Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Angel

When Angel was on the air, I never took to it the way I should have, probably because we were really into Buffy, and Angel suffered from spinoff-itis. Transplanting Cordelia - the weakest character from Buffy - to Angel seemed like a real desperate stretch, too. And then they went and killed my favorite character,

Doyle

, just a few episodes into Season 1.

And yet, now I am ready to take it all in again, start from the beginning and see what I missed because Angel was lurking in the shadow of Buffy's brilliance. Who knew Cordelia would become such a valuable player? Who knew Whedon could mine such heart-rending emotion and spiritual yearning from the Wesley/Fred storyline? Maybe it's better not to be a fanboy when a show is on the air every week, since you (meaning me) take it for granted.

Just curious - have you gotten into Buffy at all, or are you still put off by S.M. Gellar?

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Wow. actor Andy Hallet (Lorne on Angel) died of heart failure at 33. :(

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

After working though Angel for the past two years, I'm finally on home stretch — my wife and I started season 5 this weekend, and boy is it good. (Spoilers throughout, even though the season is over five years old).

I think I've enjoyed Angel more than Joss Whedon's other shows, all of which I loved to begin with. I think it has something to do with the chemistry between the characters, for one, as well as the fact that it juxtaposes some pretty dark, serious material with enough light-heartedness to keep it bearable. I like the dynamic of having a goof like Angel as the team leader, a roll that seems to be reserved in much fiction for the straight-man.

Anyway, I'm liking the change of scenery in season 5. Angel Investigations asked to head the LA branch of the evil multi-dimensional law firm they've been fighting against for years? OK! A return to a more monster-of-the-week format while not sacrificing season-long arcs? OK!

While I certainly didn't hate season 4 like some folks did, I did think the last quarter dragged a bit. Things seem to be back on track, and much more focused — maybe because without Firefly and Buffy in the picture, Whedon, Fury, et al were able to focus all on the same show?

I just watched the Nacho Libre episode. Someone please tell me season 5 gets better after that.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I just watched the Nacho Libre episode. Someone please tell me season 5 gets better after that.

Heh, I actually remember that episode fondly. But it does get better after that, and ends on a particularly strong note. A fairly dark (and very appropriate) note. In fact, the ending scene might be one of my favorite for television. At the very least, season five overall was a lot more enjoyable than the mess that was season four.

Season 5 gets much, much better. Two words: "Smile Time".

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Season 5 gets much, much better. Two words: "Smile Time".

Like this?

Twitter Blog

Better.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Better.

Definitely. And there was a great paper about it at the Slayage conference about how key "Smile Time" is in the entire season, which turns out to be all about making existential choices (that's Joss Whedon for you)--asserting free will. I can't say more without spoiling.

Season 5 also gets better with "A Hole in the World"/"Shells." Oh my.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Yeah, I finished the series with a marathon last Sunday, and "existential" was the word that kept coming to mind. It's really good, too.

Has anyone on here read the After the Fall comics?

Twitter Blog

Has anyone on here read the After the Fall comics?

I tried, but they just got too crazy. Nothing made sense. There were giant bugs. I didn't like the artwork. The ending of the series was fine as it was.

However, people say that the "Angel and Faith" series is pretty good. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)