Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

2006 MLB predictions

It's that time of year again. Who's going to win?

My predictions:

AL West: A's

AL Central :Chisox

AL East: Damn Yankees

Wild Card: Twins

NL West: Pads

NL Central: Cards

NL East: Mets

Wild Card: Brewers

AL Champ: Damn Yankees

NL Champ: Cards

Winner of the big trophy with lots of pennants: I hate to say it, but the Damn Yankees.

AL MVP: ARod

AL CY: KRod

AL ROY: Kenji Johjima

NL MVP: Pujols

NL CY: D-Train (yeah, a real longshot - but if he were ever to gel completely...)

NL ROY: Ryan Zimmerman

Edited by Darrel Manson

Ann D.   

I don't know about the Cards this year...they still have a good lineup, but there's a couple of key spots that are a concern, mostly at second and in left.

I hope I'm not stirring up a controversy here, but what about Bonds? If these allegations get swept under again, and I suspect they will, I predict him for NL MVP. No way will he break Ruth's lifetime achievement (and possibly Aaron's) and not get MVP.

Oh, and I'm predicting Carpenter for NL CY Young again. The guy just has it.

Edited by Ann D.

For Bonds to get MVP he'll have to play all year and with no DH in the National League (have I mentioned that I think the DH is the work of the devil?) his back and knees will have him out of the lineup for significant periods of time. He'll probably play enough to get past Ruth though. And sportswriters (who vote the awards) are not going to be in love with a guy with a cloud over his head and who avoids them.

Ann D.   

Sportwriters vote the awards? I thought it was managers and coaches, general managers, etc.

That seems...odd.

Why is DH the work of the devil? Come to think of it, why have a DH?

(All I know about baseball is from watching the Cardinals. Don't know anything beyond that. And a little history.)

Why is DH the work of the devil? Come to think of it, why have a DH?

The DH ruins the perfect symmetry that is baseball - you bat, you play the field - if you can't do one you may still play but you have to be good enough at what you can do to make up for the liability. It takes away some significant strategic decision that have to be made. It prolongs the game slightly by having more pitching changes in mid-inning. It adds to brawling because the pitcher doesn't have to come to the plate after he's knocked someone down and face the same treatment.

Why ahve a DH? Because baseball likes run production and the union likes having over the hill vets still on teams.

It's that time of year again. Who's going to win?

My predictions:

Wild Card: Twins

NL West: Pads

Wild Card: Brewers

Winner of the big trophy with lots of pennants: I hate to say it, but the Damn Yankees.

AL MVP: ARod

AL CY: KRod

AL ROY: Kenji Johjima

NL MVP: Pujols

NL CY: D-Train (yeah, a real longshot - but if he were ever to gel completely...)

NL ROY: Ryan Zimmerman

I'll take a cut at this:

AL West: Angels

Wild Card: Indians

NL West: Giants

NL East: Braves

Wild Card: Mets

World Series Winner: Damn Yankees

My heart wants to write "Indians" in those "AL Champ" and "World Series Winner" categories, but my head just won't allow me to do it. They're close, but still maybe a year or two away. I hate the Yankees, but they got better in the offseason with the acquisition of Damon, and I just can't see the Chisox repeating. And I think there's more disparity between the two leagues right now than just about any time during my lifetime. The Cards, still clearly the class of the NL, would be maybe the fourth or fifth best AL team.

The DH is evil, and until they repeal it, I refuse to watch American League games. College ball compounds it by having the DH and aluminum bats. Booo! Hisssss...!

Okay... back to predictions. ::cheer::

NL West: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL Central: Houston Astros

NL East: New York Mets

NL Wildcard: Philadelphia Phillies

AL West: Los Angeles Angels

AL Central: Chicago White Sox

AL East: Boston Red Sox

AL Wildcard: New York Yankees

NL Pennant: New York Mets

AL Pennant: Boston Red Sox

World Series: Boston in seven games. 20 years later, Buckner is avenged...!

My (unrealistic) hopes concerning baseball:

1. Get rid of the DH

2. Get rid of Bud Selig

3. Get a major league affliated minor league team in Evansville, IN (44 miles from me)

Edited by Michael Todd

My (unrealistic) hopes concerning baseball:

1. Get rid of the DH

2. Get rid of Bud Selig

3. Get a major league affliated minor league team in Evansville, IN (44 miles from me)

As to 1 and 2: You are obviously a discerning fan of great intelligence.

As to 3: How unfortunate to have no team at hand. Considering some places with teams (including 3 in Southern California's IE) you certainly have a valid gripe. Let's blame it on Bud.

Crow   

I'm not a fan of the DH either. That's what's nice about living in a National League city, we don't have to deal with it.

My predictions:

NL West: Dodgers

NL Central: Cardinals

NL Wildcard: Brewers

AL Central: White Sox

AL East: Yankees

AL Wildcard: Angels

NL Pennant: Cardinals

AL Pennant: White Sox

World Series: Cardinals (I've got to root for the home town crew!)

My unrealistic hope: Bud Selig gets ousted as commissioner, replaced by Bob Costas.

Edited by Crow

Ann D.   

My unrealistic hope-- Al Hrabosky quits as FSN "color" commentator and is replaced by someone actually funny.

Season's started - is it too late for this:

AL East: Red Sox

AL Central: White Sox

AL West: Angels

Wildcard: A's

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Dodgers

Wildcard: Braves

AL Pennant: Red Sox

NL Pennant: Cardinals

World Series: Red Sox

World Series: Red Sox

You realize that 86 years haven't passed yet?

The Yankees are the new Red Sox - it is they who will suffer heartbreak after heartbreak, who will have to endure 86 years between World Championships.

Time for a midseason check-in on the predictions?

At the All-Star break (admittedly not the halfway point in games played):

AL East: Boston

AL Central: Detroit

AL West: Texas and Oakland (tie)

Wildcard: Chicago White Sox

NL East: New York Mets

NL Central: St Louis

NL West: San Diego

Wildcard: Los Angeles Dodgers

Some notes:

-None of us had Detroit or Texas anywhere, but that is excusable. Detroit came out of nowhere, and Texas always plays below expectations. FWIW, I like the Detroit story, but I don't think they'll be able to keep doing it this year. I don't have good reasons to think this - they've actually improved their winning percentage every month. I just don't trust all the young kids to keep it up.

-Darrel was the only one who predicted San Diego. And who would have thought that four out of five teams in the NL West would have winning percentages above .500? Besides the Mets and Cards, the Reds are the only other NL (non-West) team to have a winning record.

-Those that picked the Yankees did so begrudgingly (Damn Yankees), so I imagine we are all happy that they are not represented at midseason. They are by no means out of it, but their age, their (related) injuries, and their depleted farm system are hurting them, and I still think they won't make the playoffs.

Persona   

I predict that the Cubs are going to sweep the Cards, first four-game sweep of the Cubs over the Cards in thiry-some-odd years. In the most disheartening season I ever remember (the first three weeks we all thought we were going to be the first Chicago baseball team to go to the World Series, cuz for all I care the Sox can move to Peoria), this is delightful.

-s.

Edited by stef

Persona   

I was right!

Cubs Rule!

Woo hoo! :D:D

-s.

Edited by stef

I predict, yet again, that by the first week of June there will be no good reason to watch an Orioles game.

Actually I watched an Os game yesterday at Anaheim. They kept it close most of the game, even led a few times. But they faded quickly in the last few innings.

I predict, yet again, that by the first week of June there will be no good reason to watch an Orioles game.

Actually I watched an Os game yesterday at Anaheim. They kept it close most of the game, even led a few times. But they faded quickly in the last few innings.

I had hoped that when I bought tickets to see the Red Sox at Camden Yards back in April, that there would be good reason for me to be excited to watch an O's game in September (to see the Sox beat them, as they head toward the playoffs). Alas, looks like I was wrong. It's not that I have concluded the Sox are done - I am a Sox fan that has a hard time not hoping. So I hope. But a whole lot of things would have to go right in order to catch Minnesota and/or Chicago (or Detriot, if they fall to second). And not much is going right for the Red Sox these days.

I actually thought about selling my tickets, but realize there would be no market for them.

Ann D.   

I suspect the Mets will make the World Series, although one of the Wild Cards (whoever it will be) could possibly make it. The Cardinals won't. They've all but lost their closer, and even though pitching has shaped up somewhat, the offense (except for Pujols, possibly Rolen) isn't up to snuff. And except for Carpenter, the starting pitching still isn't World Series caliber.

But one can still dream...

If you had asked me a month ago, I'd have confidently answered that my current hometown's team, the Detroit Tigers would go all the way.

But now my knees are getting all wobbly, and I can't even say how the AL Central will end up. :blink:

Crow   

I predict that [insert American League team here] will defeat [insert National League team here] in the World Series.

Not looking too good for the Chicago White Sox at this point, is it?

Go Tigers!

Ann D.   

The Cardinals really suck this year.

And no, that's not a prediction, just a fact.

:(