Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Title my song!

You say it has "harmonic weirdness..." what kind of weirdness, exactly? If it's kind of stark and discordant, you could try "Noir about Jesus..."

Good one, BDR!

Seriously, how about: Never Enough: More About Jesus

You could put a twist on it and say it in another language, like Latin: nunquam satis: more about Jesus (if my handy online translation website is working properly).

You could put a twist on it and say it in another language, like Latin: nunquam satis: more about Jesus (if my handy online translation website is working properly).

Latin Smattin! It's overdone in sacred music...

Get innovative with it and try Dutch: "Meer over Jesus"

It looks suspiciously like "Move over, Jesus" so that folks with associate it with "Roll Over, Beethoven", Chuck Berry and the Beatles.

Not bad for a handbell arrangement! ::w00t::

Perhaps something simple like "The nice tune that I wish had better words than more about Jesus"

Ray, the Dead Baptist:

: You say it has "harmonic weirdness..." what kind of weirdness, exactly?

I'm sucky at describing such things, so to help all y'all out, I've attached a MP3 of a piano realization of my arrangement. There's a fair deal going on that's not in the realization (handbell techniques, some tempo changes, etc.), but it gives a decent representation.

Dale

P.S. Hi. Apparently my attachment did not. I will try again tomorrow.

Edited by M. Dale Prins

More About Jesus Adapted for Handbells by M. Dale Prins, PhD.

-s.

PS I like the words to More About Jesus.

Edited by stef

MP3 discussed above is here.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Erm... How can I put this politely? Nope. It isn't possible... Those easily offended may choose to avert their eyes for the duration of this post.

Here in the UK, puns with the word 'ring' in them take on a tooooooooooooootally different slant. Of the examples given, these two in particular would cause many a teenage schoolboy (and me) to guffaw out loud.

* "Come Into God's Presence With Ringing"

* "The Happy Ringer"

And so Jeffrey's suggested title would become quite appropriate.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit Jesus

Sorry. Had to be said.

MP3 discussed above is here.

Dale

Wow! I am impressed -- that's a great arrangement, Dale. Do you have an arrangement with music publishers, by the way?

Yes. The arrangement is I send publishers pieces I've done, and they say, "Why Matthew, we'd love to publish your piece," or, "Uh, yeah right."

I have three arrangements/compositions in print and two more that have been accepted and will be going to press this summer (most prominent publisher thus far: Catholic music giant GIA). Beyond that, there's 14 of my pieces currently under review by publishers, not including "I Wish I Knew How to Quit Jesus" and a finished-but-unsent choral piece. Based on my current rate of acceptance -- and based on my general feeling about the pieces I've submitted -- probably four or five of those will be accepted by the publisher who's currently reviewing them; the other 10 or so that are rejected will be shuffled around to other publishers until someone finally says uncle.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Well, shame on the publisher that turns this down! In fact, I'd say if you could take a collection of 20 compositions that re-work hymns with a similar flavor, you might have numerous publishers looking to publish a stand-alone project. I say that in part because of a resurgence in the popularity of hymns recently, and because most of the arrangements I've found are fairly standard; this could be very useful. (Note -- I'm not thinking of the handbells arrangement, which I realize is a specialized market, but I'm talking about the keyboard arrangement you linked above. I've listened to it repeatedly - love it!)

: Well, shame on the publisher that turns this down!

That's what I tell them all, but for some strange reason it doesn't seem to help.

: In fact, I'd say if you could take a collection of 20 compositions

: that re-work hymns with a similar flavor, you might have

: numerous publishers looking to publish a stand-alone project.

I'm actually looking at doing those sort of pieces for the choral market, but I'd probably start by doing them as individual octavos first rather than as a collection -- I think a collection would be a harder sell without a name name behind it. (Repetition intentional.)

: I've listened to it repeatedly - love it!

Thanks! You and m_leary can go start a fan club.

Because you love me so much, two of my published (or to be) pieces:

"Fantasie on 'There is a Balm in Gilead'", performed on handbells by Chicago Bronze, currently published by GIA

"My Faith Looks Up to Thee", performed by my MIDI software (with the same MIDI flukes -- including the ending -- I mentioned regarding my last song), to be published by GIA,

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

That would be a good title if my piece had, you know, more than one variation. But something in that vein -- "Transfiguration on 'More About Jesus'," "Mutation on 'More About Jesus'" -- is probably what I'm leaning toward, especially if I can think of a better synonym for "variation" than the ones above.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

That would be a good title if my piece had, you know, more than one variation. But something in that vein -- "Transfiguration on 'More About Jesus'," "Mutation on 'More About Jesus'" -- is probably what I'm leaning toward, especially if I can think of a better synonym for "variation" than the ones above.

"Adaptation of 'More About Jesus'"?

Edited by TexasWill

"Fantasie on 'There is a Balm in Gilead'", performed on handbells by Chicago Bronze, currently published by GIA

Do you have this in another format besides this weird Windows (.asf) format that had been designed not to work well with anything but the Windows version of the Windows Media Player?

There are literally more than two dozen handbell arrangements for "Amazing Grace," not including when it's part of a medley, an arrangement that's part of a larger collection, etc. Just as a moderately comparable example, there are only two (2) full-choir arrangements available of the also popular "Rock of Ages," which is why I chose to do the latter piece instead of the former.

Will from Texas, I'll try to work up a different format.

Dale

But something in that vein -- "Transfiguration on 'More About Jesus'," "Mutation on 'More About Jesus'" -- is probably what I'm leaning toward, especially if I can think of a better synonym for "variation" than the ones above.
"Ringing the Changes on More About..."

Ye gods, whatta meesa saying?!

Just as a moderately comparable example, there are only two (2) full-choir arrangements available of the also popular "Rock of Ages," which is why I chose to do the latter piece instead of the former.

Def Leppard handbell arrangements?

Hi. I submitted my piece today. I went with "fantasy," because the publisher I'm sending it to is pretty traditional, so wack titles were out, yo.

Also, I had another piece accepted for publication Saturday. With the rejection I got in the same letter, I'm now batting .353.

Dale

Oh, great. So I guess that means you're going to get to write the dedication, eh? I was really looking forward to what BDR was going to write...

<_<

The exegesis of more about Jesus