General Comic Book Discussion

Anyone else read Runaways? Anyone else excited that Joss Whedn is taking the reigns in a few issues?

A little surprising, but he did say it was his favorite comic book. Hopefully the writing will be a little better than the second and third arcs for Astonishing X-Men.

Sheese. Between this and the Wonder Woman movie (which, as it's looking, may get off the ground by the time they make a fourth Indiana Jones film), he'll never find his way back to television. :huh:

I will agree with others about Y: The Last Man. We are finally(!) going to find out in issue 50 what caused the plague and why Yorick survived it.

BTW, anyone reading Batman? Grant Morrison is writing, and the last issue was full of his trademark weirdness. "Man-bats. Ninja Man-bats. That's different."

Edited by Clint M
  • 5 years later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Fabulous. Making a note of these volumes (I already own Gareth Hinds' Beowulf). That Superhero-Whitman thing totally sells Leaves of Grass. :)

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here read Matt Fraction's CASANOVA series? Reading reviews, it sounds sufficiently mad to endear itself to me (I'm generally weak-in-the-knees for anything that draws on 1960's spy mania) and was considering picking up the first volume of the collected run.

Edited by Ryan H.
  • 3 months later...

Here's another thumbs up for Kirkman's Walking Dead. I'm also collecting them in trades, and I'm getting antsy waiting for the next installment. It's just a great series all around.

Wow, just caught this. Six and a half years later, my opinion is complete opposite.

But moving on...anyone read any of the Buffy comics, specifically Seasons 8 or 9? I'm working my way through Season 8 right now in trade form. It's nowhere near the trainwreck some have labeled it. In fact, the writing is fantastic in spots. But the "no limits" mindset behind many of the plot points is kind of....too much. The sixth volume, Retreat, was kind of the shark-jumping moment for me. I still like it a lot, but I can see how apt some of the criticisms have been.

• 1 year later...

Today is Free Comic Book Day. The kids and I went to the local comic-book shop last to get some freebies, and the boys are eager to return today. The oldest son wants the Transformers and Power Rangers books. Me, I'm wondering about how everything old is new again.

I picked up the Captain America: Winter Soldier trade yesterday, and I'm almost done with it.

Great writing from Brubaker, and the art is fantastic. I also really like

how they bring back a long-gone character without making it cheesy

So that was the basis for the movie now in theaters? I don't keep up with comic-book movies and heroes very well. I thought the current movie was based on an original script. It's adapted?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

My boys each loaded up on the free comics. I think they brought home six comics each. 

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 2 months later...