Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

PASTE Magazine

Hey Andy... Paste's Twitter says that Birdmonster are in the Paste studio right now! I hope you're there to see it.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

R.I.P. Paste Magazine:

Yesterday its employees were apparently given two hours to clean out their offices, after which a few of them took to Twitter to share their pain and look for jobs. There but for the grace of our advertisers go we, etc.

Paste Magazine Is Dead:

A tipster tells us "They announced it internally yesterday in an afternoon meeting, giving employees approx... 2 hours notice." Rough. A few (former) Paste editors took to Twitter:

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

That was kind of unexpected.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

This day is ruined.

It's a sad day. I'd like to say it's bittersweet, but at this point the sweet seems to be in short supply. I do know that it's particularly hard for the folks who had a dream, worked incredibly hard to bring it to fruition, and now must watch it die. I have nothing but love and admiration for those folks, who have been nothing but kind and gracious to me, and supportive of my work. I feel bad for them in particular.

The magazine's story of how it survived the downturn last year by publishing e-editions and doing a pay-what-you-can subscription campaign was an inspiration to those of us who still help publish print magazines.

I don't anticipate anyone will fill the void Paste leaves.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

This is awful.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Nick Purdy tells me that the website will live on.

That's some comfort. But still... really, what I loved about Paste had a lot to do with the fact that it existed in print. I will still visit the website regularly.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Just re-discovered the A&F member who started this thread.

What happened to that guy? Seems we might have some questions for him these days...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

This is very sad to hear. I remember back before the magazine, when these guys just had an online store, pastestore.com, where they sold CDs by Vigilantes of Love and a few other bands. I've subscribed to Paste since the first issue, and have always enjoyed getting their magazine in the mail. I'm going to miss it.

Definitely the end of an era. I've been a fan of the Paste folk since the days of the Paste store. I bought a couple of albums from them (OTR- Films for Radio and VOL's Summershine) which along with the Emmylou Cockburn I was listening to at the time changed my life.

Definitely the end of an era. I've been a fan of the Paste folk since the days of the Paste store. I bought a couple of albums from them (OTR- Films for Radio and VOL's Summershine) which along with the Emmylou Cockburn I was listening to at the time changed my life.

I love Emmylou Cockburn!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Just re-discovered the A&F member who started this thread.

What happened to that guy? Seems we might have some questions for him these days...

Bahahahaha.

Heartbreaking about Paste, though. :(

Andy Whitman wrote:

: On the same day that this happens, The Sex Pistols have announced that they are launching their own perfume. What the hell is happening to the universe?

Don't forget the IMDb redesign. BLECCCH.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I love Emmylou Cockburn!

I knew I shouldn't post right after a nap!

Huh. One musician I've followed for years -- in fact, if memory serves, I subscribed to the first year of Paste partly because a rare track by one of his bands was on the first Paste sampler CD -- just wrote the following at Facebook:

Always a great read, but they were terrible paying their bills, including ours when they used to sell our albums during the bonanza days. I had to call and cajole and prove etc. etc. in order to finally get paid. They also consistently ignored my bands and those of my talented friends while routinely kissing up to the usual conspiracy of darlings littering the indie Americana underground. No tears here ~~

I haven't seen any other musicians comment on this yet.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Huh. One musician I've followed for years -- in fact, if memory serves, I subscribed to the first year of Paste partly because a rare track by one of his bands was on the first Paste sampler CD -- just wrote the following at Facebook:

Always a great read, but they were terrible paying their bills, including ours when they used to sell our albums during the bonanza days. I had to call and cajole and prove etc. etc. in order to finally get paid. They also consistently ignored my bands and those of my talented friends while routinely kissing up to the usual conspiracy of darlings littering the indie Americana underground. No tears here ~~

I haven't seen any other musicians comment on this yet.

Paste had trouble paying their bills. This is often a precursor to magazines going out of business. That's kind of how it works.

And we can do the math again. Roughly 8,000 albums are released every year, most of them by people with some musical talent. Paste, a bi-monthly magazine (at least toward the end), reviewed approximately 50 albums per issue. That means that they reviewed about 300 of those 8,000 albums every year. There's about a 97% chance that they pissed off more musicians than they pleased, and that's even assuming that the albums they reviewed were reviewed positively. Again, that's kind of how it works.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman wrote:

: Paste had trouble paying their bills. This is often a precursor of magazines going out of business. That's kind of how it works.

Paste was going out of business "during the bonanza days"?

Andy Whitman wrote:

: Paste had trouble paying their bills. This is often a precursor of magazines going out of business. That's kind of how it works.

Paste was going out of business "during the bonanza days"?

I'll put it this way. Accounting wasn't their strong suit. Some of us were willing to overlook that. I guess you either are or you aren't, and I understand if people aren't. But it saddens me to see the sour grapes.

Andy Whitman wrote:

: On the same day that this happens, The Sex Pistols have announced that they are launching their own perfume. What the hell is happening to the universe?

Add the Merriam-Webster redesign to the list ...

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Andy Whitman wrote:

Add the Merriam-Webster redesign to the list ...

Oh, and let's not forget that Twitter switched to OAuth yesterday, too, which means a lot of Twitter clients (such as the app on my cell phone) no longer work.

My obit, as it were:

Last week we said goodbye to one of the great music and arts magazines in recent history. Paste Magazine closed it’s doors.

Paste Magazine launched in 2002 and was no small influence on where I am today.

I discovered the magazine around it’s 3rd issue. It was everything I wanted to be - equally in touch with pop and indie culture, searching for meaning behind and below the surface. After reading that issue, I made a goal: one day I would be published in its pages.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

I just found the thread, don't know how I missed it. Very sad news indeed. There is no one out there doing it the way Paste did it.

That was kind of unexpected.

The thing is, I guess for someone like me it is a little expected. After the financial hardship of the past few years and having to pick and choose between what subscriptions I can allow myself, I've not been a Paste subscriber for at least two years. I've missed it the whole time, but it is just one of the things I've had to cut back on in the monthly budget. I can feel good that I've at least been able to keep my Netflix subscription and see a few movies each month, depending on the month. But I know there are people out there who have had it even harder than me.

It's another example of the change print publications are facing in a sour economy.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.