Sign in to follow this  
Alvy

Crap film, but check out the locations...!

Innumerable movies have been set in Washington D.C., and a few of them have even been filmed there. I remember how thrilled I was that National Treasure got it so right . . . and how annoying/distracting it was that Paycheck got it so wrong.

What led you to believe Paycheck was set in D.C.? As I think I've mentioned, small hints in the film suggest that it was supposed to be in Seattle.

Edited by mrmando

P.P.S. I remember, too, being oddly disappointed in the film version of Clear and Present Danger as I used to take the bus route in Bogota over the exact stretch of road that Clancy describes in the ambush scene. (Say what you will about Clancy--he does his research.)  Needless to say, the film was nothing like it.  ohmy.gif

Needless to say, the film's plot was nothing like the book's either. blink.gif

Parts of Twister was filmed in Oklahoma, but to be honest I can't tell which parts were filmed here and which were filmed in Montana. Except Wakita; my family and I visited the set just before they started filming. Considering that in the movie, Wakita was destroyed, I couldn't tell you if it was right or not.

I know The Outsiders was filmed in Tulsa, but I haven't watched it since moving here so I don't know if anything would look familiar or not.

A League of Their Own was filmed at Bosse Field in Evansville, IN. It is the third oldest baseball park in the nation, and I've seen many a minor league game there.

So many movies have been made in Vancouver that there are entire books dedicated to pointing out where specific scenes from specific films and TV shows have been filmed. The first time I can remember pointing to the screen and thinking, "Hey, I know where that is!" was when I saw The NeverEnding Story back in, like, '84.
And now, with pictures. Weird to think that 23 years have passed since this film was made. Is Vancouver even remotely the same place any more? I mean, hey, this was before Expo 86!
How about people? I saw Guilty as Sin (1993), starring Don Johnson and Rebecca De Mornay, just because my sister was an extra on the film -- in fact, I spotted her the moment I saw the trailer, cuz she's tall and she has long wavy hair and she was sitting in the front row of the courtroom in one shot. She was very hard to miss. I think I saw the film WITH her, actually.
While I'm at it, the incriminating evidence ...

Behold the destruction of the Lions Gate Bridge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEiSyYVHymU

How many other Vancouver landmarks have been destroyed on the bigscreen? Earlier in this thread, we mentioned the Vancouver Public Library's central branch, which is blown up in the first three minutes of the following clip from The 6th Day (it also happens to be where my wife works now, and where I used to work back when the film came out; it was also here that the hockey riots started last month, alas):

Oh, and you can see Lions Gate Bridge -- the bridge destroyed in Final Destination 5 -- at about the 6:20 mark in that 6th Day clip, too.

Fun topic.

There's a scene in We Are Marshall that was filmed at a gas station up the street from my house. It's the gas station when the assistant coaches were driving home, pull into a gas station and first hear about the accident. We actually saw the filming while driving to visit my parents that day.

And one of the opening scenes in AMC's The Walking Dead struck home. I used to work in the building which served as the hospital Rick wakes up from in the opening scenes (and it used to be a hospital, so it worked well).

And my hometown (as well as several of the small town squares around the area) were used in Smokey and the Bandit and The Heat of the Night.

A thought just occurred to me: Final Destination 5 began to remind me of the Saw movies, with their elaborate death traps and whatnot; the only difference is that, whereas Saw features protagonists who trap all these victims, the victims in Final Destination are trapped by no one but the screenwriter. And the bridge that is destroyed at the beginning of Final Destination 5 is the Lions Gate Bridge -- the bridge that the Lionsgate studio is named after -- and it is the Lionsgate studio that produces the Saw movies. A subtextual dig at their rival franchise, perhaps?

A thought just occurred to me: Final Destination 5 began to remind me of the Saw movies, with their elaborate death traps and whatnot; the only difference is that, whereas Saw features protagonists who trap all these victims, the victims in Final Destination are trapped by no one but the screenwriter. And the bridge that is destroyed at the beginning of Final Destination 5 is the Lions Gate Bridge -- the bridge that the Lionsgate studio is named after -- and it is the Lionsgate studio that produces the Saw movies. A subtextual dig at their rival franchise, perhaps?

That seems too clever for a franchise that thinks you can have 5 *final* anythings.

To lighten the tone a little, apparently there's ANOTHER Beethoven sequel in the offing... or so say my friends whose house was being used as an exterior location a few months ago.

Got dragged to The Change Up last weekend. The movie was in Jason Bateman's terms, "crap," but I did have fun playing sightseeing across Atlanta:

Georgia Aquarium

Turner Field,

Ecco (restaurant)

Abattoir (restaurant)

Lenox Mall

Various shots of downtown skyline.

Still not worth sitting through, though.

The most well-known movie shot here was 10 Things I Hate About You. I know several people who giddily go on about how they were extras, especially in a big scene of a school dance. I've never seen it, because it is very much not my type of flick, but also well... it's hard to explain.

When you have to sit and listen to somebody go on and on about how they met Joseph Gordon-Levitt and how he was a prima donna and a jerk to everybody and this is how everybody else was and here's another twelve stories you've already heard[et cetera] ...I've built up quite an intolerance to the thing. I still hear random people talking about it on the bus and here and there in public. This is the usual conversation:

"Nope, haven't seen it."

"Seriously? So many of my friends were in it."

"Yep. Mine too."

"You should watch it then-"

"Not interested. Looks stupid."

"But it was filmed right here-"

"Don't care."

I know it makes me sound like a bit of a jerk, or contrarian for contrariness-sake, or just a general pretentious dipwad, TRUST ME. Given that this was already something I would have just ignored until enough time went by that people forgot about it and I could move on with life, it becomes much more difficult to ignore and let go of when NOBODY forgets about it.

On more interesting notes (that nobody ever seems to talk about) Rose Red and The Hand that Rocks the Cradle were also filmed very close by. The Rose Red house is very beautiful, though I haven't seen that one. Cradle I haven't seen in years, but I know where that house is too.

Tyler wrote:

: That seems too clever for a franchise that thinks you can have 5 *final* anythings.

Actually, the current installment *is* rather clever -- and in a way that kind of directly plays with your concerns -- but, yeah, the whole "Lions Gate" thing is probably a coincidence. Probably.

Side note: This is the first post at A&F that I have written on my wife's Android tablet, or indeed on *any* iPad-ish device.

On Tuesday I had lunch with a few buddies of mine at a pizza/sub shop downtown called Vito's. I guess Jesse Eisenberg's latest 30 Minutes Or Less, out this weekend, was shot here in GR, and that the only stipulation the owner of Vito's had with the restaurant being included in the film was that the name of the restaurant in the film had to be Vito's.

Persona wrote:

: . . . the only stipulation the owner of Vito's had with the restaurant being included in the film was that the name of the restaurant in the film had to be Vito's.

That's fascinating, considering how the film has a basically negative take on the main character's relationship with, well, Vito himself.

Persona wrote:

: . . . the only stipulation the owner of Vito's had with the restaurant being included in the film was that the name of the restaurant in the film had to be Vito's.

That's fascinating, considering how the film has a basically negative take on the main character's relationship with, well, Vito himself.

There's a framed newspaper clipping hanging up in the restaurant, and IIRC from what I read, and I think that I do, the owner is no longer Vito, but someone who learned the business from him years ago and respected him enough to keep the name when he took over.

I saw the '87 RoboCop only once, didn't like it, and never saw 8 Mile, didn't want to, both done in nearby

Aside from a few establishing long shots of the city, the majority of RoboCop was filmed in areas around Dallas, TX.  The shootout in the police garage was filmed over the course of a few weeks in the parking structure of the radio station I was working for at the time (Summer of '86).  The gas station that blows up was just down the street from my apartment, and rattled windows for several blocks.

Edited by John Drew

It's interesting, since I posted in this thread three(!) years ago, Georgia has become a hot bed of filming for both TV and film. The little signs directing cast and crew to shooting locations have popped up all over the city. Just this month, there are 20+ filming across the state (mostly in the Atlanta area).

Of course the quality varies from the high-end (Rectify, Walking Dead, Hunger Games trilogy) to the bottom of the barrel (Ride Along 2, Real Housewives)

I wouldn't call it a "crap movie", but the locations in Oblivion were astonishing and gorgeous, and really elevated the surrounding material.

(Later)

Okay, now I've read through the entire thread, and realize my previous comment is not the spirit in which the title of the thread indicated. So...

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 filmed all of its Rhino material in my then-hometown of Rochester, NY. In fact, my son and I applied to be extras in the film, but didn't make it. 't was cool to see Rochester streets and buildings doubling for the Big Apple.

We should actually retitle this thread as something like : "I watch this film because I live there!"  That would capture the theme a bit better.

In the “To the Wonder” thread, I wrote, “By the way, I lived for 3 years in a suburban Oklahoma home much like some of the homes we see in the Oklahoma scenes.  My familiarity with this setting makes the movie seem oddly more personal than it has any right to be, even enough to make me considering buying a copy of a film that I would consider a lesser Malick.”

Reality has a brief shot across the street from the Disciples/UCC regional/conference offices in Altadena. part of the sign is visible as Jon Heder is walking on the street in his mouse costume (head off)

Don't want to start a whole new topic for this, and I guess this is a good place for it.

OF course LA has lots of films shot here.  The business section in the paper has a map once a week showing some of the places being filmed.  But here is a long slide show of LA area churches that have made the big time in movies. Interestingly enough, I serve with the senior ministers of two of these churches on the regional Committee on Ministry for my denomination. One of those ministers did the wedding ceremony in There Will Be Blood.