U2 - "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"/Vertigo DVD

If anyone still visits magazine racks, this month's Wired has a pretty cool three or four page article on the 12.000 daisy-chained LEDs. The writer and his wife got to hang out with the band and all the technicians on a few of the west coast tour dates. How utterly cool is that?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone still visits magazine racks, this month's Wired has a pretty cool three or four page article on the 12.000 daisy-chained LEDs.  The writer and his wife got to hang out with the band and all the technicians on a few of the west coast tour dates.  How utterly cool is that? 

-s.

Even cooler is the fact that the writer is noted Vancouver-based sci-fi author William Gibson. His novel Neuromancer was groundbreaking at the time and boasts one of my favourite first sentences:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

It set the tone for the rest of the story.

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

I am so tempted to break the bank and spend it all for great seats when the band gets back here next month. What's worse and even more tempting is that it's a week after my anniversary... And my wife is the World's Greatest U2 Fan. Sheesh.

The question is this: What would you be willing to spend for the Greatest Night of Your Life? And not just a selfish night for yourself, but a shared memory with the one that you are going to live all of your life and die with? How much would you pull from your wallet when staring at the bottom line? 'Casue if I do go back, I've learned my lesson, and it won't be into general admission/standing room only. Nor will it be in the nosebleeders. I am looking at the United Center, Section 113, about four rows up. I am talking about staring Edge in the eye when he is walking past ripping off the starter riff to "The Fly." I am talking about seeing Bono's first gray hairs when he gets all political and passionate. It just seems like $1000 is not all that much money to spend for an anniversary to remember. Not for a night like this.

Damned brokers though. It really pees me off that I would have to resort to these means. Do we have a thread on brokers anywhere on these boards? I'm not half as mad at Ticketmaster as I'm mad at the ticket brokers... Well, and Ticketmaster for selling all their tickets to those companies.

Anyway.

Wow. How utterly tempting.

-s.

Edited by stef

Well, my front row experience in 2001 only cost me about 50 bucks total, and I'd pay triple that to experience that again. Maybe more.

I paid close to 200 to see them this time around... like an idiot... and I don't regret it. And those seats were only so-so.

I don't ever spend money on anything like that. It hurts just to buy a CD these days. But I can remember every note from that night. Bono and Edge did their "matador" duel right in front of my nose.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I lucked out this year and made it inside the bombshell. This from the cheapest tickets purchased during the U2 fan club fiasco.

We set up camp in front of The Edge and Bono was a bit to the right. There was only one much shorter person in front of us and 18,000 people behind. I couldn't dream of or ask for a better arena rock experience.

It's worth making an effort.

Clive

Wow. No more Frat Boy Hell for me. I just bled a very real green blood in order to have The Greatest Anniversary On Planet Earth.

This is going to be A.W.E.S.O.M.E. elephant.gif

-s.

I've never heard a Dashboard Confessional song. Time to go check it out I guess.

I... kinda didn't mind Further Seems Forever, FWIW.

-s.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. They filmed this at the concert I was at. Go Chicago!

-s.

Huh. The most interesting thing about that link story isn't about the DVDs, which we knew they were making, but THIS curious detail:

... the release list also includes a 3-CD set titled Chronicles. Hmmmm.... No idea what that could be, but it does list Island UK as the label and shows a release date of October 7th. (Thx U2tour.de.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

U2Tours reports that the band opened the third leg of Vertigo last night with a couple of tracks that have yet to be played on this tour: "Fast Cars" and "In a Little While," the latter of which I would love to hear them play when I see them in November.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

One week left until The Greatest Night of My Life.

-s.

Wow. What a great set list. Wish I'd seen THAT. Discotheque was great live in 2001 when they turned it into a harder rock number.

Stef, watch your tickets. I'm tempted to come a'prowling.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

U2 recruits Arcade Fire and Kanye West for even more dates, and sets a November 15 release date for their concert DVD.

I'm seeing them on November 19th-- one of the few dates for which an opening act has still not been announced. *Please let it be Arcade Fire!!*

Edited by Josh Hurst

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Here's a short video someone shot of the Discotheque performance in Toronto. It's not great quality, and it cuts out in the middle, and it's not really the whole song, but it gives a good idea of what they're doing with it. I especially liked the inclusion of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax."

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

I have no qualms with a perhaps slight exaggeration claiming last night as one of the greatest nights of my life.

Spend the money, people. Stay off the main floor, but as close to the stage as possible.

I am still a bit high from the whole thing so I don't have too much else to say. To be honest, I don't want to talk about it. Didn't want to today at work, either. I want to keep it to myself and just enjoy it.

For the record, I thought that Discotheque was the low point of the night, but U2's low points are still better than other bands' greatest performances. The whole War and Peace into Sunday Bloody Sunday thing with Bono on the drums is just too cool. I think that may have been the high point for me. But there are too many high points to try and pick just one.

Just wanted to sign in... Maybe I'll talk more about it later, maybe not. It's one of those reverential things that you just don't want to talk about out loud.

-s.

Dadgumit, stef... you got a heckuva weird setlist last night!

An acoustic "Walk On"? "Yahweh" in the main set? "Discotheque"? And "The First Time"...?!?

I like it. I hope they pull out some similarly fun surprises when I see them in two months.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

"The First Time"...?!?

That's actually the first time they've ever performed a complete version of "The First Time."

I'm stoked!

Can't wait for October 29th to get here! w00t.gif

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

For those interested and have a membership account at U2.com, the title song for Wim Wender's new movie "Don't Come Knocking" has been posted on the web site. Give it a listen.

Also, Edge, in a new interview on the site, discusses how the song, a duet, came to be and mentions he is working on ideas for the next U2 album.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up! Conan O'Brien's show this Thursday (Oct. 6) will be all about U2:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/05/t...2.ap/index.html

Holy Guacamole.

He's given them the whole show.

-s.