Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrel Manson

Newport Beach Film Festival

42 posts in this topic

The program is up. A quick look didn't show me anything I recognized. I'll have to look more carefully as the time draws near. I'm open to suggestions if there is something anyone finds interesting -- don't know if it'll work with my schedule, but suggestions are always helpful. I'll probably include at least one program of shorts.

Any LA/OC folks plan on catching some of the festival?

btw, the opening gala is not underconsideration. I don't do $125/head movies.

Edited by Darrel Manson

2007 version starts in about a week and a half. Schedule here. I've gotta do some research to find the stuff I want to get to.

Day 4

5 films. I wish quantity was the same as quality.

Day 5

OK, I always hit one stinker. At least there were a couple good films so my day wasn't ruined.

day 6

::jester::

Day 7 The final chapter (includes my picks and the jury awards)

Free at last, free at last

Jeremy Podeswa's got a new film out? I'm still getting over The Five Senses -- maybe the only FilmFestDC film I've ever attended that I wish I hadn't. It wasn't terrible, just not very good in any way. Podeswa did a Q&A after the screening, but the only thing I remember was his acknowledgement that one chapter of the film was missing subtitles.

Edited by Christian

Jeremy Podeswa's got a new film out?
And it opens here today.

Jeremy Podeswa's got a new film out?
And it opens here today.

I read a few of your Newport entries but don't remember seeing your thoughts on the film. If you did see it, is it OK to assume you didn't think all that much of it, given that it doesn't appear on your personal list of the fest's best?

Didn't see that one.

Going to a meeting either Friday or Monday night to sign up to be a reviewer of the films submitted for the festival. No doubt I'll get to watch some good stuff and some really stinky stuff, but it ought to be fun.

The 2009 schedule is up

I was a volunteer screener for films this year. I see a few films that I watched on the schedule - some that I thought should be included and some included in spite of my comments. The good news is the one film that absolutely set my teeth on edge is not going to be showing. The bad news is that the film that had Dan Buck acting in it also isn't playing.

I won't be covering the festival like I did last year - I'll be in Pittsburgh (or en route to or from) for most of it.

I got email that they're ready to have volunteers start reviewing submissions for next year's festival. I'll have to go see what I can pick up. Last year doing this enabled me to see the worst film I've ever seen. I also (note the word also, so you know it is a different film) got to see Dan Buck act.

2010 festival schedule is up and tix are for sale. One of the films I hated when I screened it made the cut. (I have my theory as to why.) A few of the films I liked made it in, but not all.

Some highlights I hope to get to:

Friday 4/23 The River Why

140 also looks interesting

The Philosopher Kings I screened in the selection process and liked - it's a doc about janitors at big prestigious universities.

Wednesday 4/28 Air Doll (Koreeda)

Thursday 4/29 Ondine (Neil Jordan)

Submissions are now open for next year's festival. Info at their website.

That means they'll soon be letting volunteer screeners (like me) watch them. Now there is an approach/avoidance situation.

Starting my 3rd year previewing submissions. If you've sent one in, don't tell me. When I discover I know someone involved in a film - I make note of that in my comments. (As I did once with a film that Dan Buck was in. I was surprised to see him.)

Darrel,

Surviving Hitler (mention here) is a good, admirable film. (It won the award for most "inspirational" documentary at last year's Full Frame.)

When I talked to the press liaison at Full Frame he said that the Project Nim people aren't doing screeners yet, so if you have interest in that film, you may want to see it at the festival or it may be awhile before you get another chance.

Gibney's Magic Trip is one that I'm looking forward to, haven't seen it yet but I will at Full Frame, so if you want to ask me again in two weeks I can tell you what I thought, but given the director and subject matter, I'd want to see it regardless of what buzz was.

Ken

Edited by kenmorefield

[tangent]

A few years ago I put together a proposal for a Knoxville Film Festival and began shopping it around, but one reason I decided to let the idea drop is because I worried that it would end up looking something like the Newport lineup. I'm sure there are many good and interesting films there, and I don't mean to imply that I'm the final arbiter on what is or isn't worthy of festival inclusion, but I do believe that one function of smaller, regional film festivals is to screen the best of contemporary world cinema -- films that wouldn't otherwise have a chance of getting theatrical distribution in that area. So I'm always a little disappointed when I see such a big lineup with so few "important" films.

[/tangent]

Also, these publicity stills make me sad. Are Guy Ritchie and Zach Braff really the go-to auteurs of indie cliche?

001_TheCinemaHoldup_l.jpg

001_SimpleSimon_l.jpg