Sign in to follow this  
Tim Willson

The Amazing Race 9

CBS has announced the 22 contestants (11 teams) for the upcoming globe trot, which premieres February 28th:

-BJ Averell, 26, online tutor, Los Angeles; Tyler MacNiven, 25, filmmaker, San Francisco (best friends)

-Scott Braginton-Smith, 41, sales rep, West Harwich, Massachusetts; John Lowe, 38, wealth manager, Dorchester, Massachusetts (lifelong friends)

-Yolanda Brown-Moore, 27, science teacher, Chicago; Ray Whitty, 31, attorney, Chicago (dating)

-Monica Cayce, 23, student, Fayetteville, Arkansas; Joseph Meadows, 23, homebuilder, Fort Smith, Arkansas (dating)

-Desiree Cifre, 24, writer, New York; Wanda Lopez-Rochford, 44, corporate trainer, Smyrna, Georgia (mother/daughter)

-Michelle Garner, 36, homemaker, Hattiesburg, Mississippi; Lake Garner, 37, dentist, Hattiesburg, Mississippi (married parents)

-Joni Glaze, 44, children's minister, Katy, Texas; Lisa Hinds, 48, realtor/artist, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida (sisters)

-Barry Lazarus, 63, retired physician, Silverthorne, Colorado; Fran Lazarus, 61, retired accountant, Silverthorne, Colorado (married 40 years)

-Jeremy Ryan, 26, valet, Fort Lauderdale; Eric Sanchez, 27, waiter, Fort Lauderdale (friends)

-David Spiker, 30, musician, Manhattan, Kansas; Lori Willems, 25, Pizza Hut manager, Manhattan, Kansas (dating)

-Dani Torchio, 22, recent college grad, Staten Island; Danielle Turner, 22, recent college grad, Staten Island (childhood friends)

Here's to an improved race (compared to the drab family edition)!

No gay couples? No models? No ACTORS??

What is this race coming to???

Good things, I hope...I'm looking forward to this one. Which ones are the "nerds"?

:)

Too soon to say... There are numerous 'friends' among these teams, but no self-declared (in their bio's) "gay couples," so I'm not sure. It WOULD be a departure for this show, not to have openly gay contestants.

But, yes, we appear to be thespian-free.

Edited by Tim Willson

The bio for John & Scott says both are single and Scott resides on Cape Cod, Mass. ... their "road trips" include memories from Provincetown, Mass., which is pretty well-known in these parts as a safe haven for gay people. So, I'm guessing ...

And no professional model/actors, maybe. But look at those photos. I guarantee there are at least a half-dozen ASPIRING model-actors in the bunch!

Probably, Mark. :) Still, it looks like a good mix of ages and vocations. Most are still in their 20s, but quite a lot diversity otherwise. Still not enough family, though. I'd like to see more brother/sister, father/son, father/daughter, mother/son (NOT Susan and Patrick, oh dear Lord, no), etc.

ETA--It feels so good to get back into this discussion. I've missed it.

Edited by Ann D.

It looks like this year's "old couple" might actually have a chance to win. At least more so than the "old couples" of previous seasons. They seem pretty athletic and intelligent in their bio.

The old couple looks pretty impressive. Especially Fran, having climbed all of Colorado's "14ers". ::thumbsupup::

I'm sure the pink ladies were cast solely due to their, uh, racing abilities. I guess wearing shirts with the colors stated in large letters are part of their strategy, to use as little of their brain power in their wardrobe choices to save the rest for their racing. ;)

The bohemian buds sound like they'll be funny. It's like having a real-life Bill and Ted on the race. :)

All in all, I'm hoping for a fun race. :sport04:

I almost forgot, so I thought I'd share a reminder. The new season starts tonight.

I just watched this season's premiere, and I thought I'd post my initial impressions of the teams. I'll probably skip their real names in favor of the nicknames being used on the show (or what I came up with). I'll go in order of leg completion, or at least how I remember it.

By the way, I am sure that this entire post will be laden with :spoilers: , so continue at your own risk.

Frat boys: Yawn. They may be good racers, but there is nothing there for me to care if they win.

Hippie dudes: Funny, watchable, but still nothing initial in the caring department.

Mom & daughter: Cute girl, fiesty mama. They could stay with the front of the pack throughout the race.

Nerdy lovers: Yeah, yeah you love each other soooooooo much. I'm thinking it is a set-up for a huge relationship meltdown later. Not impressed.

MoJo: Forgettable.

Pink girls: The only things I remember are the oversized boobs. Sorry.

Dentist & wife: I guess they'll make good TV, but... that dude has control issues. And he's an idiot that can't accept blame. Bad voodoo, man.

Old couple: I really like these guys. I had read their bio on the website and expected more competition from them than what I saw in this first leg. Maybe they'll find their rhythm soon.

Black couple: I like them a lot too. They look to be physically capable, and I think they're getting the mental game in gear as well. Plus they have the dynamic of dating long distance for 5 years, and this race will be the most time they've been in the same place during that time. They seem to get along well initially, and this makes me hope for the best in their relationship.

Frosties: I don't know what "Frosties" means, but these are older sisters from Houston that are as loud as they are tall. I can't stand screaming women. I can't stand people who flippantly call out "Thank you, Jesus!" whenever things go their way, then sigh "Oh God." out of frustration when something turns sour. These "gals" immediately rubbed me the wrong way. I wish they were the ones who went home tonight. I hope they're eliminated next week.

Lifelong friends (who are gay, but don't want to advertise it, but can't hide it, so don't mention it): I didn't like these guys in the beginning. They were rather annoying. But they are nowhere near as annoying as the Frosties, and I began to warm up to them near the end. Too bad they came in last place and were eliminated.

So there ya' go. Anyone else watch it?

Biggest disappointment of the night: they didn't go anyplace interesting.

Agree with most of what SZPT had to say. I expect (and hope) the Frosties will drop out quickly. The black couple is the only one I've managed to establish any connection with at this point -- but it's early. I'm afraid the dentist & wife are going to be good enough racers that we'll have to put up with him for a long time.

It's a relief to have our show back! The helicopter shots of the city were pretty cool. The teams seem to be pretty likeable so far, except for loudmouthed Lake and the screeching Frosties (I think the name comes from their hair, which looks highlighted like Frosted Flakes). Hopefully these two teams will go soon.

I'm disappointed in the old team, they seemed kind of clueless. I was expecting more from them. I thought the nerds in love team and the hippies were fun to watch, but their schtick could get old pretty quick. The mom and daughter were both quite charming. The black couple have a lot of potential. The pink ladies should get off this show and start their own reality show on MTV titled "We're pink, we're hot, you're not. Whatever!"

All in all, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. The best part about this episode was, no gas stations, no giant chairs, and no dressing up in period costumes!

Edited by Crow

There's no one I don't like, except for the one gay guy that got eliminated. Even then, I started to warm up to him at the end.

I like Lake. I'm disappointed in his "I'll help you, well sort of, okay gotta go", but otherwise I think he's pretty cool. He's loud and exuberant and probably over-bearing, but he treats his wife well (that I could see), takes responsibility for his mistakes (reserving the tickets ahead of time), and his wife handles him really well.

I also like the Frosties. The screeching will get very old very fast, but I was cracking up at them during the entire first leg. I was really rooting for them. I hope they stay awhile--they remind me of the bowling moms.

The feisty mama is awesome. I love her.

So is Yolanda. Can that girl build a bike or what? Rock on, sister!

Don't care very much for the hippies. I don't dislike them, but won't be sad to see them go.

The female half of Mo Jo (Mo?) was annoying with her constant "whoo-hoo's", but other than that, meh. I hereby dub them Team Whoo Hoo.

I like the nerds. They are so sweet.

I was also disappointed in the older couple. I was truly set for a older team that could kick the younger team's asses. At least they owned up to their mistakes. Here's hoping they don't goof up again.

The best part of the race? The clues. The detour. Was there a roadblock (I don't remember one). The spiritual dancing. Brazil. No bunching. Using smarts instead of sex (except once). If the season keeps going like the first episode, then I think this could be the best season yet.

Loved the first episode.

I was planning to chime in here and mention how tasteless and oblivious I found the guy who kept asking people "Have you seen a black couple?" or told his significant other, "Don't let that black girl beat you!"

But then I saw that everyone here refers to them as the "black couple" as well. <_< I guess it's an easy identifier, but there was something about the way the one guy said it, in the heat of the race, that really bugged me.

I like Lake. I'm disappointed in his "I'll help you, well sort of, okay gotta go", but otherwise I think he's pretty cool. He's loud and exuberant and probably over-bearing, but he treats his wife well (that I could see), takes responsibility for his mistakes (reserving the tickets ahead of time), and his wife handles him really well.

I don't think you heard the part where he said that phoning in the tickets was "partially" his mistake, or something to that effect. He did not take full responsibility. That tells me that he has the kind of personality where his ego could be their downfall.

But then I saw that everyone here refers to them as the "black couple" as well. <_< I guess it's an easy identifier, but there was something about the way the one guy said it, in the heat of the race, that really bugged me.

Just so you know, I referred to them as that because the brash dentist referred to them as that. I think that everyone else here followed suit.

And yeah, your right. It bugged me too.

I don't think you heard the part where he said that phoning in the tickets was "partially" his mistake, or something to that effect. He did not take full responsibility. That tells me that he has the kind of personality where his ego could be their downfall.

No, I didn't hear the partially, but I did hear him blame himself for the mistake immediately after his wife said "YOU screwed up". He acknowledged it. I think the thing that tips me towards his side is how he responds to his wife when she's trying to calm him down. I didn't seem him EVER blame her or belittle her, which is more than I can say for many previous couples. Maybe that's not much to like a guy on, but for now I do.

Reminder: Starting tonight TAR will be shown an hour later, at 10:00 EST / 9:00 CST. I like the time change personally, so I can go straight from TAR to the Daily Show.

Reminder: Starting tonight TAR will be shown an hour later, at 10:00 EST / 9:00 CST. I like the time change personally, so I can go straight from TAR to the Daily Show.

It's a great move. Gets it away from House.

It was the one thing we'd watch live and put up with commercials. Now it moves to the tape machine.

Frosties are gone. Yippee!

Some of the teams that I thought were forgettable last week are becoming a little more fleshed out now, and some of that is not for the better. I'm thinking of the frat boys. Man, that one guy is thinking with the wrong head - and his partner isn't much better.

The pink girls had the "epiphany" that looks wouldn't get them as far as the thought. Wow. Deep. But still, they seemed less on this leg like simply the 18-36, male demographic eye candy, and good for them for conquering fears.

I'm adding the hippies to the other two teams that I want to succeed (the older couple, the black couple). They are good racers and their joy is infectious. I wouldn't mind the mother/daughter team to round out the top four.

MoJo is still a forgettable team. The nerds are still... in love, or something. The dentist still annoys like a growing toothache, and his suffering wife is... still suffering.

I'm glad the black couple (who I will gladly stop referring to as such and begin referring to as the "really, really fit couple" (rrfc)) are inching their way up in the standings. I hope they keep it up.

I would have been really ticked if the older couple was eliminated because of engine trouble. But they've seemed to eek it out each leg so far. I would like to see them last longer than any prior season's seniors team. It'd be great if they won too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I am so ready for Eric and Jeremy to be gone. Calling them the "frat boys" is a disservice to fraternity guys everywhere. If you really like girls, OK, but sheesh, you don't have to talk about it every time you open your mouth. And what was the deal with their threatening Phil: "I'm gonna smack you, woman!" Phil's raised eyebrow was priceless, like he was saying, "Bring it on, turkeys!" ::box2::

I feel sorry for Fran and Barry. They have a lot of heart, but they're not being very smart about Detours. They don't look like they'll be around much longer.

I like the hippies, the nerds, Wanda/Desiree, and Ray/Yolanda. Lake/Michelle are still annoying. I'm pretty meh about MoJo and the pink ladies.

What SZPT said, every word.

Some of the teams that I thought were forgettable last week are becoming a little more fleshed out now, and some of that is not for the better.

This might be the largest group of unlikable and/or uninteresting racers they've assembled so far. And there's no front-of-the-pack villain, like Jonathan, to deflect criticism from others.

I'm thinking of the frat boys. Man, that one guy is thinking with the wrong head - and his partner isn't much better.

My wife almost threw the remote at the screen when they made the "gettin' in the girls' pants" comment. She wants the frat guys not just gone, but dead, or at least castrated. (er, sorry, Crow ... I mean the really-horny-guys-with-good-bodies-who-have-no-jobs :D )

Best thing about last night's episode: Lake and his wife still have a chance to blow it and get eliminated.

The frat boys "hooked up" with the Pinks. I wonder if the ladies are only now discovering that the boys referred to them as "bi---es" behind their backs. (In a "nice" way, of course...)

I was genuinely worried about the woman who didn't know how to swim. How did she do it? As for the mom and daughter team, the mom's efforts were painful to watch, but I joined with the crowd cheering her on as she finally made her "dive" for the clue.

Other notes:

I've never seen so many confused taxi drivers stuffed into one episode.

The older couple seems so hopeless. Why do I keep rooting for them?

The needle-in-a-haystack challenge with the nesting dolls looked like a fool's errand, but everyone who participated seemed to find their clues relatively quickly. Even the older couple. I would've thought at least one of the teams would get "Philiminated" attempting to open their 3,644th nesting doll.

Most importantly, I got very sleepy halfway through the episode, but ate a Little Debbie "Nutty Bar," which revived me for the remainder of the episode. :)

Edited by Christian

I had the sound muted so I didn't hear any of the dialogue, but did that one guy actually grab the girl's breast? In what way, shape or form is that appropriate?

I am really liking this season. The detour was tough, and the roadblock was challenging. It feels like the racers are really experiencing the different cultures again, instead of just "go there, do this". Even though it IS still "go there, do this". :)

I was also surprised at the TBC. It's kind of early for that, no?

The older couple seems so hopeless. Why do I keep rooting for them?

My thoughts exactly. I think my "support" is also waning.

I'm just waiting for interviews with the dentist couple where the wife says that the show edited out all of Lake's good moments, and that he is really not that bad, and that he just forgot to take some medication...

About the Roadblock: I can only assume that they didn't know that the place was a swimming facility. Because how can you add "swimming" and "take the plunge" and not have it equal that you'll be going into the water?

That brings up another point: Why on earth are these people trying to face their fears during the challenges? It's a RACE! You and your partner each have strengths and weaknesses that must be exploited, not challenged. I can swim and I could dive if I wanted to, but it does freak me out a bit. My wife, on the other hand, totally digs that activity. Ergo, she'd be the one doing the roadblock that involves diving. Duh! Quit "challenging" yourself people! Leave that for when you MUST do it to get through it.

I loved it that for this episode to be a TBC, the guys who got screwed out of a first place finish were Eric and Jeremy. They deserved it. :P

And that band at the dolls roadblock was really swinging, weren't they? That was cool watching everyone trying to take those things apart. I have one of those dolls as a souvenir from a missions trip to Russia I once took, and they are some incredible pieces of work.