Sign in to follow this  

The Princess Bride: The Musical

Okay, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this could be one of the best musicals ever! Or, it could be a campy, sappy pile of crap.... but the idea holds promise. The Princess Bride is a little gem.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

The Princess Bride is a little gem.

Which is why it should be left ALONE. It's perfect as it is. There's a novel, which is brilliant. There's a film, which is also, remarkably, unusually, perhaps even miraculously brilliant, in its own way. Nobody really needs a musical, except people who think they can make more money.

I second the AAAUUGGHHH.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

But this kind of thing seems like a basic commercial venture designed for mass consumption rather than a thoughtful retelling.

That's what I was saying.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I've always wanted to be the one to turn it into a play, not sure about adding music... i knew it would happen eventually, just dissappointed it wasn't me who's doing it, it's been my favorite book and movie for ever.

Apparently not.

I'm actually kind of disappointed. Once I got over the initial dread, I began to hope Goldman would be able to do the impossible twice. Plus, the music to The Light in the Piazza, Guettel's previous musical, is one of my absolute favorite Broadway scores, and I would have loved to see his work on The Princess Bride.

Oh well.

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

Now coming from Disney -- although Disney hasn't specified that their stage adaptation *will* be a musical, yet.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.