Sign in to follow this  
Anders

Book Club Returns

Possible choices for the next Book Club:  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There ya go ruthie!

Yes, I want my mix CD :P

Also, I've heard good things about Kite Runner.

Anders, you are so cool. :)

Woohoo! (Another cool thing about the board; learning new lingo--from Jeffrey in this instance).

And thanks, Anders. (Need to really get a membership for myself--or just pester Stu...)

Tossing in my reco for Borg & Wright. Would be a neat way to dive into a theology discussion for the broader board participants who are not currently studying it or practicing it.

Guest stu

Woohoo! (Another cool thing about the board; learning new lingo--from Jeffrey in this instance).

And thanks, Anders. (Need to really get a membership for myself--or just pester Stu...)

Oh, I get it! Favours for favours, is it? Well, we'll have to see about that...

Oh, I get it! Favours for favours, is it? Well, we'll have to see about that...

Ah, I see my lack of clarity comes out. What I meant was pestering you to start a poll. When I get my paypal sorted out*, I'll join up, I promise!

*Who knew the Paypal email asking me to re-accept the new user agreement wasn't a phishing scam!

Shall we consider The Meaning of Two Jesus' as the winner?

How long should we wait until we begin discussion? Also, how should the format go? Chapter by chapter? I've not seen or read the book, so any suggestions are welcome.

Guest stu

I have a copy of the book already. The format is that each chapter has a theme, and there is an essay from each of them, one in response to the other. So: "The Death of Jesus: 'Why was Jesus killed' by Marcus Borg, 'The crux of faith' by N T Wright'".

It is now time to be honest; the last book club was a wee bit of a flop. Sorry Wright & Borg...apparently, A&F just didn't "do" The Meaning of Jesus too well.

I would enjoy a bit of book discussion, would anyone else be up for another go at one?

I've mentioned it in another thread, but how about this book? It's well worth everyone's time, but I don't want to be pushy.

Anyone? Anyone?

I don't know whether to post here or there, but I'm up for it, at least...and maybe we could re-rope your previous takers. Alan, Nardis, Jeff??

I've mentioned it in another thread, but how about this book? It's well worth everyone's time, but I don't want to be pushy.

Anyone? Anyone?

I don't know whether to post here or there, but I'm up for it, at least...and maybe we could re-rope your previous takers. Alan, Nardis, Jeff??

I'm in - if I can find a copy of the book for cheap (or free, i.e. at the library).

And Ruthie, don't feel too bad about the last selection flopping. Most of our book club efforts have gone a bit floppy (except Gilead, which generated some pretty good discussion).

Not for this book, but I'd love to join in again. Maybe next one?

Seeing no excitement for the Keyes book, maybe it's better to simply encourage those who are interested to seek it out, rather than hold an official discussion.

This morning I listened to the Mars Hill Journal from November/December 2006. Keyes is one of the featured guests, discussing cynicism.

I really appreciate the heads-up on Keyes' book, Christian - am just not that keen on a discussion of non-fiction at the moment. I think it might be more fun to do a novel, but that's just my personal take. ;)

You know, I'd like to be a big and tough reader who is up for hard-core substances like non-fiction (and better yet, theological non-fiction), but sometimes you're just in the mood for fiction, that wonderful gateway reading genre.

I'll confess to being with you, nardis. A novel does sound good.

Beside, I'm better at discussing fiction.

Ditto. :)