Sign in to follow this  
majcenoff

Sound equipment

I think md asks the most important question. Once this is defined it makes the equipment in use much more understandable.

Shotgun mic for dialogue

mixing board (to control levels better and mix multiple mics)

windscreens (to omit the potential bursts of wind into the mic)

headphones (to hear levels more accurately)

Okay, I'll actually answer the question. Currently the only mic I have is a Sanken CS-1. It's a short shotgun that is pretty great for outdoors as well as indoors. Usually I wouldn't go for a shotgun for interiors but this is a unique design that works fairly well for that application.

However, mics are merely tools in a toolbox. One mic isn't the best choice for all situations. Unfortunately a lot of us are on a budget so we end up using mics in less than ideal conditions.

For video stay away from the on-camera mic. Also I wouldn't necessarily pick mics made by Azden. But then again they are pretty inexpensive.

And.

If you're doing any kind of outdoor recording you absolutely need a windscreen. Even mics that cost thousands of dollars need windscreens. And if it's on a boom, put the mic on a shock mount of some sort.

Usually I wouldn't go for a shotgun for interiors but this is a unique design that works fairly well for that application.

I have used shotgun mics indoors, mostly due to a large room and the echo you can eliminate, however, I am shooting an interview tomorrow and would be interested in what type of setup you would use.

You can "get away" with shotguns inside it's just not ideal. The large room helps. Problems are more pronounced in smaller rooms.

With interview I usually have a shotgun or hyper on a mic stand just out of frame, either from above or below. Both work well, the bottom micing just gives more bass, usually because of proximity to the chest. Or I use a lav depending on the person.

With interview I usually have a shotgun or hyper on a mic stand just out of frame, either from above or below. Both work well, the bottom micing just gives more bass, usually because of proximity to the chest. Or I use a lav depending on the person.

I just finished the first of many interview setups. It went quite well. I chose not to go with a lav because nervous people move and figet and I wanted to avoid the rubbing noise the mic could pick up.

We setup a shotgun mic above and in front of the interviewee with a super-cardiod setting and had the mic pointing more at the mouth. Oddly enough, the only mic they had to use was an Azden. I ran the mic through a Mackie 12 channel mixing board (overkill a bit) but it has pre-amps on it and allowed for cutting frequencies. The sound through the headphones was really good, now I just have to capture the video to hear how it actually sounds.

I am looking into my own shotgun to have for the rest of the setups.

The video was completed and played for two large groups of people. The reaction to it was incredibly positive and the sound for the video came out really well.

We are now looking into purchasing wireless lavilier setups for interior shoots, any recommendations?

Edited by Thom(asher)