Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

SNL comes back this week...

Ho hum.

I pretty much stopped watching SNL last season, but I might tune in to the season opener this week to see if there is any chance of them redeeming themselves.

NBC's Saturday Night Live opens its 29th season Oct. 4 with two new cast members, a new opening sequence, and a new set modeled after New York's recently refurbished Grand Central Station.

Actor Kenan Thompson (Felicity) and stand-up Finesse Mitchell will be featured players. Jack Black (School of Rock) hosts the season premiere, with musical guest John Mayer.

Ho hum.

I pretty much stopped watching SNL last season, but I might tune in to the season opener this week to see if there is any chance of them redeeming themselves.

NBC's Saturday Night Live opens its 29th season Oct. 4 with two new cast members, a new opening sequence, and a new set modeled after New York's recently refurbished Grand Central Station.

Actor Kenan Thompson (Felicity) and stand-up Finesse Mitchell will be featured players. Jack Black (School of Rock) hosts the season premiere, with musical guest John Mayer.

I pretty much gave up a few years ago, but when I read your quote, I couldn't help thinking, "I have no idea who she [?] is, but if she bringe SNL some 'finesse,' that could only be good." But I'm not holding my breath.

They need to tighten up the writing and sketch selection. Jack Black is a draw, but if he starts reading his cue cards I'm out.

Anyone watch last night?

I, for one, was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a great show, but it was a good show. Maybe there's hope for this cast yet...

Best moment: WEEKEND UPDATE!!!!! I don't know what happened, but, for the first time in my life, I thought Fallon and Fey were hilarious from beginning to end. Not one of their jokes was a dud. The recap of Things President Bush Can't Find was hysterical; Finesse Mitchell's bit wasn't, but Kenan Thompson did a good impersonation of Bill Cosby.

The best impression of the night, though, was John Mayer doing Dave Matthews. :twisted:

Second best moment: Jack Black's monologue. Funny stuff.

Worst moment: Will Ferrell was on the set... AND HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!! What a tremendous waste of talent. I feel confident in saying that, if he had been given two minutes to do something, it would have been the funniest segment of the show.

Anyway, not a bad season opener.

I agree. Slept through some of it, particularly Weekend Update (which I like). Rough, late day at work and all. Black was perfect in what I saw. I loved "Queer Eye for the Straight Gal". Not that horrible dance off thingie. Dittoes on Mayer. I don't know him well, but the similarity seemed almost intentional....

Not that horrible dance off thingie.

Mmmhmmm, that was terrible. Worst sketch of the night, by far.

Not that horrible dance off thingie.

Mmmhmmm, that was terrible. Worst sketch of the night, by far.

So horrible, that I gave up & went to bed, thus missing what seem to have been the better parts of the show. Oh well!

Man, I gotta admit...

Justin Timberlake was surprisingly funny last night.

Casting him to play Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Simpson was brilliant, and he did an unexpectedly good job with all his roles. I was impressed.

I went to bed halfway through the show, though, so I didn't get to see what Fallon and Fey had on their minds this weekend. Oh, well.

Loved Elijah Wood's monologue last night. It was also great to see Chris Kattan again; I never really thought he was THAT funny, but, compared to most of the folks who are on the show now, he's freaking hilarious. :wink:

Smigel's cartoon was very clever as well.

Yeah, I wasn't going to watch, but am I ever glad I caught Elijah Wood's monologue. That was hysterical. How could they possibly not have had Kattan's Gollum/Smeagol on the show when Wood was on there? It was the perfect opportunity, and they played it to the hilt.

Diane

Uh huh, bringing Kattan back was one of the most brilliant things they've done since they got Michael Stipe to play the Christmas fairy...

I just saw the Smigel Bush campaign ad on "Special Report with Brit Hume" tonight. Real cool.

My only quibble is that this very material has been overplayed on Comedy Central for years and almost exclusively until Lorne Micheals released newer stuff from the '80's for re-run. OTOH, those will be classic bits. I only hope they include the great "You've Come A Long Way, Buddy" sketch in which Elliot Gould hosted a spoof of mid-seventies feminist rah-rah shows (Beethoven's Fifth, written by a man!).

We weren't back from our New York weekend trip in time to see all of SNL's 40th anniversary special last night, but we caught from 9:40 on -- and the show went until about 11:30. I don't know if that was planned or if the show just ran long.

We picked it up when Martin Short was on stage with Maya Rudolph (as Beyonce). The bit was very funny, and from there, the show had lots of great stuff. Eddie Murphy's on-stage moment was a letdown, but it was great seeing him get the ovation he deserves. 

And here's the thing: the music!

I'll probably regret writing this when I look over my Twitter and Facebook feeds, usually full of snark (for better or worse -- and I'm not saying I don't contribute), but ... has Miley Cyrus ever sounded better than she did last night? Go ahead and make your "low bar" jokes; I loved her performance.

Kanye West not so much -- autotune is crappy, no matter what case others might want to make for it. But then there was Paul Simon. I almost cried. A great song, sung with a conviction I don't remember really ever seeing in Simon. Not that he's not an artist of integrity/conviction; of course he is. But I've seen him on SNL a few times over the years, usually with a guitar around his neck, African singers accompanying him, etc. That's all well and good, I suppose. But watching him, as a not-young-man, with nothing between us and the singer but a microphone, it was like he was baring his soul.

Do I exaggerate? Probably. Maybe everyone thinks his performance sucked, or something. (I've noticed reference this morning to Paul McCartney, who I saw in the audience but didn't see perform, "missing" high notes in his performance.) Me, I just felt like I was watching an artist at the top of his game, in complete command of the band, the audience and himself. It was great.

Edited by Christian

No other comments yet today, but I know I wasn't the only one watching:

On NBC, the SNL 40th Anniversary Red Carpet Special earned a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating. The SNL 40thAnniversary Special scored a 7.8 adults 18-49 rating from 8-11PM, and was NBC’s top-rated primetime entertainment telecast, excluding post-Super Bowl programs since the Will & Grace finale on May 18, 2006, which earned a 8.4 adults 18-49 rating. It was also the network’s top-rated entertainment special in ten years, since theFriends clip show that aired before its series finale which notched a 16.7 adults 18-49 rating on May 6, 2004. The final ratings will include the 11-11:30PM half hour. Since television viewership usually decreases after primetime, that may mean that the numbers will be adjusted downward in the finals.

Christian wrote:

But then there was Paul Simon. I almost cried. A great song, sung with a conviction I don't remember really ever seeing in Simon. Not that he's not an artist of integrity/conviction; of course he is. But I've seen him on SNL a few times over the years, usually with a guitar around his neck, African singers accompanying him, etc. That's all well and good, I suppose. But watching him, as a not-young-man, with nothing between us and the singer but a microphone, it was like he was baring his soul.

Do I exaggerate? Probably. Maybe everyone thinks his performance sucked, or something. (I've noticed reference this morning to Paul McCartney, who I saw in the audience but didn't see perform, "missing" high notes in his performance.) Me, I just felt like I was watching an artist at the top of his game, in complete command of the band, the audience and himself. It was great.

Paul Simon was great, and the song was perfect for the occasion, but I couldn't bear to listen to Paul McCartney. It was like a Greek tragedy--how are the mighty fallen? His voice is a ruin, now, and it makes me sad to hear it. The Blues Brothers still had it, though. I still miss Gilda Radner.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sit through all of it with commercials, so recorded it and watched in pieces. Confessional time: College friends of mine were exclaiming on Fb that it was not possible for SNL to be 40 years old, because we distinctly remember gathering in the dorm room of whoever had a TV (most of us didn't, in those less-privileged days) to watch that first season. Yes, we are that old. Not as old as Chevy Chase or Paul McCartney, but pretty dang old.