Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Pulitzer Prize Winners

Hmmm. No award for drama this year. I saw one of the finalists (The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow). Nice play, but it was no "Our Town" or "J.B."

In anticipation of Monday's forthcoming announcement of the 2014 Pulitzers, I'm renaming this thread -- the only thread I could find dedicated to the Pulitzers -- so it can be used to discuss the winners in Letters. (Discussion of any Journalism Pulitzers also could fit here.)

Edited by Christian

(Discussion of any Journalism Pulitzers also could fit here.)

The Journalism Pulitzer is now the Unpaid Blogger Achievement Award.

Winners.

I've put one of the poetry finalists on hold at the library.

"The Big Smoke," by Adrian Matejka (Penguin), an imaginative work by a commanding poet who engages the history and mythology of larger-than-life boxer Jack Johnson.

Hmm, I've only read one item in the list of winners and finalists, Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.  I thought the first 2/3 were gripping stuff, with a good portrayal of the NYC upper classes and Las Vegas wastelands, with excellent characterizations, but then the last third dragged, sputtered, and lost most of its steam.  Disappointing.

The 2015 Pulitzer winners and finalists. The latter included Manohla Dargis and Stephanie Zacharek for criticism.

How weird is it that both of the finalists in history have "Empire" in their title (and both focus in some ways on the process of globalization)? The winner doesn't, though, which is kind of too bad.

And--oh, dear. The fiction winner, All the Light We Cannot See, was praised for “stunning sense of physical detail and gorgeous metaphors.” That's the sort of bourgeois praise that doesn't sit too well with me; it's like praising a car for having the loveliest white sidewall tires. Looking inside on Amazon, the novel seems to be better-written than the San Francisco Chronicle's comment would suggest, though.

The 2015 Pulitzer winners and finalists. The latter included Manohla Dargis and Stephanie Zacharek for criticism.

The former includes LA Times TV critic Mary McNamara.

How weird is it that both of the finalists in history have "Empire" in their title (and both focus in some ways on the process of globalization)? The winner doesn't, though, which is kind of too bad.

And--oh, dear. The fiction winner, All the Light We Cannot See, was praised for “stunning sense of physical detail and gorgeous metaphors.” That's the sort of bourgeois praise that doesn't sit too well with me; it's like praising a car for having the loveliest white sidewall tires. Looking inside on Amazon, the novel seems to be better-written than the San Francisco Chronicle's comment would suggest, though.

I haven't read All the Light We Cannot See, but I was very impressed by a short story I read by its writer a few years back. Village 113 by Anthony Doerr. One of my recent favorites.