Dr. Who

Which Who?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Who?

• [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%201.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg2.html]William Hartnell 1963-66[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%202.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg3.html]Patrick Troughton 1966-69[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%203.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg4.html]Jon Pertwee 1970-74[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%204.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg5.html]Tom Baker 1974-81[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%205.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg6.html]Peter Davison 1981-84[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%206.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg7.html]Colin Baker 1984-86[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc%207.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg8.html]Sylvester McCoy 1987-89[/URL]
    • [IMG]http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/Doc8.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.wilson203.freeserve.co.uk/MyDoctorWhoSitepg9.htm]Paul McGann 1996[/URL]

Bowie Set for 'Doctor Who'

Rock legend David Bowie is set to star in the next series of British TV series Doctor Who, playing an alien. Producers of the BBC show have targeted the singer because of his "great other-worldly looks" according to reports. British newspaper The Sun claims the 60-year-old will clash with actor David Tennant's Doctor in a two-part episode of the show, which will be aired next year. A source tells the newspaper, "Bowie said he'd be interested as long as he's not subjected to hours of disfiguring make-up."

BethR   

Glad to hear Torchwood was better. I wonder if they're going to bother showing it in the States? There's been absolutely no talk of it. Not that I've seen, anyway.

I imagine there will be the hope to sell it into the US. It was jointly funded with a Canadian broadcaster, so maybe you could find it soon via satellite or cable if there's any cross-boarder overlap.

You can get a taster - unless you want to avoid possible spoilers - at www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood.

BBC-America has been promoting Torchwood at every opportunity all week, to premiere this coming Saturday at 9 EDT, following Dr. Who 2.1 (the first David Tennant episode).

Of course, not everyone gets BBCA...we didn't until last year.

BBC-America has been promoting Torchwood at every opportunity all week, to premiere this coming Saturday at 9 EDT, following Dr. Who 2.1 (the first David Tennant episode).

Of course, not everyone gets BBCA...we didn't until last year.

As I think I said before, it gets better as it goes on. I'm wondering what's happened to the second series - I was expecting it to be in the late spring/early summer. Maybe it's going to lead up to this year's Doctor Who Christmas special, or bridge between that and series 4 of DW.

I never posted about series 3 of Doctor Who back in the Spring. It was a fantastic series overall. The episode 'Blink' was the creepiest episode I ever remember seeing. Brilliant writing.

The three-parter which ended the series exemplified the best and worst of Russell T. Davies for me. It was very cleverly constructed with a couple of good twists, lots of energy and sharp dialogue but a major deus ex machina towards the end. What was absolutely stunning, however, was how theological an atheist like Davies can be. I won't say more now for fear of spoiling it (and because I don't have time right now) but I wrote an article about it for Culturewatch.

BethR   
I never posted about series 3 of Doctor Who back in the Spring. It was a fantastic series overall. The episode 'Blink' was the creepiest episode I ever remember seeing. Brilliant writing.

The three-parter which ended the series exemplified the best and worst of Russell T. Davies for me. It was very cleverly constructed with a couple of good twists, lots of energy and sharp dialogue but a major deus ex machina towards the end. What was absolutely stunning, however, was how theological an atheist like Davies can be. I won't say more now for fear of spoiling it (and because I don't have time right now) but I wrote an article about it for Culturewatch.

For an odd, Time-Lord-like experience, US folk with cable or satellite can be watching Who 3 on the SciFi channel (this Friday 9/7 "The Family of Blood"!) while series 2 runs on BBC-A. Mysterious!

I may have said (and if note, I'm saying now) that I was never a Doctor Who fan, in part because I never had the opportunity to watch any of the original series back in the day. I don't know that I'd call myself a fan now, but I have found myself increasingly enjoying the new version, with season 3 being my favorite so far. Tony, your reviews are excellent guides!

Maybe because I missed the original series, though, I still have a hard time taking the Daleks seriously as villains. Eps. 3.4-5 "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks" helped somewhat. The DH and I are starting to approach any unwanted insect invaders around the house with "Exterminate! Exterminate!" The cats usually do the job for us.

Maybe because I missed the original series, though, I still have a hard time taking the Daleks seriously as villains. Eps. 3.4-5 "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks" helped somewhat. The DH and I are starting to approach any unwanted insect invaders around the house with "Exterminate! Exterminate!" The cats usually do the job for us.

Interesting. They make many Brits break out into a cold sweat - part of our national consciousness (I exaggerate a little). My youngest has been doing good Dalek impressions since he was 3 (he's only 4 now) though he's never seen them on TV. I always found the Cybermen scarier, but the Daleks can still make my blood run cold.

I though the two Dalek episodes in series 3 were the weakest of the series. Family of Blood was a cracker - the end of the two-parter had me in tears.

Other tear-jerking moments in new-Who:

'Everybody lives!' - 'The Doctor Dances'

The separation of the Doctor and Madame du Pompadour - 'The Girl in the fireplace'

The Doctor dropping off the cable - The Satan Pit

The separation of the Doctor and Rose - Doomsday

A second spin-off from the new era of Doctor Who started on the BBC yesterday. The Sarah Jane Adventures is about one of the Doctor's former companions (starring Elisabeth Sladen who played Sarah Jane as she accompanied the third and fourth Doctors between 1973 and 1976), now living as a journalist who quietly investigates alien activity. The new series is very much aimed at an audience of children rather than the whole-family feel of Doctor Who. There was a good pilot back around new year which introduced two of Sarah Jane's new collaborators: schoolgirl neighbour Maria and superboy Luke, a super-intelligent but very naive boy who was created by the Bane, the alien in the pilot show.

It's good fun - my boys already love it after three episodes (including the pilot; episode 2 was also broadcast yesterday on the BBC's digital CBBC channel immediately after episode 1 on BBC1). Sarah Jane was always great, and she still it. Good to have her back on screens after all this time.

Sarah Jane was reunited with the Doctor in the episode School Reunion in the 2006 series (first series with David Tennant). Also reunited with the Doctor in that episode was the robot dog companion K-9. When K-9 first appeared, I was a kid and enjoyed him/it. Eventually he became very annoying and was dropped from the show. It was very sceptical about him returning in 200, but it was lovely to see him again. He's about to have his own series, called K-9, but it's not being made by the BBC which wanted to focus its efforts on Torchwood (returns on Friday) and The Sarah Jane Adventures. So K-9 will not feature the Doctor or anyone else from the BBC series.

Joel C   

I'm about two episodes behind current scheduling (in the UK), by watching You Tube uploads (season 4). Of course, we're still quite behind you all across the pond, since BBC America started the series over here so late.

Favorite so far this season: Planet of the Ood. I found myself surprised and touched by this episode, in certain moments. I really like the idea that was introduced in about halfway through, with the "song of captivity".

I'm enjoying Catherine Tate, but does anyone else really miss Billie Piper? Am I the only one who feels her presence was too brief on the show? Rumor has it that she's going to show up again for the last two episodes of season 4. I sure hope so.

David Tennant has really grown on me over time. I like his quirky characterization of the Dr. I still feel like he's a little awkward in the emotional scenes, but he makes up for it with the funny bits.

I missed season 3, so I'm a bit behind with how Martha Jones fits into the show. Anyone care to elaborate?

Edited by Joel C

BethR   
I'm about two episodes behind current scheduling (in the UK), by watching You Tube uploads (season 4). Of course, we're still quite behind you all across the pond, since BBC America started the series over here so late.

Favorite so far this season: Planet of the Ood. I found myself surprised and touched by this episode, in certain moments. I really like the idea that was introduced in about halfway through, with the "song of captivity".

I'm enjoying Catherine Tate, but does anyone else really miss Billie Piper? Am I the only one who feels her presence was too brief on the show? Rumor has it that she's going to show up again for the last two episodes of season 4. I sure hope so.

David Tennant has really grown on me over time. I like his quirky characterization of the Dr. I still feel like he's a little awkward in the emotional scenes, but he makes up for it with the funny bits.

I missed season 3, so I'm a bit behind with how Martha Jones fits into the show. Anyone care to elaborate?

I may be one of the few new Who viewers who doesn't particularly miss Billie Piper. Please bring back Freema Agyeman ("Martha Jones"). Tony Watkins should really be explaining this kind of thing, but I'll do my best. Martha was the season 3 companion. The Doctor found her in a hospital where she was something like a first-year resident (I don't know what the UK equivalent is). The hospital itself was in unusual circumstances--link to the episode site, probably with some spoilers. I've also grown quite fond of David Tennant's Doctor (esp. in "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood"), so hope he won't regenerate for a while yet.

BethR   

:spoilers: for Doctor Who seasons 1-3, if you click on the link:

My friend "londonkds" contemplates a possible disturbing trend in villains in Who episodes written by Russell T. Davies:

the post-menopausal woman and/or younger woman in a position of authority who is thoroughly condemned as a power-crazed harridan throughout the story or falls out with the Doctor at the last minute and is promptly treated as such....

In case I was allowing a few memorable incidents to colour my perception of the whole run, I have done a quick-and-dirty run-through of the stories involved. If anyone isn't sure what characters I'm talking about, go through my memories, but it should be pretty obvious. I've also looked at stories by other writers, to see if Davies is simply reflecting an inbuilt bias of the genre.

Robert (The Full Monty) Carlyle is rumored to be replacing David Tennant as The Doctor.

Trainspotting star Robert Carlyle is in talks to take over from David Tennant as TV time traveller Dr. Who.

Tennant is rumoured to be leaving the cult BBC TV show at the end of the current series in 2009 and speculation about his replacement is pointing to fellow Scot Carlyle.

Although Tennant has refused to confirm whether he will be quitting his role as the Time Lord, tough guy Carlyle hasn't ruled out stepping into his place.

He says, "Would I do it? Possibly."

Joel C   
Robert (The Full Monty) Carlyle is rumored to be replacing David Tennant as The Doctor.

Well, whoever it might be, they

will obviously be making a debut on Saturday

. I could definitely see him as a doctor; I wonder if they'd change the accent as they did with Tennant.

Edited by Joel C

Saw "The Girl in the Fireplace" last night. It was good enough to make me want to see more. I've somehow missed all manifestations of Dr. Who until now.

NBooth   

Has anyone been following the new series (either on the BBC or BBCAmerica)? I've been pretty impressed so far; indeed, I'm prepared to say at this point that I like Matt Smith as the Doctor miles and away better than Tennant (that's liable to be a controversial opinion, but I tend to find the more "alien" incarnations of the Doctor more appealing). Steven Moffat as the new showrunner brings all the best elements of his contributions to the series and avoids some of the narmier stuff RTA tended to get into.

I was really impressed by "The Beast Below." Really impressed.I'm watching through the Tennant years between new episodes, and "Beast" strikes me as the most talkaboutable contribution since, I don't know, "Dalek" or the underrated "Boom Town" (both episodes in the first series of the revived "Doctor Who"). It is (in addition to a rollicking story) an interesting and thought-provoking meditation on societal ceremonies of forgetting. As I commented at my 'blog (in a post inspired by, but not really about, "The Beast Below,"):

This seems to be the choice: either protest or forget. Moffat gives us one better (and here we enter possible spoiler territory). For those who choose to "protest" are disposed of and (if they survive at all) they are given again a choice, a solitary choice: "forget." A society based on the ceremonial forgetting of its sins cannot allow protest, for protest strikes at the very heart, the very illusion of goodness and justice on which it is based. Ritual forgetting becomes the only way to keep society together.

But, of course, this idea that we need to lie to preserve society is itself a falsehood, though it is not easily uprooted. Moffat demonstrates in "The Beast Below" that recognition of our communal sins does not in fact destroy us; rather, it is only through such communal remembrance (ceremonial memory, a sacrament) that we are empowered to live more fully realized and historical lives.

It's also interesting in this light that the option of "protest" or "forget" has a mirror in the option of "forget" or "abdicate." There's a plot reason for this, but but I think Moffat's also getting at the truth that to "protest" by bearing witness to communal sins is to surrender control (to "abdicate") and so to yield oneself open to the process of change and growth required of moral-historical beings.

Edited by NBooth

I really like this newest incarnation of the Doctor. I am not ready to say I like him more than Tennant. But already, I am enjoying him as much. I was reading a comparison of the various actors to play the role and the writer noted both Tennant and Smith seem to have brought in affectations of previous Doctors in their delivery, but Tennant was way more manic. I have loved Smiths apparent adjustment to his body. In fact, the first few minutes of the first Smith episode won me over with Smith trying to detemine what foods he liked with the young Amelia was one of my favorite Doctor moments ever. It was a truly endearing moment.

I had kind of trailed off on who, barely seeing any of the fourth series with onna, and missing the first special of the end of Tennant's run. But Smith has gotten feeling excited about Doctor Who again. I've been watching every week.

NBooth   
In fact, the first few minutes of the first Smith episode won me over with Smith trying to detemine what foods he liked with the young Amelia was one of my favorite Doctor moments ever. It was a truly endearing moment.

Yes. That's the kind of thing that really attracts me to the new run--a quirky quality that (imo) was missing in the angst-filled Tennant run (not that I hate Tennant, mind. Just sayin'). Even if this wasn't such a solid run of shows, these character-beats would make the series watchable.

NBooth   

A 'blog series on the newest season has begun at Religion Dispatches, with contributions from Gabriel McKee (whose book The Gospel According to Science Fiction is fairly high in my to-be-read pile).

opus   

13 Classic Doctor Who Monsters and Villains Due a Comeback

I've never seen any of the original Omega episodes, but his storyline/character arc has always struck me as interesting and tragic, so I wouldn't mind seeing him pop up.

NBooth   

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that lucky viewers tomorrow will be seeing the Silurians return.

Agree on Omega. Or the Black Guardian. Another good return would be the Valeyard. Since I'm very slowly working through classic Who via Netflix, I've only honestly seen episodes with the Guardian. But from my understanding, it's about time the Valeyard make his appearance, yes? Although, there's a distinct chance that

he already has, in a way, in "Amy's Choice"

opus   

This one's bound to make the nerds happy (though any nerd worth their salt probably has something like this already): "Every Doctor Who villain since 1963"

Here's a list of all the Doctor Who villains there have ever been since the very first episode in 1963. Whether it's to help you put your bet on what will make a reappearance next series or just to satisfy hard-core Whovians, hopefully this will help you out.

NBooth   

So...did anyone catch "The Big Bang"? I thought it was easily the best finale of the new series, at least since Eccleston left (they've tended to be very sloppy since then). There was one whopping cheat right at the first, but once the show settled into its stride I think they did a good job of wrapping the season in on itself exactly as had been promised from the start. That's both plotwise and thematically; all the themes of memory, of love as some sort of redemptive factor, etc all came back in this episode, making this the most thematically coherent season yet.

There are still unanswered questions such as:

why was Amy's wedding day so important? Who was the voice? etc etc etc

but it looks like they're going to be answered next season. Hopefully.

Edited by NBooth

Tyler   

I just watched "Blink" from season three on Netflix. I haven't followed the show at all, but my friend kept telling me to watch it. It's one of the better sci-fi hours I've spent recently. And surprisingly, not knowing who anyone was enhanced the episode as a stand-alone experience.

NBooth   

"Blink" was a good one to jump into if you're not familiar with the characters. It was easily the highlight of an otherwise pretty forgettable season (with an enormously forgettable companion). FWIW, the Angels show up again in the last season, in the episodes "Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone." Of course, they're somewhat...modified in those episodes.

Edited by NBooth

BethR   

Doctor Who "A Christmas Carol" on BBC-America Dec. 25, with guest star Michael Gambon.

Preview clips