Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

ALIAS

So, Alias fans, what did you think?

SPOILERS ahead.

I liked it a bunch. There were a couple of things I wish they had done differently, but I liked it a bunch. This is going to be a thrilling season.

Two scenes in particular gave me chills:

1. The scene where Sydney visits Jack in prison. Victor Garber is an astounding actor.

2. The scene toward the end where Sydney blows up at Vaugh. Man, he so did not deserve that...

The thing with Sloane is...weird.

Marshall is as hilarious as ever. "I lost my keys..."

The ending was freaky.

Complaints:

The conflict with...um, that dude that she shot seemed too short, too easy.

And where the heck is Will Tippin?

Good stuff, overall.

So, Alias fans, what did you think?
I loved it.

SPOILERS ahead.

I liked it a bunch. There were a couple of things I wish they had done differently, but I liked it a bunch. This is going to be a thrilling season.

Agreed. I was worried when for a brief moment it looked like the 2 years thing was merely a set-up. I was glad when it was not. In fact, when Sidney got back and saw Dixon as the head, and they were listing new organizations and such I realized this is a whole new season. And I think that is what will make this show a long-term success. If they keep re-inventing themselves every couple seasons, it won't matter if you're coming in late. You'll still have enough story to follow along with.

Two scenes in particular gave me chills:

1. The scene where Sydney visits Jack in prison. Victor Garber is an astounding actor.

Again, I couldn't agree more. i thought he as the biggest oversight at the Emmys.

Marshall is as hilarious as ever. "I lost my keys..."

I laughed very hard at this.

Complaints:

The conflict with...um, that dude that she shot seemed too short, too easy.

And where the heck is Will Tippin?

Good stuff, overall.

I wondered about Will as well but, their lack of fast answers pleased me even if it drove me crazy. And I'm, not thrilled with the addition f a new supervisor over the head of their division who is a mindless prick. Haven't we already had two or three of these? I agree about "The Covenant"'s demise. I was thinking. Two years they've been chasing this group, and all they really needed was a wig and some handcuffs.

POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR FUTURE EPISODES (if I'm right)

Vaughn's wife is so going to be a double-agent.

And I certainly think that Rambaldi's one word message for Sloane was a load of shite.

I think Alias completely redeemed itself last night. Thrilling episode and very nice that the ending was remincient (sp?) of the pilot episode. Did anybody else catch the similarities? (i.e. needing to regain trust of the CIA and going solo to get the wanted commodity and strutting back into headquarters. . .)

However, I must STRONGLY disagree with the statement that Vaughn did not deserve what Sydney had to say. You are TOTALLY off base. I could go on with my many reasons but I am right now very surprised that you found it to be undeserving. . .

I do agree that Victor was one of the biggest oversights at the Emmy's. He truely is amazing.

It will be interesting to discover how they bring Will back into the show. . .I have some ideas and am discovering I hope that they write sometype of relationship with Sydney and Will but I know too much of the fan base wants Sydney and Vaughn instead. . .

The thing with Sloane is very interesting and several themes of redemption could be in order however, I must side with Sydney and that Sloane is still up to something and is as evil as ever. And I think the word "peace" is simply a cover for something else.

Anyways, I could continue forever about this show and I really must head to the library. . .

I think Alias completely redeemed itself last night. Thrilling episode and very nice that the ending was remincient (sp?) of the pilot episode. Did anybody else catch the similarities? (i.e. needing to regain trust of the CIA and going solo to get the wanted commodity and strutting back into headquarters. . .)

However, I must STRONGLY disagree with the statement that Vaughn did not deserve what Sydney had to say. You are TOTALLY off base. I could go on with my many reasons but I am right now very surprised that you found it to be undeserving. . .

I do agree that Victor was one of the biggest oversights at the Emmy's. He truely is amazing.

It will be interesting to discover how they bring Will back into the show. . .I have some ideas and am discovering I hope that they write sometype of relationship with Sydney and Will but I know too much of the fan base wants Sydney and Vaughn instead. . .

The thing with Sloane is very interesting and several themes of redemption could be in order however, I must side with Sydney and that Sloane is still up to something and is as evil as ever. And I think the word "peace" is simply a cover for something else.

Anyways, I could continue forever about this show and I really must head to the library. . .

For the most part, I really enjoyed the episode last night.

The acting was great - especially the scene of restrained sadness and anger when Sidney sees her father for the first time.

My complaints. I am a little tired of the "man" in the CIA who pulls rank and has a "political agenda." Alias has done this at least two times already and it gets a little old and predictable.

It was also a bit unbelievable that the NSA guy would so readily let Jack go. Was there something more to those plans?

This episode felt pretty violent to me - especially the mass killing on the train. Rather intense.

I did find myself being sympathetic towards Vaughn. Yes, he seemed to rush a bit into the marriage thing, but you can't blame him for at least moving on - after all, they had DNA evidence. Why shouldn't he think that Sidney was dead? I thought that was a bit unreasonable of Sidney - then again, it's probably hard to be reasonable when your life for the past 2 years has been erased.

One last final gripe - i wish it had been 2 hours!!

Syndey was dead. The DNA told the tale. There was no reason for him to think otherwise.

She had no right to freak out. I don't buy the whole, you're using logic, we work in a wild mixed up world, so therefore, you can't use logic. I would've waited for you with no evidence that you're alive. It was crap.

Great episode! I do agree with most of the criticisms here. The train scene seemed over the top, and Sydney's killing of the Covenant guy was much too easy.

And I love, love, love Victor Garber. Every scene he's in is riveting. His consistently great performances are what keep me coming back to this show even when it drives me nuts.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a Vaughn fan, but I thought Sydney was too harsh with him--though I can understand her feelings. To her, their relationship was still going on a few days earlier. But based on what we've been told, Vaughn had no reason to think she was alive. Yes, all kinds of crazy things happen in their world, but DNA is DNA.

However, I'm wondering if there's more to it--based partly on Jack's reaction when she mentioned Vaughn. I know there's no love lost between the two of them, but I also got the impression that there's more to his comments about Vaughn than simply not liking him. At this point, I'm wondering if he ever showed the video he showed Sydney last night to Vaughn? If he was desparate enough to go to Irina, surely he talked to Vaughn at some point. How did Vaughn react? Was it before or after he remarried? How long has he been married anyway?

(Of course, Sydney didn't have all this information when she told Vaughn off, so based on what she knew at the time--yes, I think she was harsh.)

I, too, am wondering how they'll bring Will back into the story. And I don't buy Sloane's story at all. My spoiler-free speculation is that the Rambaldi artifact did a lot more than he said--and that he knows something about Syd's whereabouts for the past two years. That Rambaldi prophesy that appeared to be about Syd was never really cleared up, was it? It was just presumed to be about her mom, right?

--Teresa

Hopefully I won't double post this time. . .Unlike Sydney I am really bad when it comes to technology. . .this I have come to grips with but in all other areas of Sydney Bristo-ness I tell myself that I am her equal! biggrin.gif

I am still holding strong. . .Syndey had every right to tell of Vaugh. Jack didn't believe the DNA evidence. Something is definitely up and I would much rather remain the idealistic romantic and believe that somehow. . .somewhere . . .my significant other is still alive than simply believe a DNA test that says they are dead. Vaugh has no excuse especially in light of Jack not believing the DNA evidence.

And I LOVED how Jack said something to the effect of "that boy Mike was never good enough for you." What a great subplot. I LOVE THIS SHOW!

My prediction before the premiere was that the Remaldi device is a time machine. . .just a hunch. . .I don't know . . .

And where do you think the mom is?!?!?!? What is she up to? That will be a fascinating plot line.

Wow. . .I really do like this show!

Now back to the library. . .

And I LOVED how Jack said something to the effect of "that boy Mike was never good enough for you." What a great subplot. I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Word. That was a good line. One of the best Alias scenes of all time, in my opinion.

I'm sitcking by my guns on the Vaugh/Sydney thing. Like Dan said, the DND confirmed that she was dead. Her little tantrum about faith and the inadequacey of rationale was just SILLY.

1. Two years is way too quick, and not everyone believed the DNA evidence. Vaugh is a punk and always has been.

2. So where did she get that Ferrari when she was rogue? And she just threw that cool missle pistol away? Yeah right, anyone who has a missle pistol isn't going to just toss it on the ground after they shoot it once.

3. Time machine was my thought as well, maybe we will all be proved wrong though.

4. Sloane is evil and always has been.

5. I did not get the joke about the keys. Can someone please explain it to me?

6. Otherwise, the scriptwriters need to get their feet back on the ground. Some of the scenes were outlandish to the point of being silly. They have her dress up and put on a wig and tight little dress for absolutely no reason. Just so she can stand in the middle of the street and shoot at a car with a missle pistol. It is not like her approach was so subtle it needed a disguise.

I have to say, I think Sydney telling Vaughn off was right on. In the context of the events of the show, some crispy DNA does not a dead Sydney make. Think of the other "deaths" -- the agent impersonating Francie, whose death was faked (by burning, no less) years before, Sloane's wife, whose finger was mailed to him, Irina's supposed death before she resurfaced, Vaughn's own apparent drowning in season 1 (I think?) -- all those people came out alive. Plus, considering what Syd's been through, I don't think she's under any obligation to provide closure for Vaughn. (As a side note, there's a recap of the speech here, though it's really not the same without Garner's phenomenal acting.)

That said, what an incredible episode! I agree that 2 hours would have been much more satisfying, as would more explanations, or at least answers to some of the more important questions. But we'll probably have to wait until sweeps for that. Arrgh!

Things I'd love to see: The Bristow family working together again (especially after hearing that Jack and Irina worked together to find Syd); more of Will being all sleuthy' a revelation as far as what that darned Rambaldi prophecy meant.

Things that rocked: "B-R-I-S-T-O-W"; "He was just a boy that was never good enough for you"; "I've lost my keys"; "Don't...don't..."

Edited to add:

So where did she get that Ferrari when she was rogue?

Apparently, there's a deleted scene in which, after telling her contact she needed clothing, she's getting the car and he says, "I though you just needed clothing!" and she replies, "A girl's gotta accessorize," or something roughly equivalent to that. So says the word on the street.

what are all the possibilities surrounding sydneys supposed death, the dna evidence, the fire, and being missing for 2 years?

who could have started the fire?

how did tippin get out?

could the dna evidence been planted? maybe a sydney clone?

was she really dead and then maybe ressurected? maybe by the rambaldi device?

prophecy stuff:

my impression of the words of the prophecy is that its a good thing. the person will bring the greatest power until utter desolation. that greatest power could be sloane and syd will be the one to bring him down.

irena said to syd last year that the prophecy is about syd. but how could it be since jack and vaughn brought her to see that mountain?

great premiere. jack is awesome. missed will.

6. Otherwise, the scriptwriters need to get their feet back on the ground. Some of the scenes were outlandish to the point of being silly. They have her dress up and put on a wig and tight little dress for absolutely no reason. Just so she can stand in the middle of the street and shoot at a car with a missle pistol. It is not like her approach was so subtle it needed a disguise.

This pretty much sums up why DH and I more or less quit watching Alias after the first episode or two. Now and then we tune in to see What In The World Is Syd Wearing/Shooting/Button-Pushing Now?

We watched last seaon's finale just to see what in the world they'd do with the tangled web they'd woven. Hmmmm... And the season premiere to see how they'd untangle it, if at all. More hmmmm, and another gratuitous wig!

I admit that if I were more invested in the series, I would certainly appreciate the acting, but for far-fetched plotting & pure adrenaline rush, give me 24.

Curmudgeon mode off smile.gif

They have her dress up and put on a wig and tight little dress for absolutely no reason.

Yeah, some friends and I were discussing that this morning, and I think you're right. But hey, what's Alias without at least one costume change?

(Didn't see this thread, somehow, so I posted some of this earlier in "Returning Shows.")

Hmm. Reading your responses, I see that I'm the only one who was really let down. I spent the hour in groans, head-shaking, and at times total indifference.

I don't like the guy who's replaced Kendall (and basically IS Kendall.) Just another arrogant, ignorant jerk who hates the Bristows.

I don't buy that Sloane could just coast into a CEO position of some humanitarian organization. Wouldn't the CIA do any maneuvering to expose the crimes this guy has to answer for.

And some of the dialogue was really painful. "Sydney, do you believe in redemption?" :x

The last-second twist was not really surprising.

This was a JJ Abrams episode? I think he's getting distracted by his movie writing. This felt like an episode he could have written in his sleep. The show is startling to lose me.

High point: "I've lost my keys. Where are they?" laugh.gif I want to hear the rest of that poem!

I don't like the guy who's replaced Kendall (and basically IS Kendall.) Just another arrogant, ignorant jerk who hates the Bristows.

I don't buy that Sloane could just coast into a CEO position of some humanitarian organization. Wouldn't the CIA do any maneuvering to expose the crimes this guy has to answer for.

I think both of these things will be further explained. Alias lasts for less than an hour a week, and the show lives and dies by its ability to keep us guessing, so I think it's safe to say that we're only seeing a small picture of what's going on with Sloane and the new CIA guy.

If you end up being right, though, and the show never explains Sloane's actions or adds depth to CIA guy, then yeah, I'll be pretty disappointed.

ugh, miserable episode last night. Everything I disliked about ep. 1 times 2

I disagree. I enjoyed it more then the premiere. Sark is always intriguing.

The meeting between Jack and Sloan was great. The interaction between Vaughn and Syd was better then the week before. Jack ignoring Vaughn was great. I think its setting up for an interesting season. I'm curious as to why Jack is pissed at Vaughn. Is it just because he moved on?

The adult theatre scene was a little much. Didn't need that background noise.

I agree that last night was better than the premiere. I liked that Syd tried to apologize for her tirade in ep 1 (even though I defended it, she needed to retract some of that) and that Vaughn got to say his bit. Always great to see Sark -- and I loved that he laughed in Sydney's face. Very bad guy, he is.

I think Jack's mad at Vaughn the way any dad would be mad at his daughter's ex-boyfriend, you know? Especially when he's seen her be so emotional.

So far, I'm not sure this season is up to previous seasons' standards, but it's still interesting and fun -- I'm giving it a few more chances before I change the channel...

I'm just tired of the mean overlord boss thing. And the Vaugn's wife thing was hopelessly obvious. AND I double dog dare the writers to go a whole episode without Garner cleavage.

I'm just tired of the mean overlord boss thing. And the Vaugn's wife thing was hopelessly obvious. AND I double dog dare the writers to go a whole episode without Garner cleavage.

All three are valid complaints, and ones that I share. But they're not enough to make me dissatisfied with the show. I don't think it was as good as the premiere, but it was still well worth watching.

It needed more Marshall, though.

Jack's meeting with Sloane was intense.

An episode without Garner's cleavage? But... but... what will we watch??

The wigs/costumes are really becoming clich

If they turn Wife of Vaughn into Syd's new best friend after the two of them bond over, I don't know, the way Vaughn leaves the cap off the toothpaste, I'll feel a little bit cheated.

Yes, that's my fear as well.

And folks, if the costumes and wigs bother you, then... why didn't you stop watching the show, oh, midway through the first season? It's nothing new. "Alias" has always been full of silly, outlandish costume changes.