Sign in to follow this  
run

On The Lot

Could you explain that "Argh." Jason?

As someone with a wife, 2 kids, a dream to make films, and a day job pulling me in quite another direction I would love to try out for this. Any chance is a good chance, right?

Had a feeling that was the Argh.

I hope to compete against you on the show.

Just remember...

IPB Image

There can be only one.

I had a terrible time finding this thread again.

Dreamworks aspiring filmmakers Hollywood Mark Burnett

There, that should help my next search.

Anyway, official site.

Applications can be downloaded from the site.

Both an application and a short film (up to 5 minutes) must be submitted by September 1, 2006.

Good luck to us all.

Again with the hard time finding this thread!!!

Link here to me stating that I submitted mine. Maybe someday I'll tell that story of getting that thing finished. Maybe it will be told on TV during the final episode of the 1st season, just before Spielberg shakes my hand as winner.

The deadline's actually Dec 1 now. They also changed the application, so that in addition to the short film submission, you have to submit a 30-45 sec "intro" video introducing yourself and your submitted film.

Just an FYI...

What the...!?!

So what about those who have already submitted based on the former deadline and rules? Do I need to redo things, or somehow send in the intro video?

Sheesh. I just downloaded the updated submission .pdf from onthelot.com, but the website doesn't have any additional info posted, so where would I find this out?

What the...!?!

So what about those who have already submitted based on the former deadline and rules? Do I need to redo things, or somehow send in the intro video?

Sheesh. I just downloaded the updated submission .pdf from onthelot.com, but the website doesn't have any additional info posted, so where would I find this out?

I actually found a phone number for Mark Burnett Productions and called and asked for the "On the Lot" casting dept. (310-903-5400). They had just changed the rules and were well aware that many people wouldn't know what to do, so I assume they'll update the website at some point.

They told me to just mail in the "intro" video (attached to the front of the submission short if it wasn't too much work, but not absolutely necessary) and put a note in there with your original submission # if you still have it, or your name/address/etc if not. They know they're going to have to match up new intro video submissions with previously submitted apps. Just don't re-submit online, or you'll end up with two submission #'s, which could make things confusing.

You notice that lots of folks are trying to make movies out of their intros?

And that many of them run over 45 seconds--some of them are over a minute.

I'm thinking, if it's in the submission guidelines, and the premise of the show is that you create a new film each week that has to meet very specific criteria, what does taking liberties with the rules of the contest do for your entry?

I uploaded mine last night. It's the fuller, scored, 5 minute version of After Service.

So of course they've pushed back the deadline to February 16th now.

-thump-

Say, SZPT--is yours online now?

You notice that lots of folks are trying to make movies out of their intros?

And that many of them run over 45 seconds--some of them are over a minute.

I'm thinking, if it's in the submission guidelines, and the premise of the show is that you create a new film each week that has to meet very specific criteria, what does taking liberties with the rules of the contest do for your entry?

So of course they've pushed back the deadline to February 16th now.

In line with that, what does it mean that they keep bumping back the deadline? If the online submissions are any indication it would appear that there is no shortage of entries. Does this change whether the show will still be shot in the spring? I wonder.

Say, SZPT--is yours online now?

I mailed mine in, so I didn't submit it online. Reason? I wasn't used to the Panasonic DVX, and my frame size was greater than I realized. The digital to VHS transfer helped crop the frame in a bit, so I went that direction. Unless the OTL producers put in on there themselves it won't be there.

I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine has been asked by the producers to create a second video based on specific guidelines that they gave him. It's due next week... The assumption is that this is round two for prospective contestants. Needless to say he is extremely excited and I am too.

Edited by coltrane

I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine has been asked by the producers to create a second video based on specific guidelines that they gave him. It's due next week... The assumption is that this is round two for prospective contestants. Needless to say he is extremely excited and I am too.

Congrats to your friend, coltrane! Any idea if his film is up on the site so we can see what a legitimate 2nd rounder looks like? Or what the name of his film might be?

I'll PM his link. Just got off the phone... he is definitely a second rounder and was given a choice of three topics for a short due on Monday. One of the topic choices was "abortion", which he oddly enough accepted... He's been working in the industry for a while and has a pretty long list of TV production credits and such.

I'll PM his link. Just got off the phone... he is definitely a second rounder and was given a choice of three topics for a short due on Monday. One of the topic choices was "abortion", which he oddly enough accepted... He's been working in the industry for a while and has a pretty long list of TV production credits and such.

Tried to PM you back, but it looks like your inbox is full...

And abortion, eh? Whew. Have fun with that one. [snipped]

Oh, and check out http://64.39.15.100/onthelot/ for search functionality on the website. Some dude put the page together, don't ask me how, but it seems to work pretty well.

Edited by popechild

Tried to PM you back, but it looks like your inbox is full...
::blush:: Um... yeah. I havent paid my dues in a while.

Well, I still have to be a little careful about what/how much I say, but I think I'm free at this point to reveal that I was in the running up until this afternoon to be on the show. They made a cut to the final 50, and I apparently made the top 100 but not 50. Ah well, out of 12,000, I guess I can't complain. Is this when I'm supposed to start hoping that the show it terrible, so that I can tell everyone how glad I am that they didn't pick me after all?

Nah. I actually have a friend who DID make the 50, so I'm hoping to see him make the final 16 so I'll have someone to pull for during the show...

Now I guess I need to cross "$1,000,000 Dreamworks development deal" off my list of ways to provide for my family after my wife gives birth this August and figure out some other option.

Popechild wrote:

Is this when I'm supposed to start hoping that the show it terrible, so that I can tell everyone how glad I am that they didn't pick me after all?

Well, if it's any encouragement, the show may indeed be terrible. It'll be interesting to see what made it into the final 50, but who will be able to bear watching the show when the head judge is...

Brett Ratner?

I mean, would you have respected criticism from the man who directed X-Men: The Last Stand?

Do any of these judges strike you as having potential? Seems like this bunch has commercial sensibility, but they're not necessarily known for artistic sensibilities.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Do any of these judges strike you as having potential? Seems like this bunch has commercial sensibility, but they're not necessarily known for artistic sensibilities.

Perhaps other than Carrie Fischer, the judging for the show appears to be based more on commerical than artistic. I watched about 10-20 minutes of the show last night, and it's... not good. I can only describe it as Project Greenlight with worse attitudes.

So basically this is going to be The Apprentice: Hollywood

I saw some of last night's show, and yes, this is going to be pretty lame.

Popechild wrote:
Is this when I'm supposed to start hoping that the show it terrible, so that I can tell everyone how glad I am that they didn't pick me after all?

Well, if it's any encouragement, the show may indeed be terrible. It'll be interesting to see what made it into the final 50, but who will be able to bear watching the show when the head judge is...

Brett Ratner?

I mean, would you have respected criticism from the man who directed X-Men: The Last Stand?

Yeah, my wife laughed out loud when that first contestant saw Brett Ratner and flipped out. She said I probably wouldn't flipped out too, but for different reasons ("Brett Ratner!? Ahh, come on!!). But it turns out I personally know 2 of the top 50, who both made it to the top 36 last night. One of them didn't get much face time (Danny) and I'm pretty sure he'll get cut Thursday. The other was Will, the blonde guy with 2 kids. He and his wife are good friends of ours, we worked on each others films in film school, and he has the sensibilities and personality to end up doing really well on this show. I can't say with 100% certainty b/c he's been pretty quiet since this stuff was filmed last month, but I'm pretty sure he made the Top 16.

It was a blast to see him get so much face time last night, and all of it extremely positive! The irony is that during the semi-final rounds, before I got cut (the cut just before this group that was shown last night), we would both joke with each other that we were fighting each other for the "white, male, film school grad, living in LA and trying to raise a family" spot on the show. There was no way we'd both make it, and I'm thrilled to see him doing well on there!

Oh, I don't think there's any question they're looking for commercial sensibility, I mean, I'm not sure Dreamworks would offer a $1M development deal to any *proven* artistic directors, unless they at least have commercial sensibilities to go along with the artistic. That's just kind of what you have to assume given the fact that it's corporate Hollywood. My guess is they're hoping to pull in the American Idol crowd, so I'm sure they'll be looking to have a commercial enough director win that when they put out his first movie, the masses will want to go see it.

But what struck me as odd is that the show didn't seem geared to attract the AI audience. It was a more subdued tone than what I expected. I have to say that I really enjoyed it, but 1) wouldn't expect most of my friends to, and 2) am curious to see what happens next week when they start the "audience vote" portion of the show. Is it all of a sudden going to move to a live-audience studio environment? That seems like it'll be a really weird shift in tone...

FWIW, HERE is a link to the films I submitted during the audition process. Click the "Films" link at the bottom, and then click the panel on the far left panel for "The Line Starts Here." There's a "Watch" link on the panel that pops up that will play the full 1 minute film.

As part of the semi-final round for OTL, I was called and told I had 1 week to write, produce, edit and turn in a second film. They gave me the log line "Something important gets lost." If you click the far right film panel, you can see the first minute of "The Transplant." Unfortunately, I can't show the whole thing due to film festival regs and such...