Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

College Hoops

John   

12-4 yesterday, 11-5 today, with all my sweet 16 teams still in it. UNC was my biggest scare. I see Mr. Buckeye is running his way up the standings in our little group. Congrats to him. And who is the mysterious "Phog" man, currently out in front?

I lost MSU yesterday. Ugh. Had 'em going to the EE. So far all my Final 4 teams are alive and kicking--though I was torn between rooting for the historic upset and getting Uconn into the final four for my bracket. What a good game!

Go IU! Beat the Zags!

And I think Phog's toast, what with the Kansas loss and an improbable Georgetown over Ohio State tomorrow... ;)

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Darren H   

Wow. There's always next year. I went from first place to last in both of my pools. 7-9. And Iowa and Kansas were two of my surprise teams. I'd picked both to win several games.

20-32. Lost five (ugh) Sweet 16 teams and two from my Elite Eight (the two most people would expect).

Dale

Ouch. There goes a final four team. Thanks, Zags. 8O

And will someone please tell Morrison to shave that silly peach fuzz?

Edited by Buckeye Jones

John   

Totally agreed on the peach fuzz, Buckeye. I can't help but comment on it every time I see him. I mean, if the guy can't grow a moustache, he should do himself the courtesy to admit it and move on.

Today was a good day for me, 8 for 8. Tomorrow, I am torn. I've got Villanova as a Final Four team, but they play my Arizona Wildcats. I have to admit not minding if my bracket gets trashed so my team can move on to the next round (and yes, I realize this is made much easier since virtually everyone picked Villanova to win the game). :)

My bracket is now decimated. My only saving grace is that I was out and had no opportunity to watch my Bucks get hammered. :blink:

Darren H   

Sigh . . .

I only have nine teams in the Sweet 16, only four of my Elite 8 picks are still alive, and three of my Final Four still have a chance. The only good news for me is that my two finalists, UCLA and Villanova, are playing pretty well.

John   

Bad day for me, with UNC getting beaten down. And I am sad Arizona couldn't pull off the upset, even though it would have killed what remains of my bracket. I was impressed to see them play so closely to an obviously great team like Villanova. Quite a few talented players there.

Just got back into the office--where I find out that in my office pool bracket, I have only one team left for the final four (Duke), 5 for the EE, and am 9 of 16 for SS.

Something tells me I am not gonna win this one. :unsure:

Edited by Buckeye Jones

2 ff teams left in the yahoo group many of us share, 3 ff teams in my other brackets. For me, this is a very good year.

Bad day for me, with UNC getting beaten down. And I am sad Arizona couldn't pull off the upset, even though it would have killed what remains of my bracket. I was impressed to see them play so closely to an obviously great team like Villanova. Quite a few talented players there.
It ain't the same when UNC goes out this early. I'm not doing any brackets. After the ACC tourney, I didn't think they'd go far.

Clint M   

Sweet Sixteen Games: (All start times are EST)

Thursday, March 23

No. 4 LSU vs. No. 1 Duke 7:10 p.m.

No. 13 Bradley vs. No. 1 Memphis 7:27 p.m.

No. 6 West Virginia vs. No.2 Texas 9:40 p.m.

No. 3 Gonzaga vs. No. 2 UCLA 9:57 p.m.

Friday, March 24

No. 4 Boston College vs. No. 1 Villanova 7:10 p.m.

No. 11 George Mason vs. No. 7 Wichita State 7:27 p.m.

No. 7 Georgetown vs. No.3 Florida 9:40 p.m.

No. 5 Washington vs. No. 1 Connecticut 9:57 p.m.

Edited by Clint M

Is it a bad thing on the Yahoo group when your total points equals your possible points?

Looks like I'm done at 66 out of 192 possible points. And the SS still has games to play!

Darren H   

When I was filling out my bracket, I stared at that LSU/Duke matchup for ten minutes. My reasoning, finally, was, "Well, Duke hasn't been great this year, but they've won a lot of 2- and 3-point games. I'll pick Coach K's voodoo over LSU's talent." Damn.

Two of my final fours are left. Help me UCLA and Villanova. You're my only hope.

Four of my final fours are left. Ha ha.

Dale, tempting fate

The two games I watched last night: Gonzaga/UCLA, and West Viriginia/Texas provided some of the most thrilling hours of basketball I've ever seen. Both games were nail-biters down to the final seconds, and both ended with unforgettable feats of courage and determination. Even though my heart broke for Morrison and Gonzaga, that was a galvanizing finish.

Three of my Final Four in the Elite Eight. Boo to my Cinderella Shockers.

I will win the pool, apparently, if Villanova faces anyone but UCLA in the finals (outcome meaningless), or if LSU faces anyone but UConn in the finals (outcome meaningless), or if LSU wins the championship over UConn in a Final Four that also contains Villanova and UCLA. All other scenarios, I lose.

Look, I had some time making sure Benji didn't wake up after putting him to bed, okay?

Dale

Clint M   

Sheese. What a tournament. UConn has squeaked by in 3 games, but if they make it to the final and win the championship, it will be from one of the sloppiest teams I've ever watched. I now have one Final Four team left.

Elite Eight (All times EST)

Saturday

No. 4 LSU vs. No. 2 Texas - 4:40 PM

No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 1 Memphis - 7:05 PM

Sunday

No. 11 George Mason vs. No. 1 Connecticut - TBD

No. 3 Florida vs. No. 1 Villanova - TBD

Edited by Clint M

Darren H   

At this point, I can't win the pool even if UCLA wins its next game, so I'm now hoping for an all-SEC final. I'd love to see LSU beat Florida for the title. Watching Florida this weekend, it's hard to imagine how my UT Volunteers could have beaten them twice during the regular season. They look amazing.

Titus   

The Campbell University Fighting Campbells scored 62 tonight--in the second half, to break the century mark and top UNC-Wilmington to go to 3-0.

That's more than Kansas can say.

But Kansas can say they beat the defending National Champions on a neutral court, which is more than Campbell can.

Did anybody else watch the Kansas/Florida game? One of the best non-March games I've seen in a long, long time. Good stuff.

Edited by Titus

Darren H   

Last night I watched (in person) my Tennessee Vols embarrass the Memphis Tigers, 76-58. Apparently, Vols' coach Bruce Pearl calls his style of play "controlled chaos," which seems about right to me. They're scrappy, fast, and really, really sloppy, and that sloppiness tends to rub off on opponents. The Tigers shot something like 22% for the game. Their whole team just barely beat Tennessee's shooting forward Chris Lofton, who scored a career-high 34 points last night.