7th Heaven

Tim Willson

Slate has an article about tonight's series finale for 7th Heaven, calling the show the longest-running family drama in television history. (Who knew?)

The author pretty much slams the show, but ends with a wistful hope for it's return. (As mentioned in this thread, the WB network is basically becoming a new network this fall -- CW Network.) There is talk that 7th Heaven could get at least one more season on the new network, but tonight is the last one for now.

Any thoughts on 7th Heaven? I haven't seen a single episode in likely 3-4 years, but there was a time that we watched it together as a family every week -- back when our oldest was in her mid-teens. In lots of ways it was a great peek into the life of a family that was addressing some of the same issues that we were (smoking, drinking, sex, etc.) -- and while it may not qualify as profound or artful, it was both decent and reassuring.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

I liked it the first couple or three seasons, but as it later ran it became more moralizing and perfunctory. I started to intensely dislike the characters (especially Annie, the wife, and the blond daughter). The kids were boring, and the youngest girl couldn't act.

That was all IMO. I thought the quality of the show in later years was awful, and the stories were pulled out of a hat. I did like some of the small arcs--Annie's dad getting Alzheimer's, the Mary/vandalism, etc. But overall, I can't stand the series.

Subtlety is underrated

The show had its moments. For a show I claim to despise I've seen more than my fair share of episodes and I can only use the "my youth group kids watch it so I should watch it to gain connection points" excuse for so many episodes.

I do remember a "get out and vote" episode in 2004 that was one of, if not worst, hour in television history. I think the shows main problem is that they would cast good-looking, yet wooden characters.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

There was a time when the show, despite it's annoyingly moralizing tone, was actually pretty funny. But after a while the trite overwhelmed the humor.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

I remember watching this show many many years ago, in younger days...when I had a TV. I have seen it since and wondered, "Was my taste really that bad? I am thankful to see other people say that it did have its moments at the beginning...I still won't vouch for my earlier tastes; I am sure they are not completely exonerated, but at least I know that I wasn't completely off of my discerning rocker.

I caught the last two minutes. Those Camdens know how to reproduce. I think every Camden kid except Ruthie and the two younger twins announced they were having a kid or (in Simon's case) had a kid and didn't know it.

My husband and I watched the final episode of 7th Heaven. Of course, the theme was apparent before three minutes had passed, everyone is pregnant, Mary couldn't be there in the same room as her family, only by dream sequence and telephone, even though her brother Simon was (NOT) getting married.

:spoilers: ...and then...SPOILER ALERT in case anyone still cares...Matt, Lucy, AND Mary are all pregnant, and all with TWINS. But but but you say...that's only six babies...it's SEVENTH Heaven, after all...

Right at the end Simon's OLD girlfriend...the one with the baby...shows up at the non reception for the non wedding holding her son, and says "Simon...we need to talk."

Fade to black forever.

How in the WORLD did this tripe last for ten years? The theology, or lack thereof, of the Reverends Camden, and the ease with which the eldest PK can just decide to become Jewish...the whole idea that if everyone is nice enough, anything is possible?

It WAS a good show in the beginning. The end became issue-of-the-week driven, and the finale should have been MUCH better than that. It reminded me of how transparent the shark jumping was in "My Three Sons" its last season when Robbie had triplet boys - "My Three Sons a Deux"

Sigh.

I hate to admit it but I was drawn into the series the last 2 episodes of the first season and was interested in what direction the show would take over the years. However, after the second season, which was taped and watched after my wife got home from work, it started to go down hill and I didn't watch with any regularity.

Later I caught a few episodes here and there, what else can you do in the evening when you have a newborn who needs to be held and feed? Anyway, there was one episode that completely killed any value the show could have ever contributed to T.V. line up, culture and history.

There was a moment when Rev. Camden should have shared the gospel message with someone who asked about salvation and he chose to share the ever politically correct message of "love." Come on! He is a "Christian" so why shouldn't he speak like one. They have cops on T.V. swearing and showing their naked asses after pre-marital sex because that is part of the intricacies of character but they will not let a preacher share the gospel, which would be part of a multidimensional character.

The show become a tool to subtly push towards political correctness. If you didn't pay attention you would think the message was right on.

I agree with all of the statements made previously. I grew to dislike the Mother, Rev. Camden became quite like a puppy with his tail between his legs, and none of the characters were believable by the end.

BTW - I didn't see the final show.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Guess what? The drama will keep on rolling next season.

Better to call it a "network finale", as The WB will fold into the new CW network.

Once again, proving that no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence and lack of theological discernment of the American viewing public.

Although perhaps The Book of Daniel was the exception that proves the rule.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

It's baaa-aaack:

Part of the reason the new crop is so small is that an 11th-hour change of heart resulted in the return of "7th Heaven," which will begin its 11th season in the fall despite having aired its "series finale" last week.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It's always interesting to see the shows that are deemed to be popular (but which get cancelled) and the shows that "nobody watches" (but which continue to get picked up). Somebody is obviously watching 7th Heaven!

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.