ALIAS

Josh Hurst

The costumes seemed justified in early episodes, but now they come at any whim. In fact, in this most recent episode MARSHALL came up with the costume scenario. What the hell is that? I still love the show, but I feel as though they are slipping into autopilot in some respects.

And why is it that all major crime syndicates are permanently located in a hip high-profile night club?

Someday she'll have to go undercover in a laundromat that houses arms dealers, I just know it!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good episode tonight, but...

HOW THE HECK DID SARK NOT RECOGNIZE SYDNEY IN MEXICO CITY? She was only disguised in a cowboy hat and a blanket, for crying out loud! Kind of a Clark Kent/Superman thing going on, if you ask me...

But, overall, a good episode. I liked it better than last week's. Jack Bristow is the personification of the word "cool."

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Is it just me or did anybody else think last night's Alias was terrible dull?

It seems as though the energy just wasn't in the show. However, I don't know if my disappointment is because I am anticipating them bringing Will and Irina back in some dramatic way and each night they don't I become more and more disappointed.

However, there have been some interesting developments but I would really like the writers to start tying up some of the loose strings (i.e. the scar on her stomach, where Irina is, what all does Will know, what the Remaldi device REALLY was etc. . .I could go on forever) rather than keep having us wait in this terrible anticipation.

Here are some reasons for the dullness:

-Dixon has become a boring authority figure.

-Syd's quests are more and more self-interested, less and less about helping people and saving lives. ("I have to do this. For me. I lost two years of my life. Yadda yadda yadda." Listen, girl, you're an employee of the CIA. You are not being paid to run around and find out what happened to you.)

-If I have to watch Syd break one more code on a safe... and break that code with one second left on the bomb-detonation dial... I'm going to scream. (I get the feeling there is a lot of screaming in my future.)

-Supposedly suspenseful developments that insult us. Gee... do you think Vaughn is dead? Huh? D'ya think??

-Far-too-gradual development of established plotlines.

-Vaughn. More specifically, Vaughn's forehead. Who knew that furrows could have furrows in them?

Having said that, I cheered to see Justin Theroux (Mulholland Drive) join the cast. He was very impressive and practically unrecognizable, and his accent was brilliant. He's the first good villain they've had in a while.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Is it just me or did anybody else think last night's Alias was terrible dull?

I agree. I thought last nights episode was one of the worst ever, which is still not bad compared to most other shows on tv.

SPOILER

One of the things that really bothered me was Syd stabbing Vaughn. I found it hard to believe that the people she was with would think that one stab was satisfactory enough. One stragetically placed stab wound is not enough to kill anyone. And they were suspicious of her up to that point as is.

and this episode had the most cleavage i've seen in any episode of Alias that I can remember. I hope this doesn't become a pattern

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

One of the things that really bothered me was Syd stabbing Vaughn. I found it hard to believe that the people she was with would think that one stab was satisfactory enough. One stragetically placed stab wound is not enough to kill anyone. And they were suspicious of her up to that point as is.

and this episode had the most cleavage i've seen in any episode of Alias that I can remember. I hope this doesn't become a pattern

Yes.

Yes.

And yes.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I was unimpressed as well. Jack was as cool as ever, but Sloan's new role isn't as interesting as his role as the head of SD-6. Dixon is boring. Dixon has always been boring. I miss Will Tippin. Vaugh is never given any good lines or scenes anymore. His wife is annoying. And, above all...I MISS SPY MOMMY!

I haven't given up on the show yet, but I will soon if things don't regain some intensity.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I agree, I agree, and boy do I agree.

That cliffhanger was very not, although I do look forward to Wife of Vaughn threatening Sydney -- anything is better than the nontension at the briefings.

Justin Theroux was an excellent addition, and I hope he stays on for several eps. He was genuinely entertaining to watch, and did a great job on his accent. (Anyone here see Charlie's Angels 2 ? I can't believe that I'm admitting to having seen it, but Theroux did a fine job playing an Irishman there.) The chemistry and sense of danger in his scenes were better than anything else we've seen all season. (Except for Spy Daddy scenes, as Victor Garber totally owns the show.)

And we need Will and Spy Mommy back. Weiss is great, but we really need Will and Irina. Bad.

If Google Sloane's only job is to spew intel and be menacing, I'm over him. It means he's not real threat and only a minor player, and he was so much better as an actively working villan.

Having said all that.... (cue meek tiny voice) I was entertained by the episode. I thought it was good. (end meek tiny voice)

My favorite line was one of Garber's as it always is. Syd raises her concern that "coming clean" with Dixon meant putting a wedge between Vaughn and Wifie.

Garber: I do not share your concern in that matter.

Or somthing to that effect. He's so dry, it's delicious.

YES. "That is a concern that I do not share." Great line!

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I'm eager to hear what you folks thought of the latest episode. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to; I was going to give up on the show if this one was as bad as last week's, but it ended up being the most exhilirating episode since the season opener.

Jack Bristow is still the coolest character on TV.

Marshall had some funny material.

Vaughn's dream of Syd stabbing him was a little corny, but the Vaughn/Syd/Vaughn's wife thing worked much better than it usually does.

And some interesting things are happening with Sloane... finally.

Not too shabby, I say.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I didn't like it. All the episodes this season have been mediocre at best. Lauren is not an interesting addition. The show misses Will and Francie and Irina. Dixon is now a waste. Sloane is just beginning to become interesting again. Sark is not much of a villain. But just about any scene with Jack is great.

I think what the show is missing is Syd's social life. In the past two seasons, they would have her go on these intense, dangerous missions, and at the end of each mission they would flash the words "LOS ANGELES" accross the screen and suddenly we can breathe and relax again with Syd. I wonder how many times Los Angeles has flashed accross the screen so far this season. I guess if it has then it would be at the agency.

That extra dimension of relating to people like Will and Francie and Charlie and having another life besides the CIA, I miss that.

And the fact that their taking more and more clothes off of Jennifer every week is a little upsetting. Although the good news is they can't go much further then they did tonight.

I was pleased with the episode. Not outstanding, but leading some interesting directions.

Spoon? What social life would you like to see? What social life could she possibly have?

And by the way, Francie coming back does not excite me. Never liked the actress. I'm pretty sure that she's the evil chick from K-Directorate that was always Syd's nemesis. And I'm sure they're holding that over our head as if we don't know it, when in fact, its pretty obvious.

I'm not thrilled about the return of Francie, either. Liked her before, but I hate it when people just come back from the dead like that.

And geez, if they're gonna bring back an old character, why not Will Tippin? Or better yet... SPY MOMMY!

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Quite happy with the episode. Papa vs. Simon was a great moment, as was the pure-televison-thrill of watching Lauren slam on the brakes while Syd fires with both barrels. This episode was good because it tried things that haven't been tried in almost every episode. I like the idea of the tables being turned, of Sloane now working as a double-agent with Sydney looking on.

I always like Francie, and I can't wait to see her again. I thought she did a good job when she was suddenly allowed to be villianous, and was a whole lot more interesting than the rival Syd had in Season 1. If she turns out to be that character, yeah, that's predictable. But I can see them having a lot of fun with 70s-style Foxy Brown-isms using Francie.

Marshall needs to go on a mission every week.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

An upward trend that will be continued? Let's hope so.

The dream was a little obvious, but even so I appreciated seeing a bit of Vaughn's perspective. No doubt he has some Syd issues, since she has now figuratively and actually ripped him a new one. (Bad joke, sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

VG is, as always, fantastic. Did anyone else see the preview for some new sitcom of ABC's where VG plays a gay party planner? That man is funny, y'all.

And speaking of funny, I (heart) Marshall and Weiss -- two of my favorite things. While I doubt that we can expect to see many scenes of Syd's social life, since she seems to have cut herself off from all things non-CIA (as she told Lauren, that office is her whole life now), I could do with Syd/Weiss scenes that aren't office related. Quit using him as a conduit to Vaughn/Lauren info and start using him as Syd's friend.

Will... Oh, Will, please come back. Bradley Cooper was on "Miss Match" (don't watch it, it's not worth the pain) for an episode, and while it was nice on the eyes, he's capable of so much more than that silly show can offer. Go back to "Alias," Bradley! Please?

You know, watching last night's episode I could have sworn I saw Bradley Cooper's name in the credits, but maybe I was hallucinating. Anyone else see that? As far as what our chances are of having Will back, here's a copy of an E Online interview with Cooper, and from the looks of it there will probably be one episode. Sweeps, anyone?

oh my goodness. . .Will possibly not coming back? That is out of control and absurd! What are the writers thinking? However, I do agree with Bradley Cooper that Will's character was weak.

However, I think that is why we want him to come back so much is so we can see how he has taken control of his life. The whole Francie and Will subplot was terrible and never should have happened.

If for some reason a writer of Alias reads this post :wink: . . .please, oh please bring back Will!

Also, did anybody enjoy the simple but classic humor of Marshall's fake mustache? It was such a classic way to build anticipation while they were hiding under the table.

Another mediocre episode last night.

It's not horrible television, but compared to the first two seasons, it's a big step back, so far.

The one thing I am loving is Marshall, especially last night.

His song was hilarious. I loved his little outburst in the middle of the song "WE HAD SUSHI'". And i loved at the end of the song where he kept saying 'I love you' and ended up closing his eyes and thinking about her as he was saying it. Very sweet. I feel like they're setting him up for a big fall. They're making us adore this character and then they're gonna rip our heart out.

Not much Jack last night. Nice to see Will again, even though it was just in flashbacks. Sloane has been given some good lines lately. I like how we aren't sure of his intentions.

Lame.

Lame.

Lame.

Marshall? Sorry to disagree, but even that was lame... pushing his quirkiness too far. Umm, he suddenly has a full drum set in his lab?

And everybody on that team now... Dixon included... is willing to behave in a moral and legal fashion until it inconveniences them and then they happily bend the rules. Dixon was actually making sense in his decisions until he decided to indulge his OWN revenge agenda, and now he's just as dirty and flaky as everybody else.

Lame.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.