Nintendo wii

Clint M

Wii.

Let me put that in perspective.

The next generation console for Nintendo is called the Wii.

And this is what Nintendo calls the reasoning for the... Wii:

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

Okie dokie.

I'd love to be the marketing guy that gets paid a bajillion dollars to come up with misspellings and imaginary words... er... I mean, creative marketing solutions and branding identities.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I have a feeling Shigeru Miyamoto (who created Mario) walked into the meeting and said, "I've been playing my Mario games recently, and he makes one definitive statement that could sell this console: whee!!!"

Throw in some creative misspelling, and hence the Nintendo Wii.

At least it's not the Nintendo Waaaaaoooowwwww.

• 7 months later...

James Surowiecki on why Nintendo's decision to not compete with Sony and Microsoft was such a smart idea:

Nintendo has dropped out of this race. The Wii has few bells and whistles and much less processing power than its

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

My 78-year-old co-pastor came back from a visit with his kids and grandkids six months ago and told me he had gotten them a Nintendo Wii, and that he thought it was a lot of fun for the family. He had played it, and loved it. I had seen the commercials, but knew little about it.

This Thanksgiving, we spent time with Mrs. CrimsonLine's cousins on Long Island, who have a Wii, and we got to play games on it. We were hooked. What a cool machine, and what a great gaming philosophy, getting gamers off the couch, and getting them playing together as a family. But when we researched getting one, we discovered what all of you probably already knew, which is that Wiis were as scarce as Hillary Clinton supporters at an NRA convention. And if you want to get one online, you'll pay between $500 and $600 for the machine that lists at $250 retail. We couldn't afford a $250 machine, cool as it is, let alone one that would cost us half a grand. So we tried to put it out of our minds.

This Sunday, a friend and parishoner, in lieu of contributing to the pastor's Christmas gift offering, gave my family a Wii that he had been able to get basically by visiting every electronics store in the city every day for the last few weeks. He had gotten one for himself, and had gotten one for us. What a great gift!

We plugged it in and hooked it up, and are happily playing Wii Sports, making Miis (little characters that resemble you, that act as the onscreen player in Wii Sports and other Mii-enabled games), and having a blast.

The Wii has the capability, through the internet, of linking with other Wiis. Does anyone else here have a Wii? Wanna exchange Wii numbers and become Wii friends (I always feel a bit Scottish when I say that)? PM me.

Anyone have recommendations on which Wii games are awesome to play and appropriate for a 5-year old?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I doubt it's appropriate for a 5-year-old, but I think the upcoming Star Wars game, in which you use the Wii's controllers to wield a lightsaber, sounds pretty freakin' awesome!

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I was just saying to a friend that what the Wii needs is a lightsaber game!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

It's funny - the last video game console I owned was my Atari 1600, and I was seven. Since then, I have played video games on a gaming console maybe a handful of times - maybe 4 or 5 times? I have never been a gamer. But this Wii drew me in, mostly because of its gaming philosophy. I like what the Wii is built for.

Hmmm....I might just have to get around to creating that "Video games" forum that's been discussed from time to time.

I think this is a great idea!

One of my housemates has a Wii, and I play it from time to time. It's a lot of fun, especially the sports games. One of the guys in the house recently got the new Mario game, and--wow!--it's so well-designed it's nuts. It's almost disorienting.

Hmmm....I might just have to get around to creating that "Video games" forum that's been discussed from time to time.

I'm down with that.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Been playing Wii Sports - it's the only game we have right now - and I have a question:

What is the significance of your "Skill Level"? Is there any benefit to being a "Pro"? Or is it just a way to measure your progress?

Also, if we could buy only one more game this Christmas, what game should it be?

I'm leaning towards WiiPlay with the second remote...

I'm kind of like CrimsonLine. I've never been a video game guy. Not in elementary school when the Nintendo first came out nor every other subsequent system. I'm not sure how I surivived college without becoming a gamer. When the rest of my roommates went nuts on the N64 I quietly watched.

However, my cousin got a Wii for Christmas and I had a blast playing it with him yesterday. I only got to play bowling but it was great fun. Not enough to make me consider getting one mind you, but impressed none the less. No more sitting out for me.

On a related note, I heard somewhere that Wii's are extremely popular in retirement communities and assisted living residences. It is a great source of physical activity without having to deal with what can be a cumbersome and difficult task of bending over and picking up balls and what not. Way to go Nintendo.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw the ahem.

Edited by Kyle

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Queen Elizabeth loves playing the Wii.

A Palace source told The People: "When she saw William playing a game after lunch at Sandringham she thought the Nintendo looked tremendous fun and begged to join in.

"She played a simple ten-pin bowling game and by all accounts was a natural."

I guess that makes it the "Royal Wii"? I want to see footage of the Queen playing WiiPlay's cow racing game, "Charge!"

I doubt it's appropriate for a 5-year-old, but I think the upcoming Star Wars game, in which you use the Wii's controllers to wield a lightsaber, sounds pretty freakin' awesome!

Link please. I've been waiting for one of these . . . always thought it was the best kind of game for the Wii!

• 11 months later...

I got the Wii Music (with the handbell minigame) for Christmas, along with the slightly necessary Wii console. The major problem with the handbell minigame is that there's only five songs to play along to; otherwise it's, well, exactly like Guitar Hero for handbells, with the pluses and minuses that implies. That said, unlike Guitar Hero (but like drums with Rock Band), playing the minigame might potentially improve your ability on the actual instrument -- there's a lot of rhythmic skills here that could transfer over to playing actual handbells. B. Dale got a 52 on the bottom two bells of the easiest version of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"; for him being a three-year-old, I was very impressed.

I also got the Wii Fit for too-many-double-cheeseburgers-related reasons.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I wonder... how does one trigger their "Star Power" with handbells?

Opus, Twitter, Facebook