New Stuff Worth Hearing

Guest thom_jurek

I finally got through all of it, and I dig it a lot. All three sections/EPs have fairly different, distinct musical tones. The last one might take a while to grow on me, since it's all bleeps and boops (electro pop!). A couple of the tracks sound like Return of the Rentals-era stuff mixed with the dark complexity of Seven More Minutes, and it really works.

Here's the one track with Joey Santiago. It's pretty awesome. I'm glad to see Matt return to bass again, after a brief foray into the acoustic guitar / instrumentless-ness that ventured into when the band reformed in the mid-'00s. I've always LOVED the man's bass tone.

Edited by Jason Panella
  • Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me likey. I think my favorite part of Return... were always the string arrangements. They seemed so out of place, and yet added an extra level of goofiness and nerdiness to an already goofy and nerdy album, so I enjoyed hearing them in "Songs About Time".

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've been listening to We Were Flying Kites, the debut album from Stripmall Architecture, quite a bit lately. Though it's a debut, the band is far from being a bunch of newbies. Before, they were Halou, who released a number of electronica-tinged albums, and before that, Anymore.

We Were Flying Kites is a bit frustrating at times. It's so smooth and polished, so full of studio sheen, that it's lacking those rough spots, those hooks that reach out and grab you. And it's such a dense, layered album that at times, I find my brain just sort of shutting down and letting it all fade into the background.

But when it works, it's truly a heady, intoxicating trip that evokes the Cocteau Twins and other classic 4AD material (thanks in large part to Rebecca Coseboom's lovely vocals), Massive Attack, and Achtung Baby in equal measure -- an album that you listen to again and again just to feel that sensation of losing yourself once more.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

On the melancholy guitar-pop/singer-songwriter front, former Daryll-Ann guitarist, Anne Soldaat's album In Another Life is thoroughly enjoyable and well worth checking out. Nothing earth-shaking here, but plenty of subdued and satisfying, retro melodies. Somehow he evokes a late 70's Al Stewart with some subtle Euro-psychedelia thrown in. Now there's a reference to frighten away the friggin hipsters!

Edited by Greg P

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

I recently downloaded Sing On In Silhouettes, the debut full-length from Crepusculum, and am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've been looking forward to this for quite awhile, ever since Fred Baty began posting new material on his MySpace page, and it doesn't disappoint. The name might conjure up Norwegian black metal, but Crepusculum's music couldn't be further from that. Rather, think John Fahey, but with a distinct post-rock (i.e., Bark Psychosis) influence/bent -- and a rawk solo here and there for good measure.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Vampire Weekend's new album will be released soon, on January 12. I had heard of this band but never listened to them until lately, on the net, and am enjoying their music a lot - it's funny, fresh, subtle, with delightful lead guitar playing by the singer. I remember their previous album had been praised in 2008. The new one, Contra, will be my first purchase in 2010.

51iQPIwZqYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Holmes Brothers - Feed My Soul (It's being released in March 2 on Alligator and was once again produced by Joan Osborne who also produced their debut for the label, Speaking In Tongues--meaning it is raw soul and bluesy gospel. They were her backing band in her early years in the bars of Brooklyn and the Bronx, and no one knows their live sound like she does).

I listened to this one for the first time yesterday (I've had it for a while, but your mention prompted me to pull it out). Yes, indeed, this one is very fine. There's a pleading Al Green quality in Wendell Holmes' vocals, and the harmonies are exquisite. There's greasy Hammond B3, backing vocals from Joan Osborne and the great Catherine Russell, and loads of funk. This one's going to be in heavy rotation for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely missed Fruit Bats' "The Ruminant Band" when it was released several months ago. These guys don't appear on anyone's critical radar and maybe that is precisely why this was instantly attractive to me. I haven't listened to any of their other albums but this one is totally straightforward, jolly Americana and if you fancy such with a minimum of navel-gazing, ironic production, then "Ruminant" is up your alley. Johnson's delivery evokes equal parts Robyn Hitchcock and Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)and while a handful of songs meander and nosedive, there's a simplistic joy to the bulk of tunes that has won me over.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Citay's "Dream Get Together"...Mmm-mm.

Midlake should get a clue and consult these stoners on how to properly build intricate guitar layers, noodley jams, ELP-era Moog bends and hippie-in-the-woods singing, into Prog with real hair on it.

As I mentioned in another thread, it's been an exciting week of new music for me...Fruit Bats, Citay, Jaga Jazzist and then last night listened to Four Tet's "There Is Love In You". I've been a fan of Hebden's stuff for several years, even his more recent experimental collaborations under his own name, but this is a return to more user-friendly aural landscapes of Rounds (which is a favorite of mine). Haunting, groovy and bursting at the seams with the coolest, brain-tickling drum and percussion sounds i've heard in a while. Love it.

And as a total aside... If you're a musician and love to improvise to loops/grooves, put this sucker on some headphones and jump in, headlong.

MY LIST 0F SONGS I'VE HEARD SO FAR IN 2010 THAT SEEM GOOD

(with links)

(to be updated)

(maybe didn't come out in 2010)

ADDED ON JAN 25:

Freelance Whales - Broken Horse

http://cowbell.fm/track/157333-freelance-whales-broken-horse

Wale - The Kramer

Lackthereof - Modern Christianity

(can't find a link)

All Star United - Dude, That's Freaking Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqWAqeB4CQ

ADDED ON FEB 10:

Sade - Soldier of Love

Edited by Joel

For the last couple of years, I've been incredibly smitten with the Mary Onettes. Since they've been covered a bit here already let me add a similar artist:

Northern Portrait-Criminal Art Lovers

Much like how the Mary Onettes have position themselves as an un-ironic 80's throwback who has a penchant for big chorus, sweeping arangments, Morrissey vocals, and chirping guitars, please add the Danish band Northern Portrait to that list. What they lack in originality, they make up for in execution. On their 10-song debut LP, there isn't a loser in the bunch. As a while, the album rises and falls, slows and picks up pace for the full 45 minutes, making an enjoyable and diverse listen. As an individual collection of songs, they shine. The albums first single, "Crazy", only takes one listen before you get the chorus, "crazy/why is this happening to me/crazy" stuck permanently in your hand. The title track "Criminal Art Lovers" bounces along with enough pep to leave you dancing.

Follow here for an mp3 of "New Favorite Moment"

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I've been eyeing this album for awhile now, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up. One of their songs -- "I Give You Two Seconds To Entertain Me" -- made my 2008 mix.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've been eyeing this album for awhile now, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up. One of their songs -- "I Give You Two Seconds To Entertain Me" -- made my 2008 mix.

That was the song that introduced me to their music. It's a mighty fine song. I heard that their LP kept getting delayed for odd reasons. Doesn't matter now though, it's here.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I'm not very familiar with Massive Attack's body of work, but I'm really digging Heligoland. Makes me wish they'd produce the next U2 record. It's vivid and full of irresistible grooves. It's the kind of fun I associate with Gorillaz.

Listen.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Tindersticks -- Falling Down a Mountain

This is the band that Claire Denis uses exclusively in all her movies. I've heard them quite a bit as of late and they create great mood in her films.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Who would have thought Tindersticks would be so popular on the lists? I certainly love the new one, especially the opening one-two punch.

Some other early favorites for me:

jj - n°3

Josiah Wolf (Why?) - Jet Lag

Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back

Matt Pond PA - The Dark Leaves

Toro Y Moi - Causers of This

Broken Bells - self-titled

Allison Moorer - Crows

Souljazz Orchestra- RIsing Sun (This group of Canadians are evolving greatly. They are not so much moving away from the brand of Afro-Funk they've become known for, but toward something else, incorporating more source material with some incredible arrangements for horns, vibes and percussion. While the listener can still hear Fela's Lagos in most of these tunes, there are traces of the music Ethiopia and Egypt as well as Persian ones as well.

Link to the thread on this fine album.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Just posted a review of the new self-titled Milhaven disc. If you've heard Explosions In The Sky, then you know what to expect, but the group still displays some nice chops. There are some lovely melodies woven throughout the sonic maelstrom, and when they get to rocking on tracks like "Supervulkan" and "Hunter", it's pretty cathartic, awe-inspiring stuff. And what's more, you can download the entire album for free -- click here.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook