Sign in to follow this  
Persona

Silent Hill

I did a search on Silent Hill and didn't turn anything up, but if there's already another thread, feel free to merge this in.

Actually, if you want a real twisted and frightening game play any of the Silent Hill games. Freaky. Weird. Scarier to me than almost any film. Relies more on creepiness and mood than the jumps and monsters in RE (sounds like that part of the game is retained in the film, eh Peter?)

So they are making it into a film, and it is the first horror film I've been excited about in years. It is easily the scariest game I ever played, and I saw the trailer last night and it was authentic to the game's feel even down to the eerie music at the end. It looks and feels creepy and if it's done right, it won't be one of the bad films finding a home in Jeffrey's "Lame Horror Flick of the Moment" thread.

I don't think there will be too much spiritual discussion on this one, but I'm willing to bet that it will be one of the most chilling tales of the year.

Anyone else seen the trailer? Other views or opinions?

-s.

I'm not familiar with the game at all, but the trailer leads me to believe this may be better than the average video game adaptation. I believe it was directed by the guy who did Brotherhood of the Wolf and written by Roger Avary.

Stef is right about the game. It is incredibly creepy. The trailer for the film is also very effective. The highdef quicktime trailer is awesome. I am now officially excited.

Edited by rjkolb

I've only played the first Silent Hill game, and only for a little bit at that, but what I experienced in just that brief time was definitely creepier than creepy.

In addition to the trailer, there are also some pretty eerie and disturbing (but not gory) screenshots from the movie floating around on the Web.

I've played the first and second Silent Hill games. I would say they are possibly creepier than any entertainment I've partaken of. Ranks very highly in terms of my favourite video games.

That said, I'm going to see it. Plus, it's got Sean Bean in it. And while you may never get Stef to say "I ♥ Tom Hanks," I might be tempted to say "I ♥ Sean Bean"...for %15 of Starbucks that is.

I feel like I need to get my brain scrubbed after this one. Never played the game but a friend of mine has and invited me to see film. When I saw that was directed by Christof Gans I was interested since I thought Brotherhood of the Wolf was really different and I still want to see Crying Freeman. With Roger Avary writing the screenplay I was doubly curious.

:spoilers: :spoilers: :spoilers:

Anyway, I had no idea what I was in for other than hopefully a good horror movie. It was certainly well made and creepy all that but this film left me with the same spiritually dirty feeling I had after watching The Cell. The only sense I could make of any possible reason for it's being was that the film makers must have an absolute contempt for Christianity in particular and "faith" in general. The theme seems to be that sometimes people are supposed to allow for what the detective calls "The Devil's justice.". At the end the herione basically makes a deal with the Devil to sneak him/her into the church to get revenge on the church goers for burning a little girl as a witch. One major plot hole was the fact that it's implies the girl actually was a witch. (I'm not advocating burning witches at the stake here, just making a point.) The Devil/ demon child comes out of the church floor surrounded by barbed wire tentacles. The really disturbing part for me was that she is framed like the baby Jesus in the manger. I did not want to believe it at first but this seemed too obvious to be a coincidence. The tentacles start slaughtering the church goers and we see what hell must really be like. Too many plot holes and theological falsehoods to go into here but this film really bothers me the more I think about it. Anyone else ventured out to see this one yet? Was the game any different?

Croaker saw this yesterday, and he told me he was surprised he hadn't heard any buzz about this amongst Christians because it was such a blatant, obscene, and vile lash at Christians.

The first half was very much like the game, and I loved it for that. There was some terrible dialogue, and I mean awful, but I got past it because I thought they'd actually done it -- they'd brought my favorite creep fest game to life.

The second half is what Croaker and the SPOILERS above are referring to. I don't know what to make of it -- I do not think you could call these people Christian. If anything, it's saying that it is better to pick a side rather than live in hypocrisy. This is a notion I could live with, however, evil is eventually decided upon as better than hypocrisy, and when I take a good hard look at myself, I guess I'd rather be hypocritical than all out evil. (This seems to go against that favorite evangelical cling-on verse from Revelations regarding hot and cold and the spewing from God's mouth, but I think my speaking is of a different context than that of God to the Laodiceans.)

Regardless, it went a direction I never expected it to, and am not really pleased about, and I can't remember if the game did that or not. Truth be told, I don't think I finished the original Silent Hill for Playstation 1, so even though I loved what I played, perhaps I was unaware of the religious ramifications due to the fact that I never finished.

For what it's worth, the direction it did go to was a little too extreme even for me, and though the film itself just looks amazing and creepy, and though it blends a nice balance between live-action with makeup and CGI, I cannot recommend it for anyone. Which is odd, as I really thought this would be a very different kind of horror film.

Oh well. Back into horror-Bodhi mode: I'm still searching for that ultimate wave to ride.

-s.

From what I understand about the games, there was

an evil cult

involved. But the themes were as psychological as they were supernatural, often dealing with

repressed memories and sexuality, guilt, personal purgatory, and whatnot

From what I understand about the games, there was

an evil cult

involved. But the themes were as psychological as they were supernatural, often dealing with

repressed memories and sexuality, guilt, personal purgatory, and whatnot

Pretty much. Although, I quit playing after #2 because it was starting to get a little icky with the supernatural themes. From what I've read about #4, I'm glad I did - it sounds like the movie was based more off that particular game than any of the others.

Penny Arcade seems to sum up the overall reaction to Silent Hill quite nicely.

I wish it were easier for me to walk out of bad movies, because I would have walked out this one. Bad dialougue, weak story structure, characters that serve no purpose whatever, this was just a bad movie the whole way through. I never played the games, and I don't really have much wish to now. By the time it introduced the wierd religious cult as the bad guys I didn't even care, and just rolled my eyes at one more Hollywood portrayal of "Christains equals Bad".

I asked a friend who has seen the movie about the supposed "anti-Christian" slant. His response :

"That depends on what you count as Christianity. If you think the self-righteous piety of the Pharisees is Christianity, then the movie bashes that. If you think Christianity is an unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, then the movie does not bash that at all."

I asked a friend who has seen the movie about the supposed "anti-Christian" slant. His response :

"That depends on what you count as Christianity. If you think the self-righteous piety of the Pharisees is Christianity, then the movie bashes that. If you think Christianity is an unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, then the movie does not bash that at all."

:spoilers: :spoilers: :spoilers: :spoilers:

Of course the religious characters in this film are nothing like what I believe real Christianity is actually about. That's the problem. The film makers seem to be saying that unwavering faith in anything makes all people of "faith" into literally witch hunting, child murdering, zealots. If only the pious are being bashed here, where are the "good" people of faith? The rhetoric, clothing, modified crosses, etc. are all meant to remind us of Christians. Again, the evil spirit/ girl's mockery of the baby Jesus was particularly troubling since the herione helps it/ her.

Amen B.B.

Amen.

Both of you sound extremely reactionary.

The film makers seem to be saying that unwavering faith in anything makes all people of "faith" into literally witch hunting, child murdering, zealots.

I don't see how they are saying anything more than these people of this faith are pretty looney. Which they are.

If only the pious are being bashed here, where are the "good" people of faith?

Who says there are any? Why should anyone telling a story be held to your standard which says "free time must be given to every view?"

The rhetoric, clothing, modified crosses, etc. are all meant to remind us of Christians.

Or to remind us of religious hypocrisy.

Again, the evil spirit/ girl's mockery of the baby Jesus was particularly troubling since the herione helps it/ her.

Yes, this was a blasphemous scene, but in a horror film, scenes like this are generally expected.

I am not defending the film. The film was a disappointment to me. I am only noting what appears to be a reactionary tone in the posts. As if the film was made solely to upset you, or for that matter, your faith.

The world is a little bigger than that.

-s.

Edited by stef

Now I won't say it was the filmmaker's intention to "Bash" Christians, or Christianity, but it has become so easy for Hollywood films to make their Antagonist "Christian-esque". Granted, this film was following a storyline set up in the video game so the game's Antagonist has to be the film's antagonist.

The film never says these religious “Looneys” are Christians, but unfortunately not much of Hollywood makes the distinction anymore. These days I don't think anyone but Christian's make or even know the distinction for that matter.

The problem is that Christians are so rarely portrayed in a positive light that it has become a sort of storytelling short-hand in many films that "Christian equals bad." They may never say these people are Christians, but the symbol of the cross is used as well as the quoting of scripture, and for so many this just translates as "Christians".

Anyway, the confusing portrayal of this weird religious group is only a part of why this was a bad movie in my opinion.

Edited by Croaker

The rhetoric, clothing, modified crosses, etc. are all meant to remind us of Christians.
Or to remind us of religious hypocrisy.

I have no problem with condemning religious hypocrisy. As Croaker noted, the issue is that "religious hyprocrisy" is too often portrayed as being exclusively a Christian trait. So much so that I wonder if many non-believers assume all Christians are like that. Granted, we have done plenty to cause this perception on our own but I can't remember the last time I personally burned a witch at the stake. :)

Again, the evil spirit/ girl's mockery of the baby Jesus was particularly troubling since the herione helps it/ her.
Yes, this was a blasphemous scene, but in a horror film, scenes like this are generally expected.

I can stomach alot in a horror film. But there is a difference between blasphemy committed by a character within a film and blasphemy that seems to be coming from the film makers themselves. This film crossed a line that made me seriously regret having seen it.

I am not defending the film. The film was a disappointment to me. I am only noting what appears to be a reactionary tone in the posts. As if the film was made solely to upset you, or for that matter, your faith.

The world is a little bigger than that.

As for being "reactionary", I'm not advocating protests or a letter writing campain. I'm just sharing my opinion here among other film buffs. I can't claim to know exactly why the film was made and if I implied that I did earlier then hopefully that has been clarified.

It has.

I guess I just don't believe that true Christianity is in any way compatible with the religion represented in this film. Therefore, it really doesn't bug me. The filmmaker is wrong, but not necessarily biased. A story is a story, and a bad one like this is just bad, but only bad to please the senses in spatters of blood. I see it as a lot less anti-religion than an easy way for the makers to tap into every facet that unfortunately sells in the market that is film horror.

-s.

Edited by stef

This movie's been coming up a lot recently. First, The Unloved did a piece on it four months ago, which caught my attention (of course):

Then the YouTube algorithm decided I needed to see a video from 2014:

And then the Now Playing podcast put up a new episode on the movie.

So, basically, it seems like I'm going to have to watch this at some point. (Besides which, visually interesting horror set in an American small town is kind of my thing)

Edited by NBooth

Of course, the bulk of it was filmed in Brantford, Ontario, about 40 min away from where I live, so I've always thought I should watch it at some point.