that the Academy bow to the marketplace, but that doesn't make my anguish any less painful. I wonder if there are any writers out there who would be willing to take a look at a couple of chapters, and give me an opinion. *throws down the gauntlet* :^)

Hi Sven,

I am also a new member and am disappointed about the Writers Block. But don't get depressed. Assume that old group had been there a while and are ready to move on. Maybe the Writer's Block needs som new blood. There's you and me, for example. Maybe there are others out there.

I would be glad to give you my humble opinion at a couple of your chapters. I have finished one novel and am working on another. Hope you might like to reciprocate. (My writing is presented on my website, listed on my profile.) By the way, I live in Norway actually know few "Svens". Bring it on.

Larry

Alas, the Writer's Block only lasted a very short while. As you say, the hustle and bustle of our lives took over, so it kind of fizzled out.

But, if you want to start it up again, by all means, do so. I probably won't be a part of it this time, but there may be others who are interested. I know there was some interest in a second go-around.

Subtlety is underrated

The Writer's Block started out at full-steam, which benefitted me greatly because I was the first guy in the hotseat. But as time went on, real life started distracting everyone with shiny, shiny things, or traumas, or trials and tribulations, and it became harder and harder for everyone to devote the time they had originally intended to set aside for it. Ultimately it fizzled out.

I don't know how to sustain these things online. It's much easier to join a local writer's circle because *being there* makes it as much a social event as it does a workshop.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"