Sign in to follow this  

Ideology Reloaded

Interesting -- FWIW, part of this article, including the anecdote about the "idiot" he sat next to in Slovenia, is a regurgitation of an essay that the author wrote for The Matrix and Philosophy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/081...2X/petertchatta

Recently in the About this Website forum I discussed the idea of weeding some content and reorganizing other content (through labeling, merging, whatever). 

Here is an example of a thread that I think might be better deleted. The original poster deleted content and the reply makes little sense absent the message being responded to. I suspect the first poster did not want to delete the thread because that would involve deleting the follow-up message, but I'm not sure keeping the thread serves any sort of purpose other than a reminder that someone posted something and then deleted it. 

I offer this not as a particularly egregious example of anything but simply as an illustration of the sorts of threads I was talking about weeding. 

Does anyone have/care to make an argument for keeping such things?

Hmmm. I generally prefer keeping things to losing things. It's possible that an earlier version of this thread has been preserved at archive.org, so the now-deleted post isn't necessarily inaccessible, but the URLs have changed over the years, so entering the current URL into the Wayback Machine probably wouldn't bring up those versions of this thread.

That's a fair point, and I won't do anything drastic for the time being. I do want to measure the (seemingly theoretical) value of reconstructing a post with the accumulated (albeit incremental) aggravation of having searches clogged or opening a thread to find nothing there.