Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

Stop-motion animation [Was: Claymation]

I am thinking about making a claymation/stop-motion short for my college portfolio. I will be using a standard video camcorder. How do I make the motion fluid and not as jerky. It is harder to do since I will not be doing it frame-by-frame. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Edited by SDG

I'm no expert, but I imagine if you don't know where to begin you should start with this book. I'm about to begin it myself.

FWIW, this may not be out in time for what you're doing, but HollywoodJesus.com contributor (and Vancouver resident) Ken Priebe has this book on stop-motion animation coming out in July.

Hey Peter...surprise! Even before I have a login, I'm mentioned on this board already! Weird. Thanks for the plug! My book will be available as of July 18. Just met Ron Reed for the first time recently and he directed me to this board. Looking forward to connecting.

Ken Priebe

For anyone in Vancouver or close to it...

VanArts, Sophia Books & ACM Vancouver SIGGRAPH present a special event for

Stop-Motion & Computer Animation

Ken Priebe (Author of The Art of Stop-Motion Animation)

Anthony Scott (Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, A Bugs Life, Toy Story 2)

Larry Bafia, Head of 3D Animation at VFS (Antz, Mars Attacks)

Wednesday, November 29

SDG   

For the release of The Boxtrolls: my latest for Catholic Digest.

Stop-Motion Macabre: Why do we love creepy movies about animated puppets?

What is it about stop-motion? The illusion of life never entirely suppresses the awareness that we are watching objects moving by themselves: puppets, dolls, toys. Any genre filmmaker knows the potential of innocent childhood things for creepiness. Dolls and toys evoke the precritical world of childhood, reaching past our rational defenses. There’s something dreamlike about the slightly herky-jerky effect of dolls moving and walking, an effect as old as the earliest silent films—and like silent film, seeming to belong to another world.

Why do we enjoy creepiness? Why do we watch scary movies or enjoy dressing up as ghosts or monsters on Halloween? Why did medieval Christians adorn their cathedrals with gargoyles and grotesques—and why did they illustrate and dramatize danses macabres, with Death leading a grim procession of human beings to the grave?

On some level, whatever frightens or repels us also draws us—and this is not simply perversity. The denizens of Halloweentown in The Nightmare Before Christmas are not wrong when they sing in their opening song, “Life’s no fun without a good scare.”

I had fun putting together this image for the piece, which will appear at Decent Films.

stop-motion-macabre.jpg