Sign in to follow this  
MovieDoug

24p, 30i, 60....so confusing. Which should I use?

I am shooting a new project with an HD camera. I will also want to incorporate Standard video, home video, into the project. The Standard video and home video would all be 16:9. Does this mean that I need to use 30i or 60 and that I should not shoot the HD camera on 24p ?? I am using the HD camera to shoot my interviews. Most of the B-roll is already shot on regular dv 16:9. (not 24p) I hear it is hard to put all of the frames together for one project ? Any input ?? Thanks so much!! I would be editing with AvidProHD

I am surprised that no one responded to this question. I'll give you my perspective on the subject... and just like everything else, it all depends.

24p - is something that you would normally use if you plan on converting your video to film. Using 24p makes the transfer process much smoother since frames don't have to be dropped and audio re-synced. Some people might use 24p just to achieve a greater "film look" which to me simply means a greater amount of blurring and therefor less detail during action scenes.

30p - was a way to get that "film look" by recording the complete image in a single frame instead of interlaced with partial image for each frame (the way that a tube television renders it). Many dv filmmakers will warn you away from shooting 30p if you intend to convert to film, but there are some video to film transfer houses that specialize in that process and have done a decent job.

60i - captures as much actual data as 30p but because it is interlacing the data, it is capturing more timely information; this results in a much smoother picture during action. 60i can be down sampled to good looking 30p.

In my opinion, if you are shooting for video display only, there really isn't any reason not to shoot 60i since you can get just about any effect you want in post... unless you really want the motion blur of a slower frame rate. Trying to match frame rates can be a mess, you certainly want to convert all of video to the same frame rate before trying to edit it together.

Now, I am not sure how this effects HD displays. I think that LCD and Plasma televisions can display progressive images... so there might be something to be said for recording or editing in progressive format if you intend to output for HD.

Just my $0.02.

I am shooting a new project with an HD camera. I will also want to incorporate Standard video, home video, into the project. The Standard video and home video would all be 16:9. Does this mean that I need to use 30i or 60 and that I should not shoot the HD camera on 24p ?? I am using the HD camera to shoot my interviews. Most of the B-roll is already shot on regular dv 16:9. (not 24p) I hear it is hard to put all of the frames together for one project ? Any input ?? Thanks so much!! I would be editing with AvidProHD