Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

PASTE Magazine

I just found the thread, don't know how I missed it. Very sad news indeed. There is no one out there doing it the way Paste did it.

That was kind of unexpected.

The thing is, I guess for someone like me it is a little expected. After the financial hardship of the past few years and having to pick and choose between what subscriptions I can allow myself, I've not been a Paste subscriber for at least two years. I've missed it the whole time, but it is just one of the things I've had to cut back on in the monthly budget. I can feel good that I've at least been able to keep my Netflix subscription and see a few movies each month, depending on the month. But I know there are people out there who have had it even harder than me.

It's another example of the change print publications are facing in a sour economy.

Paste's subscriber base held pretty steady over the last year, and actually went up substantially a year and a half ago when the "pay whatever you want" experiment took off. The biggest issue was lack of advertising revenue. When AT&T and GM bail on you, as they have done with many other print publications as well, and when you're relying on advertising from Gus's Guitar Shop (not a real advertiser, but you get the idea), you're probably in for some rough financial times.

Paste's subscriber base held pretty steady over the last year, and actually went up substantially a year and a half ago when the "pay whatever you want" experiment took off. The biggest issue was lack of advertising revenue. When AT&T and GM bail on you, as they have done with many other print publications as well, and when you're relying on advertising from Gus's Guitar Shop (not a real advertiser, but you get the idea), you're probably in for some rough financial times.

Gotcha, although I still feel a little guilty I couldn't help in my small way. I always thought I'd pick up the subscription again down the road. I guess I won't have that chance.

Don't forget the IMDb redesign. BLECCCH.

This is driving me nuts. I really hate their redesign. It is truly awful.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Going through some old magazines and press kits, and tossing a lot of them into the recycling bin. (Among other things, I discovered that I wrote an article on Left Behind for The Plain Truth back in 2003. I'd forgotten about that -- and I'm keeping those copies!)

Along the way I discovered the first four issues of Paste -- issues #1 to #4, from 2002 and 2003.

I got that magazine back when I was trying to keep up with certain artists that all my friends seemed to be listening to -- and back when I thought of pitching some articles to them -- but I ended up never writing for them, and I don't really follow any bands at all now (except for one or two old standbys). So I don't really have much use for those magazines now. But since they're the *first four issues*, it would seem a shame to just toss 'em into the recycling bin. (Side note: the first issue is stapled together, and I believe the rest are glue-bound. The format was in flux!)

So... does anyone want these four issues?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.