High school competitions

I'm reading a book about 6-man football in Texas. The school that is the focus (Penelope, TX) may not have much history at football, but it is a perennial powerhouse in the state one-act play competition. Is this something that goes on in all places or is (I can't believe I'm saying this) is Texas especially enlightened?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Which part? The One Act Competition, or Texas winning it all the time? ::biggrinjester::

Actually, a lot of the one act competitions I'm aware of for high school are sponsored by major universities or part of forensics/debate schedules. While we don't compete, a lot of schools around here do.

As for Texas winning...well, dang, I just don't know the answer to that one, pard!

I'm reading a book about 6-man football in Texas. The school that is the focus (Penelope, TX) may not have much history at football, but it is a perennial powerhouse in the state one-act play competition. Is this something that goes on in all places or is (I can't believe I'm saying this) is Texas especially enlightened?

Here in Massachusetts, there is the Massachusetts State High School Drama Guild that runs one-act play competitions every year. I think I've heard of other states doing the same thing. I suspect you could find them through Google.

The Educational theatre association has an organization caled "The Thespian Society" which puts on all sorts of competitions in monoogues, scenes, one-acts and full-lengths at the regional, state and local level. http://www.edta.org/thespian_html.asp

I've personally never gotten involved with my school because there is a mountain of paperwork and the rehearsal time is formidible (think of all the one-on-one rehearsal time you'd need for just half a dozen monologues.

It can be a great experience for some, but for me its a bit too competition driven (the arts aren't about besting others - IMO) and it can be a headache for a Theatre Director.