Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

Gilmore Girls

Yeah, and why is it that they don't seem to stick in either of their minds? Maybe this is just an assumption drawn from my own experiences or ideals, but it seems like they would apply those little breakthroughs to the future of their relationship, no?

Pride. Fear. The usual.

(Not that I have those issues. At all.)

But seriously, what makes their interactions as characters continue to be so interesting (even when other elements of the show seem all over the map) is that they both have these huge defenses up in order to avoid getting hurt. Lorelei deflects and refuses to take anything seriously; Emily becomes cold and defensive. I actually think it's a very realistic adult-child/parent relationship. Also realistic that Richard's illness has catalyzed more breakthroughs of late.

They've always been the most interesting part of the show to me, starting way back in the first season when Lorelei and Emily are in Lorelei's kitchen after Rory has been out all night with Dean (if you remember back that far!) and they both freak out and fight, obviously over their own issues that have nothing to do with Rory.

I'm still moved when Lorelei and Emily have those teeny, tiny breakthroughs with each other.

But...yeah, it's over.

Amy Sherman-Palladino has a new show coming with Fox - Parker Posey and Lauren Ambrose as sisters, I think. Posey is a children's book editor. Hilarity and fast talking, I'm sure, ensue.

Lorelei and Emily's relationship has been one of the best things about this season. I love how they, in their own way, work for their relationship. Without saying it, they both know that there is something worth fighting and working for. I think it has taken new steps this season.

A new Amy Sherman-Palladino show? With Parker Posey? Yikes! Where do I sign up? This is great.

I wish I could discern WHY this show has so captivated me

Last night's episode was perhaps the best all season. The reaction of Paris upon finding out whether or not she got accepted into grad school was priceless. The Mrs. and I were in stitches. Further, the shots of Lorelai riding her bike were extremely funny. Finally, the conversation between Rory and Paris about whether or not they would sacrifice career opportunities for their boyfriends was fantastic. Typcially Paris and her neuroses are used for comedic fodder, so it was a delight to see her offering true words of wisdom to Rory. It was interesting to see Rory try to cover up the fact that she WOULD sacrifice her relationship with Logan if the alternative was to sacrifice a potential career with the NY Times. While Rory has made some tough decisions in the past, it will be interesting to see how she handles what is shaping up to be the most difficult decisions of her life.

Honestly, I think last night's episode redeemed what up until now has been a disappointing season.

Next week is the series finale of Gilmore Girls. In last night's episode

Logan proposed and Rory said "no". I found her rationale interesting. For a self-described planner, she was begining to embrace the unknown. To marry Logan would be to have everything set in stone - something she didn't want. I'm not totally convinced she still won't move out west with Logan. I do still think her leaving Stars Hallow is the best way to end the show.

Perhaps the most enjoyable moments to watch were Paris and Rory's goodbyes. We just bought Season 1 and have been re-watching it (for the third time). It's been fun to compare the relationship of Rory and Paris then and now. Rory was Paris's first real friend - something Paris couldn't handle. It's been great to see how Paris has learned to be a friend over the years, something Paris is now quite aware of. She is still Paris, but thankful for Rory's friendship. It's nice to see in television.

Edited by Kyle

It's done. I think the series finale was one of the best series finale I have ever seen. It gave enough closure to storylines to make the show feel complete, but it left it open enough to remind viewers that life in Stars Halllow will continue. I'm pleased that the episode focused on the center of the show Rory and Lorelei. I hope I'm not spoiling anything but for the show to fade out with Rory and Lorelei eating breakfast at Luke's, continuing their witty conversations was a perfect and fitting end to the show. I was moved by Lane and Rory reflecting on their friendship. I was touched by the place of respect and understanding the grandparents and Lorelei came to. I don't think this was forced. After recently re-watching Season One, this was a big, slow-moving, and realistic plot development that took seven years to complete.

I'm not going to lie. The wife and I got a bit misty-eyed when it ended. I never would have expected it, but this little show has become one of my all-time favorite.

It's done. I think the series finale was one of the best series finale I have ever seen. It gave enough closure to storylines to make the show feel complete, but it left it open enough to remind viewers that life in Stars Halllow will continue.

Could you sum up what happened with appropriate spoiler black-out? My wife and I were big fans until this season and we couldn't fight through it.

Lets see what I can do in terms of summary:

Most of the season focused on Rory. Her two major storylines were her relationship with Logan and what she would do after graduation. Part of the problem was whether her relationship with Logan was more important than the perfect job. In the end she chose her career. Logan was offered a job in San Fran, he proposed, Rory said no. Strangely, at that point she had no job. Her dream job, a fellowship with the NY Times, didn't work out and no newspaper was hiring (evidently, a reseme including editor of the Yale Daily News isn't enough in today's newpaper industry). In the end she gets offered a job writing for an online newspaper where she follows the Barrack Obama campaign trail. In the finale, the whole town comes together to send her off. Lorelei's storyline centered around marrying Christopher, divorcing Christopher, and reconciling with Luke. In the end, chosing to introduce the marriage to Christopher storyline was a big mistake. For a show that allowed the storylines draw out over time, the writers were backed into a corner on this one. They had to do too much in too little time. Naturally it felt forced and awkward - it was an unnecessary intrusion. As for the minor characters, Lane was learning she had it in her to be a mother. Luke learned he could be a father. Suki and Jackson were pregnant again and the show explored that tension in their marriage.

All in all it was a let down of a season. It became very clear that the show had run its course. It was time to end. However, as I mentioned I think the series finale was really well done all the way down the final shot that mirrored the final shot in the pilot. Who knows what time will say, but I think television is losing one of it's finer shows. It's too bad it wasn't greater recognized in its own time. I can only hope that Lauren Graham goes onto more great shows as she showed herself to be a fine talent.

It became very clear that the show had run its course. It was time to end.

I never regularly watched Gilmore Girls, and wish I had. But this is the main reason network TV series don't win me over much. Either a show is great and low-rated and gets canceled prematurely, or it's great and ends up on artificial life support for years after tanking creatively (see X-Files, Cheers, and add your own favorites here). All the more power to the Lost folks, who realized an end game is the only way to go (even if that move was prompted by the hard, cold realization that viewers were losing faith and tuning out this season).

Edited by Mark

Thx!

So ...

Lor and Christopher married/divorced - that happened this season? Bleh. I bet that did feel forced and distracting.

In past seasons I always liked how they handled the Luke and Lor relationship - it was the un-Ross and Rachel. Any tension there was natural and it all made sense given the characters and all. Somehow they lost that (I guess when creator girl and hubby left the show) and it started feeling like any other show.

Thx!

So ...

Lor and Christopher married/divorced - that happened this season? Bleh. I bet that did feel forced and distracting.

In past seasons I always liked how they handled the Luke and Lor relationship - it was the un-Ross and Rachel. Any tension there was natural and it all made sense given the characters and all. Somehow they lost that (I guess when creator girl and hubby left the show) and it started feeling like any other show.

Yes, not to mention

I hate it when they use divorce as a means to separate characters so you can get two "more compatable" characters together. My wife watches Grey's Anatomy and I usually end up seeing the tale end and they're doing it on that show as well.

Hey Mark - There is always DVD! I heartily recommend renting the first few seasons on DVD. It's a whimsical, magical ride in the best possible sense.

Edited by Kyle

FWIW the two toddlers in our house love the theme song. Any time it comes on, they stop what they're doing and dance in front of the television. One of them kept requesting it: "more, more," he would say after the song ended. I ended up playing it five times in a row for him.

Interesting: When B. Dale was about a year old, he was obsessed with the end credits theme, and I'd have to play it over and over.

M. Dale

Interesting: When B. Dale was about a year old, he was obsessed with the end credits theme, and I'd have to play it over and over.

M. Dale

Do not be deceived, they love the end credits as well. It too results in spontaneous and estatic dancing. However, it is only the opening credits that gets the "more, more" request. It's pretty cute, the second Sam Phillips starts her "la la la" on the main menu they stop what they're doing in anticipation of the opening credits.