Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

PASTE Magazine

I seriously think Paste Magazine is the the best magazine on newstands today, right up there with Relevant and Focus on the Family.....just kidding.

Anyway, it is exactly what it states, "a thinking man's Rolling Stone.

What do you guys think of the mag?

Well, I love it. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I occasionally write for it.

And there are several people here on the board who write for it too.

You know, don't you, that our own Andy Whitman is one of their superstars?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

I really enjoy it as well. I've been subscribed since the very first issue, and I've been turned on to quite a number of interesting artists through the magazine and those cool sampler CDs they put out.

::headphones::

I don't subscribe, and to be honest I rarely read the articles, but I do buy it at the bookstore for their compilation CD. I've bought CDs for Mary Gauthier, Denison Witmer (though was disappointed in that, sadly), and Tracy Grammer due to the compilation CD. I'm now considering Josh Ritter.

I am a recent Paste subscriber; I just received my third issue. Favorite magazine ever. I am hoping that they'll be the ones to figure out what ever happened to Michael Knott, who has apparently fallen off the planet Earth.

-s.

So... Paste has just bumped up its frequency. It's MONTHLY now.

Unbelievable.

And still, a CD and a DVD in every issue.

The new issue has Thom Yorke on the cover, and Andy Whitman inside.

There's a great letter in the letters section.

And, as payback for those who foolishly complained about all of the DEAD songwriters who didn't make the TOP 100 LIVING SONGWRITERS list, they included a TOP 10 DEAD SONGWRITERS list. (#1... Bob Dylan!!)

Check it out.

Congratulations to the Paste team. This is just the greatest thing ever.

Andy, are there changes going on in the management and leadership of Paste? I think I see some new names in the credits.

And what happened to Joe Kirk? Is he no longer involved? I'd like to get in touch with him.

Monthly.

A magazine that features such great music critics as Andy Whitman, Amanda Petrusich, and every now and then Thom Jurek... as well as the first-rate film reviews of Robert Davis. And a CD and DVD.

And it's monthly?

::w00tfuzz::

they included a TOP 10 DEAD SONGWRITERS list. (#1... Bob Dylan!!)

8O This was an intentional joke, right?

Yeah. He also topped their Living Songwriters list. It's a joke.

So... Paste has just bumped up its frequency. It's MONTHLY now.

Unbelievable.

And still, a CD and a DVD in every issue.

The new issue has Thom Yorke on the cover, and Andy Whitman inside.

There's a great letter in the letters section.

And, as payback for those who foolishly complained about all of the DEAD songwriters who didn't make the TOP 100 LIVING SONGWRITERS list, they included a TOP 10 DEAD SONGWRITERS list. (#1... Bob Dylan!!)

Check it out.

Congratulations to the Paste team. This is just the greatest thing ever.

Andy, are there changes going on in the management and leadership of Paste? I think I see some new names in the credits.

And what happened to Joe Kirk? Is he no longer involved? I'd like to get in touch with him.

Joe's no longer with Paste. Nor is Nick Purdy, one of the co-founders of the magazine. Sometimes I really hate corporate America, and when you sell your little homegrown magazine to some big investors, these kinds of things can happen. I can't comment too much, other than to say that on a personal level it's disheartening, and that what happened had nothing to do with anything personal re: Joe or Nick. I know what's up with Nick (and am heavily involved in it, although I'm not yet at liberty to publicly share what that is), but I don't know what Joe is doing. I should find out. He's a great guy.

I too am excited about Paste going monthly. I've known about it for a while, and have been stockpiling articles to give me a bit of a head start, but on a personal level it's going to mean twice as much work for me. But that's a good kind of problem to have, and I'm thankful for those opportunities, and for Paste.

I am hoping that they'll be the ones to figure out what ever happened to Michael Knott, who has apparently fallen off the planet Earth.

Uh, he's now a jewelry designer. And a residential construction contractor. And a voiceover artist (seems to have aged a bit). You might be able to contact him through his MySpace page if you can decide which page is really his...

Got the new issue yesterday and am loving it. I did notice, however, that the reviews section seemed substantially shorter this time around-- perhaps just the result of them going monthly?

Got the new issue yesterday and am loving it. I did notice, however, that the reviews section seemed substantially shorter this time around-- perhaps just the result of them going monthly?

Yep. I think the reviews section is about 2/3 its former size. I assume that's because of the decision to go monthly. Either the powers that be decided that there weren't that many worthy albums to review on a monthly (as opposed to a bi-monthly) basis, or they ran out of time/energy bandwidth to handle more reviews. Possibly both.

Okay, so Paste recently pulled a Radiohead and let people choose what they wanted to pay for a subscription. And the scheme might have worked (in part, at least): they added 30,000 new subscriptions.

Okay, so Paste recently pulled a Radiohead and let people choose what they wanted to pay for a subscription. And the scheme might have worked (in part, at least): they added 30,000 new subscriptions.

That's certainly good news, but really it's premature to state that the experiment has paid off. The real test will come a year from now, when all those new Paste subscribers will have to ante up for another year of the magazine, this time at the regular subscription rate. Paste will almost certainly lose money on the vast majority of those new subscriptions, where subscribers could pay as little as $1 for 11 magazines and 11 CDs.

I do think it's a bold and innovative way to market magazines, though. Like most of the music, films, and books it promotes, Paste is too non-mainstream to crash the cultural party in a spectacular way. You have to find new ways to reach the tipping point. The "pay what you like" model might just do that.

That's certainly good news, but really it's premature to state that the experiment has paid off.

That's why I added the "in part" part. The true test will, as you said, come in the long haul when those new subscribers will be asked to stick around. However, I'm sure that they'll all realize what a great deal it is, even at the regular rate. :)

Paste will almost certainly lose money on the vast majority of those new subscriptions, where subscribers could pay as little as $1 for 11 magazines and 11 CDs.

One, at least good thing is that print cost goes down in bulk!

Paste will almost certainly lose money on the vast majority of those new subscriptions, where subscribers could pay as little as $1 for 11 magazines and 11 CDs.

One, at least good thing is that print cost goes down in bulk!

That and the fact their advertising rates should increase based on the new subscriber levels.

Just got my first pay-what-you-want issue. It was a little slow in coming, definitely longer than the 6-8 weeks they predicted, but I suppose I can forgive their tardiness given their generosity and inundation of new subscribers.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm a new Paste convert. I love it already.

But what happened to these DVDs that people were mentioning months ago in this thread? Are they only doing CDs now? (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

PS - LOVE the Tyler Ramsey song on the February 08 sampler! song 13.

Just got my first pay-what-you-want issue. It was a little slow in coming, definitely longer than the 6-8 weeks they predicted, but I suppose I can forgive their tardiness given their generosity and inundation of new subscribers.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm a new Paste convert. I love it already.

But what happened to these DVDs that people were mentioning months ago in this thread? Are they only doing CDs now? (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

PS - LOVE the Tyler Ramsey song on the February 08 sampler! song 13.

I'm glad you like the magazine.

The DVDs were a short-lived experiment that only continued for a few issues. I think production costs made the disks prohibitive from a business standpoint. But the Paste website (pastemagazine.com) features new videos on almost a daily basis. I believe this feature is called "Video of the Day." And it's almost true.

The ratings are back with the September issue. This is a 5-star decision, in my opinion, except this time it won't be stars, it will be a numerical rating between 1 and 100.

The ratings are back with the September issue. This is a 5-star decision, in my opinion, except this time it won't be stars, it will be a numerical rating between 1 and 100.

Which I actually like better, as far as accuracy goes. (Since whole stars progress in 20-percent increments.)