Guest thom_jurek

New Stuff Worth Hearing

Cush released an EP last year, SP3, but it wasn't available for purchase after they gave away the first 500 downloads free (of which I was lucky enough to get one), and it is now officially released through Northern Records. You can stream it from  through the link, but it's worth buying at $7.Great contemplative songs that build an atmosphere, I love most of the songs, but especially "The Drug That You Can Never Take."

Also, a new album from Preson Phillips, a pastor from Florida who's also a recording artist, with the goal of writing music meant for corporate music, albeit different (and imho, better) than most others out there. It's a blend of indie rock with folk/americana, and his voice has some nice oomph to it. You can listen to two of his songs from the upcoming album at his bandcamp page ( I particularly like "Wayfaring Stranger").

There's already a (lonely) thread on this, but the Eno/Hyde album Someday World is pretty excellent. And now they're releasing a second album, only two months after the first. If the preview track is any indication, this second record will be more Eno and less Hyde, but who knows for sure.

http://www.enohyde.com/

This has been a good week. I'm really enjoying Neil Young's A Letter Home, Sharon Van Etten's Are We There, Wye Oak's Shriek, and, believe it or not, Royksopp & Robin's Do It Again.

By the way, I've also really enjoyed the Springsteen EP that came out a few weeks ago. I can, at last, honestly say I'm a fan of American Beauty.

The Collection is an orchestral folk group (kinda Sufjan-y, with some Edward Sharpe and Keith Green mixed in), and their newest album, Ars Moriendi, comes out later this summer. They have a great, large sound, and the lead singer, David Wimbish, is incredibly talented (plays every instrument on his albums, usually around 10-15 or so), as are the rest of the odd dozen people in the band. Their previous album is free on their bandcamp page; it's well worth it.

Here's the first single off the new album via NPR:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/310783241/the-collection-the-gown-of-green

And here's an interview that describes the album:

"I've been writing some of these songs for a few years, and started seeing themes of death in them; death to myself, death of beliefs or habits, and actual physical death. My good friend killed himself a few months ago: it was so random and crazy, and several people in the band knew him. I realized, when it happened, I've never worked through or questioned death that much. It's felt far away, and this time it slammed me in the face.

So what happens afterwards? I hope it's resurrection, in the physical and spiritual sense. At least in life, when I die to myself or things that have previously been myself, I resurrect into something new. But the crazy thing is, it's a mystery. Every religion thinks it knows; everyone has experiences they think makes them sure, but none of us know what happens. We live with it hanging over our heads, this great mystery. Mystery is so beautiful though!

And I realized, though all cultures have a time of mourning, the American culture seems to be one of the biggest ones that stops at mourning. So I was finding out more about the Mexican holiday, the Day of the Dead. There's something beautiful about celebrating the deceased's life instead of just mourning. They paint these skulls, and it’s awesome, it takes something that we normally think of as morbid and sad, and it makes it beautiful again."

Edited by Josh Hamm

opus   

I just posted a review of Ben Frost's A U R O R A, which is my favorite album of 2014 so far. It's a bleak, punishing listen, but also exhilarating and stunning in its power.

A U R O R A is the sound of equipment being tortured and pushed to its limits until the envelope isn’t just breached, but rather, punctured, shredded, and burnt to a crisp by the exit velocity. You could file A U R O R A under “electronica,” “experimental,” “industrial,” or some other genre that relies heavily on electrical gizmos for its sound, and while any of them might be technically accurate, such categorization seems flaccid compared to the sheer visceral-ness of Frost’s music/sound/atmospherics.

Greg P   

This month's newer favorites:

Survival Knife, Loose Power - this is jagged, garage-prog all the way, with shades of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. I'm not sure if the songs themselves actually hold that much water (I do love "Fell Runner"), but the sound of this album gets my blood flowing. 

Kishi Bashi, Lighght -- I was out somewhere and heard "Ha Ha pt 2" pumping over a PA and immediately had to Shazam. Awkward electronic pop with gobs of 80's vocal harmonies. Fun summer music.

Might be my favourite track of 2014 (though I haven't purchased a lot of music lately).

Thanks for posting this. The ridiculous cover art and title scared me away initially, but I loved this song when I finally listened to it. 

Vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson has just released a new Blue Note date, Enjoy the View, that sounds for all the world like an unearther soul-jazz gem from the late 60s. Unabashedly a throwback, yet joyfully in-the-moment: Jazz the way they used to play it.

You know: If you're into that kind of thing.

Greg P   

It's rare that hype equals reality in indie circles, but the new Lazer/Wulf roars with an instrumental & rhythmic ferocity that demands absolute respect. Very real indeed. One of my favorite albums of the year. 

It's rare that hype equals reality in indie circles, but the new Lazer/Wulf roars with an instrumental & rhythmic ferocity that demands absolute respect. Very real indeed. One of my favorite albums of the year. 

Whoa. 

This isn't exactly new, as the album came out in 2013, but I didn't know where else to put it. 

Leo Bud Welch has been playing Gospel and Blues around Mississippi for decades, and at 81 years old, he releases his debut album Sabougla Voices.  If you like Blues, you should check him out.

You can stream it here.

"Blush"-- the new single from a group called Mr. Twin Sister-- is completely seductive; Pitchfork describes it as a cross between Portishead and Erykah Badu, which sounds fair enough to me.

The new Foxygen album — ...And Star Power* — is streaming at NPR First Listen... along with a flood of other upcoming releases.

*Is that title meant as an extension of their last album title? If so, high five to those guys.

Greg P   

Badbadnotgood's III is a really impressive, genre-skipping album, blurring lines between jazz, hiphop/funk grooves (they have done some work with Tyler the Creator) and even epic post-rock buildups. One of my favorite albums of 2014.

I can't stop listening to Robert Ellis's The Lights of the Chemical Plant.

And I'm playing this song more than the rest.

First full album listen of 2015: Dan Mangan + Blacksmith, Club Meds.

Considering how much great music I've been swimming in, celebrating the strongest stuff I heard in 2014, I figured I couldn't give anything new a fair listen for a while.

But this hit me like a sneak tidal-wave. Incredible sounds, incredible rhythms, arresting lyrics, enough to send me scrambling to read up on these guys. I'm going to be listening to this NPR First Listen a lot this week, and reading all that I can find about it.

How to describe it? I have no idea. At times, he sounds like Eddie Vedder, or like Richard Hawley, and at other times like David Bazan from the Pedro the Lion years. When the harmonies build up, I'm reminded of Volcano Choir.

But the layered rhythms take us into Radiohead In Rainbows and King of Limbs territory, and there are subtle and not-so-subtle '80s art-rock references... even a shout of "All she wants to do is dance!" Peter Gabriel keyboards give way to lilting African guitar riffs, and just when you think you've got a handle on it, it morphs into something unexpected.

Catch this first-listen before it's gone. 

Edited by Overstreet

Greg P   

I hate starting threads, so I'm dropping this here... I've spent some pre release time with Father John Misty's latest album, I Love You Honeybear and apart from a single, wretched and ill-placed attempt at a poppy dance track, it is phenomenal. Tillman knocks the ball out of the park with another understated batch of torch songs.  Plenty of his now-trademark semi-smutty, pompous and existential rambling on relationships, marriage, bizarre women (and men) and American culture... Quite a few laugh-out-loud lyrical turns throughout too, but he balances it all with some pretty epic countrypolitan balladeer crooning. "Strange Encounter" and "When Your Smiling and Astride Me" are highlights for me. Perhaps not as fun or rollicking as Fear Fun, but to my ears a much more satisfying listen from start to finish. 

Mike_tn   

Jazz musician Mark Egan's latest album due out St Patrick's Day this month, is already available for a listen on Spotify. The album is called "Direction Home" available through Egan's own record label. It's on Amazon as a pre-order. So far I really enjoyed tracks Summer Fun, Mountain People & Gratitude. Need to get off the mobile phone to hear the rest (hopefully).

Mark plays fretless bass and used to be in Pat Metheny Group in the late 70s. Drummer Danny Gottlieb, bandmate from Pat Metheny Group plays on this new album as well as pianist Mitchel Forman.

Greg P   

Badbadnotgood and Ghostface Killah's new collaboration Sour Soul is out and it's pretty fetching, especially if you dig the whole notion of the live band/hip hop template. Badbadnotgood serve up short but tasty doses of weird lounge jazz and 70's exploitation soundtrack music on this- the kitschy arrangements and production tell me straightaway these young guys have got quite an album collection at home. I've listened to this a lot over the past week, and although a few of the tunes don't seem quite fully formed, overall it's pretty wonderful (Danny Brown's cameo on "Six Degrees" is a highlight)  

http://youtu.be/H-qmZ_J7WGc

Edited by Greg P

opus   

A few recent faves of mine...

CFCF - The Colours of Life

40 minutes of instrumental pop that blends together world music influences and '80s music tropes -- think Bill Laswell remixing a Phil Collins cover of Talk Talk. You might find it really cheesy, and it sort of is, but it also hits a real sweet spot for me that taps into '80s nostalgia but goes into some new directions.

The Green Kingdom - Vapor Sequences

A 4-song EP of minimal ambient dub -- think a more spacious, ethereal Burial. Perfect for late night coding sessions.

Lightning Bug - Floaters

Lo-fi shoegaze/ambient/experimental pop at its finest. Brings to mind Broadcast, Slowdive, Flying Saucer Attack, and Amy Annelle, but has a singular emotional wallop all its own. This one came out of left field and just bowled me over.

Pilotpriest - W/W/D/K/F

Cinematic synthesizer music reminiscent of Daft Punk and Makeup & Vanity Set.

Cascading Slopes - Towards a Quaker View of Synthesizers

The best album that Joy Electric never released. Absolutely beautiful and emotional synth-pop.

Came across this gem last night. Out tomorrow on SubPop

Kyle Craft - Dolls of Highland

It's rootsy glam rock that is like David Bowie meets Bob Dylan. I know that sounds like ridiculously high praise, but I just say give it a listen and decide for yourself. This guy is brilliant, and considering this is just his debut album, sure going places.

NBooth   
4 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

Came across this gem last night. Out tomorrow on SubPop

Kyle Craft - Dolls of Highland

It's rootsy glam rock that is like David Bowie meets Bob Dylan. I know that sounds like ridiculously high praise, but I just say give it a listen and decide for yourself. This guy is brilliant, and considering this is just his debut album, sure going places.

Cool. There's some Beatles in there, too, I think.