Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

The latest plan is to shoot after Christmas. It's going to be quite different from the original script, though.

The script has evolved significantly since he first tried to make the movie with Johnny Depp in the late '90s (see the documentary “Lost in La Mancha” for a very detailed look at that era), and now is a modernized, semi-meta story that winks at his own attempt to make a film based on the famed Spanish novel by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

“I keep incorporating my own life into it and shifting it,” Gilliam said. “The basic underlying premise of that the version Johnny was involved in was that he actually was going to be transported back to the 17th century, and now it all takes place now, it's contemporary. It's more about how movies can damage people.”

Depp was to play a modern character named Toby Grisoni, with Jean Rochefort as the actual Quixote. Now, he says, it is in a sense about a movie made about Quixote.

“Our main character actually made a Don Quixote movie a lot earlier in his history,” Gilliam revealed, “and the effect it had on many people wasn't very nice. Some people go mad, some people turn to drink, some people become whores.”

Revived (again) thanks to Gilliam's deal with Amazon.

According to Gilliam, Amazon’s approach will be a theatrical window and release followed by a streaming Amazon debut at home. “I’m intrigued by their way of doing it,” the director said, noting streaming services were a fair extension of home video. “They go into the cinemas first and then a month or two afterwards they go into streaming. And I think that’s good because you get a chance to see it on the big screen, and yet I know that more people have seen my films on DVD than they have in the cinemas and that’s the reality of life now.” Amazon Studios are partly funding the film as well and the filmmaker is heartened by the rise of streaming services like Amazon and Netflix, which are willing to take risks in order to compete in the marketplace with the existing studios.

“Amazon and the like are interesting because they are all still in their formative stages,” he said. “They’re not a bureaucracy that has been around for years like the studio system, and so they’re full of people that are open to new and fresh ideas. So it’s a good time to be working with people like that.”

I guess this has to resurface at least once a year.  Now the talk surrounding this film is indicating that it will star Michael Palin and Adam Driver...

Story here.

IMDb link

Edited by John Drew