Favorite Board Games

Kyle

The two to multi-player option on Eurorails is one of the reason it looked so intriguing. I love Catan, but I'm bummed I can't play it with just my wife.

One of the reasons, I like Catan and other such games so much is the flexibility in the rules. Its fun talking to other players who have totally different "house rules".

The Farming Game and Carcasonne can also be two player ordeals . . .

My wife and I play just us once in a while, particularly Boggle, but she's awfully competitive and sometimes it doesn't end well :blink:

Edited by Chashab

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favs:

Chess

Scrabble

Catan: w/ Cities & Knights and Seafarers (but not the 5-6 player expansion please)

Carcassone - has some good expansions too

Quarto - connect four for Mensa. this game is awesome.

Ticket to Ride

Scattergories

Taboo (Catchphrase, if playing with people allergic to competition)

Cranium

True Colors (good for groups who are social but don't really like games all that much)

Mad Gab

Apples to Apples

For good 2 player abstract strategy games (ie. in the genre of Chess and Go), check out the Gipf series.

PS- for those that like Catan variations, a whole book of them has been published: Das Buch.

Edited by yank_eh

Can you play Puerto Rico with just two people? Amazon recommended five people, but is play possible with just two? It looked like a great game and my wife and I are always on the lookout for good two player games, like EuroRails.

My apologies; I only just noticed this. The answer to your question is no. Minimum is three, maximum is five. I have found that it plays best with four.

I don't think you can play Puerto Rico with two. I've played it a few times and it was fun but pretty complex. There is a lot to learn and remember. Not as elegant as Catan or Carcasonne.

I beg to differ regarding its elegance. Both Catan and Carcasonne are insubstantial and luck driven, but Puerto Rico requires thought and skill. I am a chess player, so naturally I do not care to allow fate to decide my victories for me.

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

Can you play Puerto Rico with just two people? Amazon recommended five people, but is play possible with just two? It looked like a great game and my wife and I are always on the lookout for good two player games, like EuroRails.

My apologies; I only just noticed this. The answer to your question is no. Minimum is three, maximum is five. I have found that it plays best with four.

I don't think you can play Puerto Rico with two. I've played it a few times and it was fun but pretty complex. There is a lot to learn and remember. Not as elegant as Catan or Carcasonne.

I beg to differ regarding its elegance. Both Catan and Carcasonne are insubstantial and luck driven, but Puerto Rico requires thought and skill. I am a chess player, so naturally I do not care to allow fate to decide my victories for me.

Thanks' for the info. I'll still have to luck into Puerto Rico. It looks interesting. Although if I'm horrible at chess...

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Both Catan and Carcasonne are insubstantial and luck driven, but Puerto Rico requires thought and skill. I am a chess player, so naturally I do not care to allow fate to decide my victories for me.

This is why I want to get this game . . .

There are good 2-player rules for Settlers of Catan available online. My wife and I have used them and loved them. I think it's called "Intimate Settlers"...

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Thanks' for the info. I'll still have to luck into Puerto Rico. It looks interesting. Although if I'm horrible at chess...

Puerto Rico is nothing like chess (if you want something chess-like, Samurai would be better), but Yank Eh is correct about its complexity. You will need to sweat a little over its rulebook for an evening before you settle down to play, and you won't understand the subtleties of its system until you have taken it out of the box a few times.

However, there are games out there that are less rules-heavy, but have an equivalent depth. The perennial classics Modern Art and Acquire spring immediately to mind. There is a splash of luck in Acquire, I admit, but a solid player should be able to outrun it and see off all lesser opponents.

Modern Art is a personal favourite of mine because I find the whole bidding process extremely exciting. Timing and outguessing one's opponent are everything in this game. The rulebook is slim, but you will need to play the game several times to grasp its strategies (it's not as simple as it first appears), and, again, you will need more than your wife at the table in order to play.

There are some highly regarded two-player games available, but I know them merely by reputation, so I don't feel comfortable about recommending them.

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

There are some highly regarded two-player games available, but I know them merely by reputation, so I don't feel comfortable about recommending them.

Would you mention them? I promise I won't regard it as a recommendation, I just wanna research them.

PS- happy early birthday Invisible Man

Thank you for the birthday greeting. It's actually after midnight in London, so I am now officially 44.

Lost Cities would be my first choice if I was going to buy a two-player game for myself. It has a big reputation and is designed by my favourite game designer, Reiner Knizia. It's actually a card game, not a board game, but Knizia's systems are so clever and so enjoyable to play that depth is guaranteed. However, I remind you again that I haven't actually played it.

Nor have I played any of the following, but they all have good reputations and look interesting:

Kahuna

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Starship Catan (okay, it's a Settlers variant for two, but what a beautiful-looking game! lol)

Tally Ho!

Babel

Hey! That's My Fish! (plays best with two, by all accounts)

Oh, and a special mention for Knizia's classic Through The Desert, which is also supposed to play very well with two.

One thing I should have mentioned before: there are expansion sets for Puerto Rico, but I haven't ever played them.

Now I'm off to bed lol. Night night.

Edited by The Invisible Man

I can't believe I haven't added this before, but:

Kill Dr. Lucky.

Save Dr. Lucky is okay, but Kill Dr. Lucky rocks. ::crush::

Peace.

Ken

Another game worth checking out: Bang! (and it's expansions)

It's technically a card game because you just use cards, but it plays kinda like a board game. And I didn't think there would be a "Favorite Card Games" thread anytime soon.

Bang! is 4-7 players. but you need at least 5 to make it much fun. it's a good game for gamers AND people who don't think they like games.

PS- Ken and Invisible Man, thanks for all the new games to check out.

PPS- Ken, I'm interested in the Dr. Lucky's but it looks like they might not have much longevity. yesno?

Edited by yank_eh

PPS- Ken, I'm interested in the Dr. Lucky's but it looks like they might not have much longevity. yesno?

Hi yank_eh:

I'm not sure what you mean by longevity: long playing time, durability of pieces, or replayability.

Most of the games I've played last an hour or a bit more depending on the number of people. (One thing I like aobut it is that I've found few games that have really good dynamics for five people. Most are designed for 4)

Replayability is fine--games will be different.

The game itself is not the most durable. As the company name suggests, they try to keep price down by making the games easy to manufacture and distribute. The game board is cardboard, and I've heard some people laminate it, but it's okay. The cards are less playable than plastic coated playing cards and are not as durable as I would like. Then again, at $7.50 (or around $10, retail), I could replace it twice before I reached the cost of, say, Trivial Pursuit.

If you google the site, they also have places where people post their own made up game variants. My personal favoirte is: Kill Dr. Lucky...and His Dog! (which makes it go faster because you burn more of the "save" cards the more attempts there are on sombebody). I've also heard that variations where you can also kill other players (instead of just Dr. Lucky) are pretty good, too.

Peace.

Ken

I'm not sure what you mean by longevity: long playing time, durability of pieces, or replayability.

Thanks Ken. sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant replayability. How often do you play it/How often can you play it without getting sick of it?

I find that even some games that are different every time can get old faster than others.

Has nobody mentioned

Stratego?!!

I mean I know it's short, and only for two players, but man is it fun! Not hard to master.

I once tried a couple rounds (meaning a few days) of Civilization III with a friend. But there were so many pieces and rules that we ended up creating rules out of thin air just to make the game makes sense.

BTW, what ever happened to playing Settlers online?

I can't belive no one has mentioned

AXIS & ALLIES!

This game is so awesome! It is the perfect anticdote to Risk. I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about it!

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Has nobody mentioned

Stratego?!!

I mean I know it's short, and only for two players, but man is it fun! Not hard to master.

I once tried a couple rounds (meaning a few days) of Civilization III with a friend. But there were so many pieces and rules that we ended up creating rules out of thin air just to make the game makes sense.

BTW, what ever happened to playing Settlers online?

I can't belive no one has mentioned

AXIS & ALLIES!

This game is so awesome! It is the perfect anticdote to Risk. I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about it!

I thought I had, earlier. Mention Stratego, that is. I dunno--I'm too lazy at the moment to look. :P

My brother had Axis and Allies, I think. Is that the one where we could catapult game pieces at the other side? If not, then I'm not sure what it is I'm thinking of.

Subtlety is underrated

Yep, just checked. I did mention Stratego, but didn't really get into detail.

Subtlety is underrated

Thanks Ken. sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant replayability. How often do you play it/How often can you play it without getting sick of it?

I find that even some games that are different every time can get old faster than others.

Thought I'd jump in here. Ken introduced my wife and I to Dr. Lucky earlier this summer. We've since played it with some family members, and it's becoming one of our favorites. There's something wonderful about the director's commentary in the rules of the latest edition.

At any rate, once folks caught on to the dynamics of play, even with 4 people we were ending up with very different games and the results were not terribly predictable. One well played card or move and the balance of power shifts dramatically.

In addition to the inherent joys of the game, I've been impressed with the WIDE selection of rules variants that are included in the instructions and also available online. For instance, if you get tired of killing Dr. Lucky, you can turn your ire on each other ::fencing:: Or Dr. Lucky can grow a brain and evade you more effectively. One I haven't tried yet, but want to, involves "spite" tokens.

At any rate, it seems like a very replayable game to me. And even if it isn't, it cost less than $10.

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

OK: List time

Other than a deck of cards, which five games should I take camping?

Well, what do you like?

Something like Boggle comes to mind first, especially if this is "purist" camping without any such amenities as picnic tables (or other flat surfaces). Boggle won't be blown away and doesn't have too many parts.

Dominoes would probably be another option in this way.

Checkers. If she's not too young, maybe chess.

Subtlety is underrated

Yep, just checked. I did mention Stratego, but didn't really get into detail.

Whoops! Sorry there. But hey, but I've found another Stratego lover! Cool!

BTW, Alan, on your camping question, when I go camping, which is fairly rare even though I live in Colorado, either me or a friend will bring Monopoly. You'd be surprised at how well it goes over in a tent under the beam of a flashlight.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

OK: List time

Other than a deck of cards, which five games should I take camping?

Here are all the games I can think of that might be good camping with a 6 year old

Boggle - as already mentioned

Jenga - hopefully those picnic tables are level

Mancala - you could even use pebbles that you find

Quarto - I mentioned earlier that this is basically Advanced Connect Four. Your daughter won't get strategy but it will be a good exercise in observation.

Checkers - as already mentioned

Pick up sticks

Some sort of memory game

(Riddles, Eye Spy, etc.)

How many other people will be with you?? will adults be playing sans child?

• 5 months later...

I don't recall if this has been mentioned here or not, but I thought I would add it anyway. For my birthday my wife got me Catan - The Card Game. We've been Catan nuts for the better part of four years now but have been bummed we haven't been able to play it at home as a couple - until now. The Catan Card Game makes it possible for Catan to be played by two people. I was a bit skeptical, but it turns out it is pretty fun. It combines the most basic elements of the orginal Catan (road, settlement, and city building by gaining resources through dice rolling) and some new aspects that are more consistant with Cities and Knights of Catan. I've only played once but found it very enjoyable and am looking forward to being able to play it again tonight. Another nice feature - its small size and easy set-up/clean-up make it easy to take it on the road. It's not condusive to an airplane, but to throw in the back of the car for a road trip - perfect! And it's worth mentioning the easy set-up/clean-up makes it very desirable. Much better than our other two-person favorites: Ticket to Ride and Carcassone.

Edited by Kyle

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

We've been Catan nuts for the better part of four years now but have been bummed we haven't been able to play it at home as a couple - until now. The Catan Card Game makes it possible for Catan to be played by two people.

I often play Settlers with just one other person. Not always easy to trade and the robber can be relentless, but still a decent game. But thanks for the heads up on the card version... with Knights and Cities elements, it's got to be good.

Bohnanza looks good too -- from your link, Michael, it's German, is it? German games seem to be generally quite good for some reason.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Only Settlers players will get it, but here is one of my most embarrasing moments: I once got caught playing Settlers against myself by my wife and neighbors. After interrogation, it was discovered that this was something I had been doing on the sly for a few weeks.

As far as the robber is concerned, we have played with ultra-militants and total-pacifists. We land somewhere in the middle. Our house rule is that you can either place the robber on a square and take a card from that person's hand OR you can not place the robber and roll again but the roll only counts for you. This becomes especially lucrative in later stages of the game.

Another variation we often play is to set up the basic expansion pack and randomly place all the numbers face down. All players place their first two houses and roads, and then all the numbers are flipped over.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter