Sign in to follow this  
Christian

College Book Choice Leads to Charges

I haven't fully processed this story yet, but there's a lot to chew on.

The predictable:

-A librarian picks a controversial book for a required Freshman reading project

-Campus lib's are upset that someone dared to suggest a book that doesn't coddle particular minority groups, but even dares to say those groups have their own agenda

-The open-minded committee members have charged this firebrand librarian with harassment

But there's some strange stuff as well:

-The librarian's choice, in this case, is controversial because the selected book is perceived as too "conservative" (or "hateful," but we all know those two terms mean the same thing)

-The librarian is part of that Quaker "group." He uses a horse and buggy ... and e-mail

-A Christian legal defense group is backing the librarian by ... sigh ... threatening to sue.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Woohoo! Go Bucks! What a great alma mater I have. Stupid Christians, I don't know why the university hires them. Fire Tressel, too, he's a Christian. Probably lets those nasty AIA campus proselytizers bully the football players.