Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Title my song!

So. What I have 95 percent composed is an arrangement of "More About Jesus" for handbells. (I think this hymn is kind of blah, actually -- I chose it solely because it'd never been arranged for handbells before -- so I injected it with some patented M. Dale Prins harmonic weirdness and such.) Because of the latter part of the above parenthetical, I didn't want to call the piece simply "More About Jesus," because both (a) people who are fans of the song may not like my arrangement and (B) people who are not fans of the song may very well like my arrangement. I was considering calling it "Fantasy/Fantasie/Fantasyie on 'More About Jesus,'" but I think of a "fantasy" as something that takes off in many different directions from the same source, and my arrangement really only goes in a straight line, non-traditional though that line may be. "Meditation on 'More About Jesus'" would be a good choice except that this piece is not meditative.

If I really like your idea, I will let you write the piece's dedication. If I sort of like your idea, I will use it and you will get nothing.

Also, boo on this board for cutting off the end of my subhead.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I'm not really familiar with the hymn, but here are a few twisted thoughts that appeared to me.

"More or Less About Jesus"?

"More About J

"More about 'More about Jesus'"

Or, drawing from the words to the hymn:

"Spirit of God, My Teacher Be"

"Communion with my Lord"

"His Voice in Every Line"

Or,

"More About Jesus - M-Dale Remix"

"More About Jesus - Special Edition"

"More About My Buddy"

Did I Mention This Other Thing About Jesus?

And Speaking of Jesus...

Hey, Are You Guys Talking About Jesus?

There are other phrases in the hymn that could work as titles, tho' none flashy:

More of His Grace

More Would I Know

A play on words (somewhat corny, perhaps??): An Appeal for More About Jesus

More About Jesus Rings My Bell

The Bells Ring Out - More About Jesus

The Bells Ring Out - More About Jesus
I'm guessing that handbell composers really hate using the word "bell" in a title.

TMI about Jesus

More "More About Jesus" or More "More, More About Jesus"

or maybe onomatopoeic: Ding - Ding - Dingding - Ding - Ding

how can you hate us when we're so helpful?

Edited by Darrel Manson

My Salivation Draweth Nigh (the Pavlovian Tango)

... yeah... I don't know either...

Edited by The Baptist Death Ray

I cannot believe how helpful you all have been. That is, not at all.

JO:

: Or, drawing from the words to the hymn...

I would seriously consider that, except for the fact that my eight-or-nine-or-ten-minute handbell-composing zenith, an arrangement of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," is titled, "The World in Solemn Stillness Lay." (And nothing from "More About Jesus" is nearly as memorable as "The world in solemn stillness lay.")

SDG:

: More about Jesus*

Hee hee.

JO, again:

: I Wish I Knew How to Quit Jesus

Are you looking to cut back on my sales to conservative churches?!?

Tim:

: An Appeal for More About Jesus

I almost like that -- in fact, I'd probably like it *more* without the pun.

SDG:

: I'm guessing that handbell composers really hate using the

: word "bell" in a title.

Um. We will say that I am an atypical handbell composer in this regard, and we will leave it at that.

Dale

Off the top of my head:

"Sacred Life (More About Jesus)"

"Disciple's Hymn (More About Jesus)"

"Variations on More About Jesus"

"Why Can't You Be More Like Jesus?"

"A Tune for the Passing of the Offering Plate"

"Communion Hymn (More About Jesus)"

: I'm guessing that handbell composers really hate using the

: word "bell" in a title.

Um. We will say that I am an atypical handbell composer in this regard, and we will leave it at that.

Hey. It was just a guess.

I was just thinking it might one of those things like, in the scene in The Incredibles where Lucius drops by the Parr house and Bob joshes, "Hey Lucius, ice of you to drop by!" and Lucius laughs semi-politely but then mutters under his breath, "Never heard that one before."

Or like how I once had an online friend named Lou Schwing whom I knew for years and never, ever said anything about it, and then another mutual friend once said, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Schwing!" and I thought, Dude. Did that really have to be said?

Anyway. It just struck me as plausible that phrases like "with bells on," "clear as a bell," "rings a bell," "has a ring," "ringing out/in/up/down/around/etc.," might become the sort of thing that handbell composers would very quickly tire of.

But what do I know? (OTOH, perhaps I am right-ish after all, since you say you would like Tim's suggestion better without the pun.)

"Why Can't You Be More Like Jesus?"
Ooo.

TexasWill wins.

SDG:

: It just struck me as plausible that phrases like "with bells

: on," "clear as a bell," "rings a bell," "has a ring," "ringing

: out/in/up/down/around/etc.," might become the sort of thing

: that handbell composers would very quickly tire of.

If only.

(Does that clear things up?)

Dale

Okay.

I, a handbell composer, do not like bell puns. However, I am in a minority among members of that subgenre, many of whom are very fond of puns (or half-puns) based on "bell" or "ring." Quick examples I found, just on the latter word:

* "All Ring the Power"

* "America Rings"

* "Come Christians Join to Ring"

* "Come Into God's Presence With Ringing"

* "The Happy Ringer"

* "Here We Come A-Ringing"

* "I'm Going to Ring When The Spirit Says..." okay I need to stop this horrible exercise deep breaths dale deep breaths cant have a heart attack and leave the baby at home alone for the next two hours calm visuals calm visuals seas oceans seas oceans seas oceans...

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I, a handbell composer, do not like bell puns. However, I am in a minority among members of that subgenre, many of whom are very fond of puns (or half-puns) based on "bell" or "ring."
There. I feel half-vindicated. My attempt to generalize about handbell composers may have been inaccurate in general, but at least I was in the ballpark vis-a-vis the one handbell composer I actually know.

Speaking of which, I bet real baseball players hate the expression "in the ballpark." Then again, maybe not.

Why would you think that?

Dale, whose post would make more sense if SDG had posted two minutes later

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Memo to everyone: When responding on a hot thread, you really need to quote from or otherwise indicate the post you're replying to. Now I don't know whether Dale was wittily cross-examining my statement about baseball players or Trout's title suggestion.

...and now I do.

...though actually I think Dale's post makes perfect sense either way.

Now I'm imagining a sitcom, sorta like "The Office," focusing on Dale and his handbell team, exploring the daily challenges, the soap operatic relationships, the in-jokes, the lingo, of church handbell groups.

Call it "Saved by the Bells."