Sign in to follow this  
stu

Project 52 - a song a week for a year.

Met this guy at a wedding the other day, and signed up to his project - Project 52.

He is writing and recording a song a week for a year. Subscribers get an email when each one is finished, and then they're downloadable from his site. He's recorded a couple of mini albums before one of which I reviewed here - but said that he's got a bit fed up with this, and wants to do something more exciting and more now.

Each week he has to not only write a new song, but try and find the money to record it and some equipment to record it on (he doesn't have his own). Assuming all this doesn't give him a breakdown, it could be quite interesting.

About six years ago Robert Nanna of Braid/Hey Mercedes/City on Film compiled a list of his favorite 365 songs of all time. One by one, he daily counted them down on his blog. For the top 100 songs he had plans of recording a cover of each one and releasing it daily. He made it for about 40 songs before it became too much to take.

Every so often, the Crocodile Cafe in Seattle has "Iron Songwriter" challenges between (I think) two Seattle area musicians. They are given a theme and they have one hour to write a song and perform it. The crowd votes on the winner.

One song a week for an entire week and having to find stuff to record it. Yeesh. Sounds crazy. Good luck to him.

This week's song was inspired by Jesus line in Passion of the Christ: "See, I make all things new". And it's called... 'All things new'. Two listens, and I quite like it. Last week's song sounded a bit like a cheap version of 'The Gloaming' by Radiohead, and was pretty good.

Not sure if these are songs to stand up in a year's time, but it's quite cool hearing each one knowing it was written that same week.