Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Princess Bride: The Musical

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this could be one of the best musicals ever! Or, it could be a campy, sappy pile of crap.... but the idea holds promise. The Princess Bride is a little gem.

The Princess Bride is a little gem.

Which is why it should be left ALONE. It's perfect as it is. There's a novel, which is brilliant. There's a film, which is also, remarkably, unusually, perhaps even miraculously brilliant, in its own way. Nobody really needs a musical, except people who think they can make more money.

I second the AAAUUGGHHH.

Edited by BethR

But this kind of thing seems like a basic commercial venture designed for mass consumption rather than a thoughtful retelling.

That's what I was saying.

I've always wanted to be the one to turn it into a play, not sure about adding music... i knew it would happen eventually, just dissappointed it wasn't me who's doing it, it's been my favorite book and movie for ever.

Apparently not.

I'm actually kind of disappointed. Once I got over the initial dread, I began to hope Goldman would be able to do the impossible twice. Plus, the music to The Light in the Piazza, Guettel's previous musical, is one of my absolute favorite Broadway scores, and I would have loved to see his work on The Princess Bride.

Oh well.