Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

anybody watching Stanley Cup playoffs?

In the East, seeds 1, 2, 3, and 4 all advanced. In West, seeds 1, 2, 3, and 4 all eliminated.

Go Ducks!

Go Oilers!

Yes, this year's playoff run is providing an electric atmosphere here in Edmonton. Great fun -- and some great periods of hockey in the first round against Detroit, ending with an amazing third period in the last game.

I'm a hockey fan during the playoffs. :)

Go Oilers!

Yes, this year's playoff run is providing an electric atmosphere here in Edmonton. Great fun -- and some great periods of hockey in the first round against Detroit, ending with an amazing third period in the last game.

Wow, the analysis here is precisely the opposite. Particularly with respect to the sixth game, the thinking is that the Dead Things sat a little too comfortably on the lead in the third period and it slipped away. There is serious reflection and retrenching going on. It's hard to watch more of the playoffs.

You could say that Detroit let the game slip away -- but let's remember that the Oilers 'gave up' Game 1 in overtime, and the lead changed hanged numerous times during games in the series. And if you watch Hemsky's two goals at the end of game 6, esp. the pass from Samsonov, you have to say they came as the result of great offense, not dumb defensive play. But, then, an Edmonton fan will view these goals a little differently than a Detroit fan, eh?

But last night -- wow. San Jose just man-handled the Oilers in the second period. That 2-1 final REALLY flattered Edmonton.

Yeah. You're right. I can't watch right now. Only AFTER we lost did all the local "experts" CYA about how a quick team like Edmonton might be our weakness.

As to the goals, there are those here who did not criticize the defense, so much as the third period attitude that gave opportunity for those goals. Opportunity that was hard to come by in the first two periods. Mo faulting Edmonton. Nobody thought they would win and they were in every game with a chance to win. They won by taking advantage of the situation in a way the 'Wings never did.

Anders   

Didn't even notice that anyone else here cared about hockey.

Even though the past two games against San Jose have been painful...

GO OILERS!

I've been an Oilers fan all my life (probably because both of my parents were born in Edmonton). But let's face it, San Jose is a talented and FAST team. Edmonton is caught sitting on their heels often, as guys like Marleau and Michalek just blow past them. And I think Thorton is showing that he's the real deal. Perhaps the most talented player in the league.

Thankfully we've been getting some good goaltending from Roloson and Pronger has been solid.

I think we can bounce back at home and take the next two.

Dux go up 3 - nil. Lupul scores a hat trick in regulation and adds the game winner in OT.

Yes - amazing evening for Lupul. One for the books.

But how about Ryan Smyth last night?!! He got his teeth knocked out by a puck (shot by a teammate) -- gets treatment and comes back to set up the winning goal in the third overtime. What an amazing night of goaltending last night, esp. Toskala, but also Roloson. I think a lot of employees straggled in to work today...

Anders   

Last night in Edmonton was as exciting as hockey gets. ::w00t::

Anders   

My brother cheers for Colorado. If you want you can gloat and I can pass it on to him. :P

This sums up my TV viewing plans for tonight!

[attachmentid=543]

post-40-1150148857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Willson

jcc   

This sums up my TV viewing plans for tonight!

[attachmentid=543]

Nice sentiment. Unless the Oilers can find some way to get the power play going and very fast, the Cup will be awarded tomorrow night.

As a Canadian and normally a Canucks fan...too bad.

Clive

Yeah - painful to watch. Tough to watch Ryan Smyth miss a tip-in... and tough to see a wizard like Samsonov score so seldom. What a (rare) talent - the goal last night was sensational, but to have the lead wiped out 30 seconds later is such a deflating experience.

It's not over yet, but feeling less optimistic.

jcc   

Somehow, here we are at game seven of the Stanley Cup.

Edmonton's powerplay is finally showing signs of life and the grit that got them through earlier series is back.

However, Carolina was humiliated on Saturday's outing. Now they are before their home audience with something to prove.

This is going to be an exciting game. My preferred outcome: Oiler's win the cup in sudden death overtime. It would be an exciting way to bring the cup back to Canada for the first time in 13 years.

Clive

Anders   
:( Thanks a lot Darrel. This is hard enough as it is. So close and yet so far... :(

As Edmonton proved, the team in Anaheim is no longer mighty.

Edited by Darrel Manson

C'mon guys, finish up those series. The Duck are getting rusty waiting to see who they'll play next. Sharks or Redwings?

Um, Wings. yeehah. Nice knowin' ya' 'til after the series. :lol:

PF_826477_999~Detroit-Redwings-Logo-Post

Interesting game. This is going to be a fun series to watch. I'd say that the 'Wings and the Ducks are evenly matched. Even down to the goalies. Completely different styles in the crease, but each extremely effective.

I just saw the first period -- looked like a good game. the Ducks are at least getting shots, although in the first period, few were really good scoring ops.

Only saw the OT this time, but it still looks like a fun series. Great hit by Chelios!

And the Dux have taken away the home ice advantage!

Lots of major checking by the Ducks. That seems to keep Detroit off their play. Kinda remind me of them %&#@* Oakland Raiders in the 70's who played dirty.

Edited by BBBCanada