Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

Unfunny Things Seen on Church Signs

Diane   

Recently spotted in Alabama: We're souled out

YOU CAN'T WALK ON WATER -- BUT YOU CAN MAKE WAVES.

What, are we trying to drown Christ or make him trip on the water or something?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

That is the edgiest church sign I have ever seen. No fundie would go near that message!

SZPT   

I saw this on the way home from my own church. I don't know which is more odd, what the sign says or the fact that it is for an insurance agency:

[attachmentid=366]

Then there's the message on the other side:

[attachmentid=367]

edit: I think I know what that means, but... why?

post-79-1121021550_thumb.jpg

post-79-1121021564_thumb.jpg

Edited by SZPT

Why? Maybe because it is his/her sign. Otherwise, I have no idea. I'd say that flipside is preaching to the choir anyway. It took me a minute to figure it out.

SZPT   

I guess that's what I get for asking a rhetorical question on this board.

MattPage   

Might as well share this here as anywhere else. I;m thinking of getting a t-shirt that says "Jesus was a fool" (maybe with a picture) as a way both of provoking discussion and also, and perhaps primarily, as a way of getting my head round 1 Corinthinas 1, and also I guess just to challenge a generation that likes Jesus Christ as a pop-cultural icon, but doesn't really want to take the whole man seriously, particularly some of the things we (including the church) like to forget he said.

Would this be a serious error d'you think?

Matt

Matt,

I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if someone would be connecting Jesus being a fool with the pop culture icon idea. How would calling Jesus a fool get people to think of him as more than that? There might be many that would frankly agree with you. But I'm all for "drive-by evangelism" though and that's why I don't think it is such a bad idea.

On SZPT's sign thingy. Like Peter, I don't get it. The first pic, yeah. But the second one?

Darren H   

The sign right down the street from me currently reads:

"Worry is the dark room in which negativity develops."

Get it? Usually negatives develop in a dark room, not negativity. It's a play on words. Clever.

MattPage   

To be fair on that last one it wouldn't be too bad a a preaching couplet. But on a poster it's just stupid.

As for the t-shirt. Some people probably would agree, but I suspect it's such a minority view point that their agreement in itself might develop conversation. On the other hand I'm thinking particularly people who either a - know me to be a Christian and would be generally puzzled by it, and/or b - Christians who believe that Jesus should never cause offence or shock to our culture. Stu and I have been kicking around ideas on the radical and scandalous nature of the gospel and how certain approaches to evangelislm seem to think you can avoid that and gradually assimilate people. (Actually that does happen, but I do believe that there is something scandalous at the heart of the gospel and Paul uses very strong language to express and that in itself seems to be part of the way he preached...kick....bounce...kick...bounce)

Matt

SZPT   

On the "once a man twice a child"...

I'm assuming it is some attempt to be profound like Shakespeare's "Seven Ages Of Man." But it just comes across to me like a bitter wife put that up there: Yep. That's my man. What a child!

On the "once a man twice a child"...

I'm assuming it is some attempt to be profound like Shakespeare's "Seven Ages Of Man."  But it just comes across to me like a bitter wife put that up there:  Yep.  That's my man.  What a child!

OK, there's that interpretation. I was thinking in terms of a variation on "twice born", as in previously a child and now, as a man, a child of God.

SZPT   

Yeah... but mine's better.

Uh, you mean the Battle Axe, uh, loving wife interpretation? What are you, a traitor to your gender?

SZPT   
Uh, you mean the Battle Axe, uh, loving wife interpretation? What are you, a traitor to your gender?

Huh? You know I'm a guy, right?