Sign in to follow this  
BBBCanada

Cornerstone 2006

Think'n that I might have to take a floater day off (if I don't have the day off already) and heading over to Cornerstone with my son. I've never been to any of these festivals and I'm wonder'n what its like? For example, I noticed that they have different stages. Are bands playing on different stages at the same time? How is that for listening? Can you attend just for the day? Is there food? Where do you park? What should I know before I go? Do they serve beer and pretzels? Can any of you guys who have been there help me out?

The festival itself, it is located on the grounds of a former Christian retreat center, and there is a lot of room for camping, and a nice lake too with a beach where you can go swimming.. The place is about 575 acres in all, so there

Edited by Crow

Thank you very much Crow. I hate going to some large conference or festival or what have you and finding out that I just bought a ticket to the world of confusion and mayhem. This was very informative. Thanks a lot. My son especially wants to see, "As I Lay Dying" and "Hawk Nelson." You gonna be there?

Edited by BBBCanada

I'll be at Cornerstone. If I wander by the tents where the bands you mentioned are playing, I'll probably have my earplugs on. Be sure to stop by Flickerings if you get a chance, you'll run into some of us A&F folks. :)

This thread reminds me that I really need to repost all of the articles, reviews, etc. that I wrote back when I was a Cornerstone regular (7 years in a row).

I think it just focuses on the concerts right now, but the Cornerstone Schedule Maker might come in handy for folks going this year.

I just saw that this falls over my birthday this year. How much does it cost? Are there hotels nearby?

Edited by Ann D.

Tickets at the gate are $125 for the whole four days, or $45 for one day. If you order online through the website you can get a discount: $112 if you order by May 31st or $115 by June 15th.

As far as hotels, the festival takes place in the middle of nowhere. The closest town where you can find someplace to stay, Macomb, is about 20 minutes drive from the main gate, and there are some other towns between half and hour to an hour drive away. I always camp with the masses on the site, so I've never tried to book one of these places. Maybe someone else who has been there can give you advice on the best place to stay. I would imagine that the closest places fill up fast.

This page has a list of towns and hotels in the vicinity of Bushnell, the tiny town next to the festival:

http://www.cornerstonefestival.com/informa...=accommodations

Thank you very much Crow. I hate going to some large conference or festival or what have you and finding out that I just bought a ticket to the world of confusion and mayhem. This was very informative. Thanks a lot. My son especially wants to see, "As I Lay Dying" and "Hawk Nelson." You gonna be there?

Just so you know, there's also an awesome festival called Alive (www.alive.org) in Ohio...

I just saw that this falls over my birthday this year. How much does it cost? Are there hotels nearby?

In addition to the hotels, I believe you can also stay at the dorms of a nearby community college (the name of which escapes me at the moment). However, all of these places fill up quickly, partly because that's where many of the performers stay.

I've always camped out - it seemed like a "truer" festival experience that way, at least to me. However, if/when I go back, I'm definitely going to look into the hotels, etc. The last year or two I went, the camping just about did me in, due to heat and exhaustion, and the festival became an absolute chore due to all of the running around I was doing for coverage (and as a matter of pride, I refused to use those annoying golf carts).

I have tentative--and I mean tentative--plans to go. I asked for time off anyway. Whether or not I can afford it is something else. If I suck it up and camp, then I'll save loads on hotels. But I hate camping. Hmm.

Anyway, if I do this, I'll probably drive on the 5th and stay a night in St. Louis. That'll break it up nicely.

This is a possibility. I have a friend who would be more than happy to loan me camping stuff. Heck, she'd probably love to go, except she's more broke than I am.

So it's a possibility.

Ticket's have been ordered at the last second (because I wasn't sure what my work schedule was going to be). My son and I will be there T, W, Th and leaving Thu night for me to be back at work on Friday. Whose going? See yaaaaaaa!

I'll be there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I may end up down there for a day or two, maybe with my 3 1/2 year old. However, I would just be there strictly to shoot stills and get some video footage for some sociological inquiry.

Well, I just bought a Canon PowerShot A700, so, I'll be taking some pics of the goings ons down there. To tell you the truth I didn't know that Bushnell was like 8hrs away. I'm think'n something close to Chicago...4-5 hours away. I think I may have to ask for a second day off. :D My oldest, "The Seventh String" just graduated from grade 8 (partly a graduation gift) and he is SOOOOO PUMPED to go. By the way, what about shower facilities and what not? Or do I have to basically rough it for a few days?

Well, I just bought a Canon PowerShot A700, so, I'll be taking some pics of the goings ons down there. To tell you the truth I didn't know that Bushnell was like 8hrs away. I'm think'n something close to Chicago...4-5 hours away. I think I may have to ask for a second day off. :D My oldest, "The Seventh String" just graduated from grade 8 (partly a graduation gift) and he is SOOOOO PUMPED to go. By the way, what about shower facilities and what not? Or do I have to basically rough it for a few days?

Yep, it's about 4 or 5 hours away from Chicago, although, we can usually make it in about 3 1/2 to 4.

There are shower facilities, mostly cold water unless you go during the non-peak hours.

If anyone's curious, I've uploaded a ton of photos from past Cornerstones to my Flickr account. I've uploaded two sets for each year, one of general fest-related photos (including plenty of my and my friends just being silly and stupid) and one of the bands we saw.

I'm planning on getting there Tuesday and staying until Sunday. Fortunately it's only about a three and a half hour drive for me.

Yeah I'm extremly pumped for those bands, but the band that will probably be the best there pops, will be UnderOATH! Only 5 days!!!

Back from Cornerstone 2006 already--had to work today. Have some pics. Will share some of them soon. My son had a pretty good blast. I did too--for the most part. If you like "Screamo" and "emo" then Cornerstone 2006 was for you. Probably will go next year. Also in two-three weeks, my son and I will go to JPUSA and help with the community there. I don't care what we do. Cleaning toilets, feeding the homeless, picking up garbage. I don't care. Just wanna serve and "set the horizon" for my boy. Love ya Little B-Man. :)

I'm back as well. I'm sorry I missed you, Brandon. Glad you and your son had fun.

I had a blast. The weather was wonderful--mid-80's all week. I met Doug C and Mike H, who kindly bought me an elephant ear for my birthday. :) I will definitely try to go again next year. The films were great, the discussions even better, and Dardenne is going in my Netflix queue, since I missed all but Rosetta. And Mike did a fabulous job with Flickerings and Imaginarium .

Alan, Jeffrey, Stef--all of you mentioned you were "absolutely" going next year. Doug, Mike, Jim (Crow) and I are holding you to it. ;)

Edited by Ann D.

Alan, Jeffrey, Stef, Doug, Mike, Crow, and Ann at C-Stone '07?!?

I might have to revise next year's travel plans.

Doug was there??? I missed Doug C??? What??? I had to leave around 4:30pm on Thursday. What time did you get there Ann? I was sorry I missed you too. I didn't see ANYONE from here. I walking into Flickerings, and there was a person with greyish hair speaking about lighting on a desk and whether to shine it from high up or at "desk-level." I didn't want to interrupt. Was that one of you guys? I keep thinking about Cornerstone. I'm not the camping type. But I have made up my mind that I want to definitely go to this again. God was there in spite of protesters at the front gate holding up signs saying, "Cornerstone dishonors God."

God was there in spite of protesters at the front gate holding up signs saying, "Cornerstone dishonors God."

Can I ask what these protestor's were protesting, exactly??? Very curious . . .