Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle

Favorite Board Games

164 posts in this topic

Russ - if you're unable to find it locally, both Amazon and Days of Wonder (link here) sell it online for $39.99, the price for which I bought it locally. I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be, though...

Edited by Andrew

I play mainly chess these days, but I used to be completely bonkers for German board games (why are all the best board game designers German?). I find Settlers of Catan and Carcassone to be too luck driven for my taste, but I really like Aladdin's Dragons, Java, El Grande, Princes of Florence, Stephenson's Rocket, Taj Mahal, Adel Verpflichtet and Puerto Rico.

I am also very happy to see that the Games Workshop's classic Fury of Dracula has just been re-released by Fantasy Flight. I hope they have done the game justice.

Edited by The Invisible Man

I put off playing Catan for years; lots of friends were almost cult-ish about it in college. That drove me nuts. They would whisper to each other and use weird words and I would hear "settlers" pop up randomly in conversations. They may have even had some sort of coded hand signals.

Regardless, I gave the game a whirl a few months ago. What fun! I can't wait to play it again.

I'm also a big fan of Clue.

I've actually also started to play Dungeons and Dragons. A couple of my youth group kids are really in to it and they invited me to play with them on Tuesday's and Thursday's after school at their high school. Holy cow, the game is complex, but its surprisingly fun. Incredibly geeky, but pretty fun. It's also been a great way to get to know more kids throughout the school.

I missed one: Modern Art. The game looks ugly as hell, but the system is fabulous, being very easy to learn and incredibly addictive. It's Reiner Knizia's masterpiece.

I've actually also started to play Dungeons and Dragons. A couple of my youth group kids are really in to it and they invited me to play with them on Tuesday's and Thursday's after school at their high school. Holy cow, the game is complex, but its surprisingly fun. Incredibly geeky, but pretty fun. It's also been a great way to get to know more kids throughout the school.

Should we consider RPGs as board games? I'm definitely a huge (closet) role-playing game nerd, so I can rant on for hours about this sort of thing.

I guess they're technically not board games. Start a new thread on RPG and all the closet nerds :) will come out to play.

I love, LOVE, LOVE Settlers of Catan.

Does anyone here play Settlers of Catan online? I don't, but from the sounds of it, there are enough people for an A&F death match to determine the true Lord of Catan. ::1st::

I did not even know there was such a thing!

I have never played Settlers of Catan online, but if anyone starts a game, and it's free, then I'll participate.

I have never played Settlers of Catan online, but if anyone starts a game, and it's free, then I'll participate.

I'm up for that too.

I don't know if this game is any good, but by chance, I found this game from a link on Wikipedia. It is called Universalis. It is an RPG, which I don't play, but it touts itself to be something I think I'd enjoy, if I had the time.

UNIVERSALIS IS:

The game where every player is the Game Master

The game where players can create

and populate the world as they desire as they play

The game where everything that happens,

happens because a player wanted it to happen

The game where suspense comes

from the actions of other players, not from a random roll.

The game whose plot evolves as you play

with no random tables, rail-roading, or scenario books

The game which requires absolutely

no set up or preparation time

The game where it doesn

Online Catan is apparently for Windows users only...

Yep

Never heard of it, never played it, but if it's as fun as a lot of ppl are saying, then I'd like to try it.

Online Catan, that is.

"The WHOLE VALLEY is green, collect $500 dollars."

You will find such wonderful lines as these in The Farming Game. It is a Monopoly gameabout a year as a part-time farmer. You work a part-time job, and you are trying to make your farm sufficient enough to quit and become a full-time farmer. It's a great time to make you feel like a wonderful country-bumpkin'.

Interesting fact: this game was actually used to retrain Russian farmers how to run individual farms after the fall of communism because it sort-of mimics the ups and downs of a farming year and how to invest, take out loans, ride a down-year, etc.

For fans of the original 'Ticket to Ride,' the newest version ('Ticket to Ride: Marklin Edition') is sufficiently different to make it a worthwhile purchase, IMHO. While the card-collecting and route-building are key elements again, the layout of the map of West Germany demands different strategies for completion. The route cards are divided overtly into short and long categories, and you decide how many of each card you wish to select; plus, rather than striving to complete the longest route for the endgame bonus, you're awarded for completing the most route cards. Lastly, you are given 3 passengers that you can move around the board, collecting points as they travel between more and more cities.

The aesthetics of the board and card design are a notch upward from the original game, to boot. My wife, son, and I have been playing this for a few weeks now and having a blast...

Sounds interesting. It also sounds like a improvement over the original. My main beef with the old version is that there never seems to be much incentive to go for the short routes. I also like the idea of awarding the bonus based off the total number of routes instead of longest route.

EuroRails is my favorite right now. I'd like to get the Russia and India boards for this series too, but haven't yet.

Just bought Settlers of Catan, and like it, but it didn't take the place of EuroRails for me like I'd expected. The robber is a little too prolific . . .

I like Mexican Train, which someone mentioned above.

I'm looking into a game called Puerto Rico too, but haven't bought it yet. Anyone played this one?

Carcasonne is good. And so is The Farming Game, although this one is quite difficult to find. And in contrast to what Ruthie mentions above, you can also hear things like "Disease was found in your herd of cattle. The government comes and kills them all of!"

Edited by Chashab

I'm looking into a game called Puerto Rico too, but haven't bought it yet. Anyone played this one?

Yes, I have it. It's great fun, though move order can be a factor (meaning that if you are seated next to a player who doesn't quite grasp the strategies you can struggle to get into the game). Far better - in fact, far better than just about anything - is Princes of Florence (I assume this is still in print?). Scroll up if you want my list of recommendations.

EuroRails is my favorite right now. I'd like to get the Russia and India boards for this series too, but haven't yet.

Just bought Settlers of Catan, and like it, but it didn't take the place of EuroRails for me like I'd expected. The robber is a little too prolific . . .

EuroRails sounds incredinly intriguing. I might have to look into getting this one.

For Catan, you might consider adjusting the robber rules. First, there are no 7's in the opening round. Occasionally, if agreed by all, we declare a "no 7's round". We also changed the rules that you must give up half your cards if you have 10 or more cards and a seven is rolled. These changes have all helped.

Yes, I have it. It's great fun, though move order can be a factor (meaning that if you are seated next to a player who doesn't quite grasp the strategies you can struggle to get into the game). Far better - in fact, far better than just about anything - is Princes of Florence (I assume this is still in print?). Scroll up if you want my list of recommendations.

Can you play Puerto Rico with just two people? Amazon recommended five people, but is play possible with just two? It looked like a great game and my wife and I are always on the lookout for good two player games, like EuroRails.

Kyle,

Eurorails works well with two people compared to many other board games; but the more the merrier! Tis a good game . . .

Haven't gotten Puero Rico yet.

And as we've played Catan (I now have the SeaFarers exp and a friend bought the 5-6 exp) we've come along and learned how to deal with some of these things.

The two to multi-player option on Eurorails is one of the reason it looked so intriguing. I love Catan, but I'm bummed I can't play it with just my wife.

One of the reasons, I like Catan and other such games so much is the flexibility in the rules. Its fun talking to other players who have totally different "house rules".

I don't think you can play Puerto Rico with two. I've played it a few times and it was fun but pretty complex. There is a lot to learn and remember. Not as elegant as Catan or Carcasonne.