Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Aloha!

Hey everyone:

Just to let y'all know, after tomorrow I'm gonna be absent from these parts for about 2 weeks. My son and I are leaving Saturday for a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii!

As a way to see more of the world and to furnish some one-on-one quality time with our kids, my wife and I are planning to alternate taking one kid a year (budget-permitting) to a destination of their choice. As they get older, we expect this will revolve more around developing nations and missions trips, but for now, it's purely for fun and education. My son Jonathan, who's in 3rd grade, loves astronomy and geology, so together we decided the Big Island would be a great place to experience these things: one of its volcanoes has been erupting continuously since the 1980's, and the island also has the world's largest telescope. Oh yeah, and we hope to do some swimming and view some cool marine wildlife.

Hopefully, we'll stay healthy - out of our family of 5, the two of us are the only ones who haven't been laid up by a flu/cold bug in the past several days. ::haironend::

Anyway, I didn't write all of this to brag (really!), but just in case I seem unusually quiet for the next couple of weeks, this is why.

Later, dudes!

Wow. Hope you and Jonathan have a great trip, Andrew!

Welcome back, Andrew! How was your trip? I heard that parts of Hawaii were hit with flooding recently. Hope you were spared that.

Edited by Diane

Thanks for asking, Diane - the trip was splendid! It was great to spend so much time with one of my kids, and enlarge my affection and appreciation of him in such a memorable way, as he was a fun, inquisitive, and thoughtful co-traveller.

The weather wasn't exactly cooperative, with some rain on 5 of our 11 days on the island - one of our b&b hosts said something about this being the most rain their region has had in 99 years. Nonetheless, we had ample opportunity to get pounded by waves, kayak in a lovely inlet, snorkel and see colorful fish and sea urchins, and hop on a boat to watch humpback whales and spinner dolphins. I was simply amazed by the natural diversity, as I'd expected to see lovely beaches, waterfalls, and a steaming volcano, but was unprepared for a snowy mountaintop, desert land, and lush grasslands (like something out of a Miyazaki film, truly).

I came home refreshed, while my son has resolved that he'll be going to college in Hawaii, to become an astronomer who studies the skies from a Mauna Kea observatory.

Thanks for sharing, Andrew. That all sounds quite remarkable. Glad y'all had a wonderful time

Wow - that sounds perfect - what a great way to spend time with your son! Glad it went well.