Sign in to follow this  
Ann D.

Trees

I need some advice on trees. Currently in my backyard is a very large, very beautiful maple tree. This thing is gorgeous, and gives great shade during the summer. The problem is, it's too close to the house, and the roots are starting to affect the foundation. It's already broken up a patio that some previous owners had put in.

So unfortunately, I am going to have to cut down this tree. :( It breaks my heart, but what else can I do? I don't want my house to fall down.

What I have decided to do, is to plant another tree more in the middle of my yard, away from the house. I will probably not be in that house long enough to see it grow into the beauty of the original tree, but at least I feel like I'm giving back to nature, instead of simply destroying.

So my question is, what's the best way to go about planting a tree? I'm figuring that cutting down the original one is going to be costly enough. I'm not a gardener, and I want to be sure that by planting a tree, it will grow. If it isn't done professionally, then it probably won't live, and that would break my heart.

Any advice?

Subtlety is underrated

Actually, planting a tree isn't that hard. If you go to a real nursery (not the nursery department of a big box store), they'll be able to tell you (a) what trees will grow well where you live, and (B) how to plant it.

the how to is basically dig a hole about twice the size of the rootball or can of the tree you're planting. Loose the roots a bit if they have gotten root-bound in the can. put some loose dirt/compost under the rootball and fill in the sides semi-firmly. After planting give it some deep watering (let the hose run slowly for an hour or so) for few days or weeks after planting.

Edited by Darrel Manson

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

You may have already planted your new tree by now but just in case you haven't: Don't buy a big tree thinking that you will get a really big tree sooner. A big tree kept in a relatively small pot stresses the roots. A small tree, like a 1 gal will eventually catch up with a 5 gallon tree and probably be healthier. Plus it is cheaper to buy to get started. A tree will generally jus sit there looking the same size you planted it for three or four years developing it's roots. Then look out!! It will grow several feet a year depending on the type of tree.

I love planting trees. We moved to 7 acres of land almost 8 years ago and I have planted around 125 trees so far.

The best time to plant a tree was five years ago. The next best time is today!!!

We bought a dwarf Hinoki (fake) Cypress last weekend, our anniversary present to ourselves. We tried to transplant an absolutely gorgeous, mature one a few years back and watched it wither and die. That was tragic. Treebeard would not have approved.

So, last weekend, I was at the local (independent) garden center and noticed that the prices on a 5-footer HC had plummeted, making this "specimen" tree affordable. (We got the obtusa "jade" variety.) I'll post a photo in the garden album when I can.

Every year we buy one new tree and plant it into the woods on our property. After living here for the past 20 years it's a great pleasure to walk among the woods and see a memory sprout from the earth.