Sign in to follow this  
Andy Whitman

Favorite Band Names?

This is one of those fun little parlor games that only insecure music nerds play. I would like to say that they play it when they get together at parties, but insecure music nerds rarely shower and never leave their homes. So they post about it instead. The gist of the game is this: What are your favorite band names, and why? Note that this is how it does not work:

Edited by Andy Whitman

They Might Be Giants

and the band I was in as a child...

The Big Jump and Other Stories

Love Ends Disaster! is a favourite of mine. It's the exclamation mark that does it. They're an inventive indie band perpetually on the cusp of being signed, who I happen to know. Every now and then I post things on here to try to get people to check them out. It doesn't work.

All Bang and No Pretty. Based on a small child's criticism of certain loud, unpretty fireworks, they peformed one gig, which I was fortunate enough to hear. They were rubbish and so split up.

King Biscuit Time. A side project of The Beta Band (the only really original British pop band since the Beatles, possibly) Not sure what the music's like, but great name.

Stinkfist. Bad. Really, really bad. So wonderfully stupid.

Edited by stu

Big Head Todd & the Monsters

Squirrel Nut Zippers (I guess it's a candy, but ???)

Tenacious D (Love the macho sports reference, especially considering the attitude of the band)

Vigilantes of Love (The name sounds inspiring to me for some reason)

Engelbert Humperdinck (oh wait, that's a real name...and not a band...oops!)

Edited by popechild

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness

Both of these are just so tuff and hardcore, I can't help but like them.

The Revolutionary Army Of The Infant Jesus

Sounds incredibly pretentious and silly, but in all honesty, I can't think of a better name for this group, given their odd blend of apocalyptic folk, industrial, experimental, and ritualistic music.

lovesliescrushing

Soul Whirling Somewhere

Black Tape For A Blue Girl

And so many other bands goth/darkwave bands. (It's hard to ignore my past.)

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

The name comes from an obscure documentary on Japanese motorcycle gangs.

A Silver Mt. Zion

However, the band's latest iteration of their name - Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - is just a bit much for my taste. I like this simpler version.

Lift To Experience

The Lords Of The Rhymes

Namelessnumberheadman

Einst

The Decemberists -- Seriously, WHO names their band after a failed Russian revolutionary uprising? It only bodes well.

Further Seems Forever -- This band name seemed so over-the-top and romantically brooding...anyone with emo sensibilities is immediately sucked in.

Five Foot Annie -- Fun. Spunky. Has to be punk-ish. Sounds like a guilty pleasure.

The Flaming Lips - Beck's band ;)

Mental as Anything - An interesting band from down under.

Absence of Ceramics - early underground Christian alt,post-mod, alternative

Edited by Thom(asher)

The Vertical Pillows were a local (?) band in the early '80's. I may be wrong about where they hailed from, but they seemed to be around here all the time. Girl group of course.

The Plimsoles Great music too.

The Busboys Working in the restaurant industry at the time, I liked the dark, ironic take on restaurant employment prspects inherent in the name. Saw 'em live a Bookies here in Detroit, a former gay dive that catered to punk/new wave. Their encore was a "Brown Sugar" that rivaled the 'Stones themselves.

For a good, middle school classroom snicker, it's hard to beat

Test Icicles

Edited by coltrane

Leave it to opus to beat me to I Love You But...

So... a few others:

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Say what you will about them, you've just gotta hand it to a band that's crazy enough to put all their chips on an obscure Monty Python reference.

The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers - Maybe the only thing better than that is a band named after a Big Lebowski reference.

Zuzu's Petals - As long as I'm on a roll...

Yanni Difranco - Never did hear a note of the music, but wow.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - It's not just a band name, it's a public service announcement!

But my current favorite band name has to be...

Suburban Kids with Biblical Names

Crazy Swedish kids.

Death Cab for Cutie - I've always liked this name. It sounded tough with a softer edge.

Ghostface Killah - Again. Another tough name. Maybe because I'm a softie, I make up for it by enjoying tough sounding names such as the aforementioned ...and you will know us by the trail of dead.

Boobie prize for worst names:

Toad the Wet Sproket

Hootie and the Blowfish

The Dandy Warhols

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - It's not just a band name, it's a public service announcement!

Oh yeah, this one's a grabber. Never had heard of the band until MichaelRay included them on my mix CD, and right after the Flaming Lips. Results in kind of an unpleasant visual, but certainly got my attention.

The Postal Service - not a particularly imaginative name, but a year or two ago they got into a tussle with the actual United States Postal Service over use of the name, and in a post-modern twist ended up playing a gig for a USPS employee convention.

Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah! - I'm mildly ashamed of this, but I actually bought their debut online based solely on their name. I was not dissapointed.

Infernal Noise Brigade - an anarcho-syndicalist(it's sad that I'm familiar with that term) marching band that plays almost exclusively during mass protests and riots. The concept is better than the execution, but the name is entirely fitting.

The 77s - Coolest name for a Christian band, ever

JC Power Outlet - Early Jesus-rock band

Man? or Astroman - Local St. Louis band from a few years back

People Who Must - Popular band in Augusta, GA when I lived there

Drivin 'n Cryin - Regionally popular southern band from the early '90s

Johnny Q Public - Christian alt-rock band from the mid '90s

And two classic bands: Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones

77s = Seventy Sevens, as in Seventy Times Seven, Jesus saying how many times you must forgive someone. At least that what I've always thought the name referred to.

Or else they were named after Ray Bourque's uniform number.

Gimpy Joe and the Thanes of Cawdor -- which was, admittedly, my brother's band, but has there ever been that brilliant of a bipolar band name?

When I was in college and considering starting a band, I was going to call it The Billy Rehnquist Nine.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

77s = Seventy Sevens, as in Seventy Times Seven, Jesus saying how many times you must forgive someone. At least that what I've always thought the name referred to.

Or else they were named after Ray Bourque's uniform number.

They could have been named for the "Seventy Sevens" prophecy in Daniel, at least that's what I've always thought.

Another band name that I like but never had the opportunity to hear was Harry Gore and the Measles. Anyone ever hear them? With a name like they should at least be fun to listen to.

Death Cab for Cutie - I've always liked this name. It sounded tough with a softer edge.

I like the name more after having seen The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour film.

Crosslight My garage band, I got the idea of the name from seeing a poster in a local christian bookstore. There was this cross and there was lighting all around. And our easter play at my church. After they crucified Jesus they had him come out of the cave and there was a really bright light when he did, so therefore "Crosslight"

Emery I'm guessing that they got their name from a town? I was thinking about naming one of my bands Emeryville (I shop in my local town) but I'm debating on Emeryville or The SeVenth String for my side band names. And for some reason I think there is already a band called Emeryville, who knows

Hawk Nelson Reminds me of a sk8ing company.

Kutless I still wonder on how they got their band name. Since I'm the only "punk" at my school each time I wear my Kutless sweatshirt or t-shirt some kids I used to not get along with would come up to me and say "are you really kutless?" Then I would say, "No it's a christian band." and then he would make fun of my religion and I turned to him and said "Don't worry, one day you'll understand"

NOFX Sounds pretty cool to me.

Scary Kids Scarying Kids I think it's a cool band name :P

The Used I like the name, along with their songs, though they aren't a christian band along with Scary Kids Scarying Kids

Underoath Well they are my favourite band, the name sounds hardcore to the maxx, not even gonna lie

Switchblade Salad.

I don't think it's a real band, I think a friend of mine made it up. I've always thought it was great though, I can see some huge-mohawked punk ass band ripping the stage to shreds.

-s.