Sign in to follow this  
The Invisible Man

From One Wizard To Another

Peter:

That said, it still strikes me as an exceedingly strange argument to say that just because Jesus was sinless and I am not, I should therefore not allow myself to imitate his behaviour. Certainly Paul, who was extremely aware of his own sinfulness (and extremely capable of sarcasm and other forms of mockery), allowed himself the luxury of imitating Christ -- and of telling people to imitate his imitation!

I honestly don't have a major problem with your argument or point here, but I think it is a bit of a false either/or (as you are fond of pointing out when others use a similar argumentation style).

The fact that I am not Jesus does not excuse me from imitating his behavior, but surely it ought to inform which of his behaviors and in what context I imitate them. if I take the Bible seriously (and I do) there is no reason I can't walk on water. But I might take context (who I'm with, what the consequences of failing are, etc.) into account before I decide to try to imitate that particular action. So too with telling people I wish they were eunuchs.

Peace.

Ken

Edited by kenmorefield

The fact that I am not Jesus does not excuse me from imitating his behavior, but surely it ought to inform which of his behaviors and in what context I imitate them.

A big "Amen" from this corner.

kenmorefield wrote:

: The fact that I am not Jesus does not excuse me from imitating his behavior, but surely it ought to

: inform which of his behaviors and in what context I imitate them. . . . So too with telling people I

: wish they were eunuchs.

I heartily agree!

I heartily agree!

Thanks, Peter.

Having found nothing left to argue about in this thread, I'm off to bash Pirates of the Caribbean in hopes of starting a flame war somewhere.

Peace.

Ken

P.S. All joking aside, I've appreciated this leg of this discussion.

Edited by kenmorefield

P.S. All joking aside, I've appreciated this leg of this discussion.

In another thread, Greg Wright wrote:

and yes, I do think many of the discussions on these boards get rather snarky and small-minded, even inbred.

I didn't want to add to the other thread with tangential metadiscourse, but I thought it worth saying --as I hope is understood goes with my participation in a thread such as this one--that I welcome anyone to message or e-mail me if/when he/she feels my comments anywhere on A&F are too snarky and/or counter-productive. I have edited (or even deleted) posts when people communicate with me, and I suspect I'm not the only one who does so.

I would love to see a similar spirit of accountability to the one that prompts us to question what is going on in other websites be applied to how we speak to each other in this one, especially since nearly everyone who posts regularly here has at least 1-2 people, I think, from whom they might be able to accept such challenges or questions.

Yes, I know there are moderators here, but they are very hands off (I wish they would be less so, but I'm not privvy to how much they do behind the scenes and the easiest thing in the world is to be critical of how somebody else does the volunteer work you don't want to do yourself), and they can't be everywhere at once.

Peace.

Ken

Edited by kenmorefield

FWIW, I certainly don't want anyone to think that I've got some "holier than thou" attitude regarding the comment I made on the thread Ken referenced. I've often remarked to David Bruce and in workshops & seminars that the model employed at A&F (and other forums, obviously) is very close to ideal as far as online communities go.

At the same time, I can expand a bit on what I meant by "snarky and small-minded, even inbred."

Tight and meaningful online communities (like A&F, HJ, etc.) are characterized by a common commitment to specific ideals -- a good thing. What's important to remember is that whatever those ideals may be, they are nonetheless human and imperfect (even if they aspire to be Christlike). Consequently, an attitude of charitability should prevail when discussing either the intent or effect of other ideals within the broader Christian (even human) community. In this regard, I feel that the discussions at A&F are often lacking -- and it also often seems that participants in the discussions fail to recognize that search engines (and real people) are silently watching.

I'm sorry I can't point to any specific examples -- this is more a broad impression than a specific complaint.

But again, do remember that whenever I speak publicly of A&F, my comments are always complimentary and favorable. (And I have been a member here for quite some time, though I don't show up often.) My compliments to the moderators and administrators.

::I didn't want to add to the other thread with tangential metadiscourse, but I thought it worth --as I hope is understood goes with my participation in a thread such as this one--that I welcome anyone to message or e-mail me if/when he/she feels my comments anywhere on A&F are too snarky and/or counter-productive. I have edited (or even deleted) posts when people communicate with me, and I suspect I'm not the only one who does so.

Well said, Ken. I would invite the same, and have been glad when it's been done in the past. I've tried to tone down my comments markedly since my initial guns-blazing attitude, when I first started hanging out here 3 or so years ago. God knows I could still stand plenty of improvement, though.

::...it also often seems that participants in the discussions fail to recognize that search engines (and real people) are silently watching.

A rather humbling statement, that.

Edited by Andrew